Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M-Rokkors
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: M-Rokkors Reply with quote

M-Rokkor lenses, f4/90mm, f2.8/28mm and f2/40mm

the 28mm has the dreaded 'white spot' problem:

with it's original hood:

the hood in 'transport' position:

the f2/40mm

rear:

with caps:

the f4/90mm with original collapsable hood

with Ricoh GXR M on which they fit 'natively'

cheers, andreas

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection, is the 28mm still usable? Surprised

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful series!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Nice collection, is the 28mm still usable? Surprised

photos have a strong haze, to a certain degree that can be corrected in PP, but I'd say that the 28, as it is, really is not useable.

on the net one finds many people that say that the white spots on the M-Rokkor 2.8/28 do not have any negative effect on IQ. What they will refer to is paint peeling off from the rim of the lens where black paint should prevent inner reflection, that paint peeled off is seen as white points around the rim of the front element, usually in quite a perfect circle, the socalled Schneideritis. That alone really should not impact IQ negatively, possibly it could result in flaring a bit more easily.
My lens has a later stadium of the 'desease', when broken off flackes of paint also settle around the middle of the rear of the front element. As I had to experience this really impacts IQ very strongly!

Unfortunately it is not easy to repair, the front lens, though a single element, cannot be disassembled 'normally' but one has to cut that block open. There is a "camera service" in the Netherlands that do that repair, I read they charge 75.- Euro for each fault + taxes + sending, that is 75.- for the Schneideritis and 75.- for the flakes in the middle of the front lens, incl. taxes and sending that makes a total of about 200.- So far I really like the 2/40 and the 4/90 very much indeed, still have high hopes for the 28mm too, shall first try to have it repaired by my 'lens doctor' in Saigon.

cheers, andreas

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Beautiful series!

thank's Attila, they are a joy in use and very good performers, ideal for any mirrorless

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had all of them on my RD-1 and they were great and easy to use. Still regretting having sold them...

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I had all of them on my RD-1 and they were great and easy to use. Still regretting having sold them...

Klaus I remember you having said the same about other RF glass too, right? You really better had kept them..
Since I am using mirrorless I have been trying to get myself a good set of RF glass! Actually first I had gone for the Pen-F halfframe lenses as rel. cheaper alternatives, but lately, in anticipation of a FF mirrorless that I may get eventually, I pretty much succeeded to complete a set of RF glass too. IMO these lenses just fit a mirrorless so much better than any SLR glass, now it only will be RF and halfframe lenses that go with me on my travels, so much lighter, so much less volume. ( not entirely true, shall carry min. my SLR Macro lens, maybe 1 or 2 others more, but for normal street use lately it has been and in foreseeable future it will be RF and halframe lenses only )
Have prices of RF glass been rising? Actually I am not sure, I don't know the prices of 2 or more years ago, since you sold your's you will know. I much suppose that more and more users of mirrorless will want more and more RF glass, that therefore prices most likely will continue to rise, or in other words, if wanted used RF lenses better to get them soon