Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lydith - I am an idiot!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
I agree that the Lydith is good, but the Primagon is better.

Personally I prefer the Lydith, so far, but as my Lydith is M42 and my Primagon is in Exakta fit they don't usually find themselves in the same bag, so I've not made a direct comparison … something I'll have to rectify Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
KEO wrote:

Personally I prefer the Lydith, so far, but as my Lydith is M42 and my Primagon is in Exakta fit they don't usually find themselves in the same bag, so I've not made a direct comparison … something I'll have to rectify Wink

I like the Lydith too. I just find the Primagon to have a very unique and very wonderful character. That includes everything from the bokeh to the way the flaring looks.

One thing those two lenses have in common is that the rear element is held in place by three screws. Be very careful of them if you ever disassemble either of the lenses - they've been calibrated at the factory, and if you loosen any of the screws, you can mess up the alignment of the rear element. It's very tricky to get it back the way it should be.

There are some "bad" copies of both the Lydith and the Primagon out there that have that problem. Just a word of caution.

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
kypfer wrote:
KEO wrote:

I like the Lydith too. I just find the Primagon to have a very unique and very wonderful character. That includes everything from the bokeh to the way the flaring looks.

One thing those two lenses have in common is that the rear element is held in place by three screws. Be very careful of them if you ever disassemble either of the lenses - they've been calibrated at the factory, and if you loosen any of the screws, you can mess up the alignment of the rear element. It's very tricky to get it back the way it should be.

There are some "bad" copies of both the Lydith and the Primagon out there that have that problem. Just a word of caution.

Like 1 small
Like 1 small Good tip!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
KEO wrote:

Ah. I keep all my M39, M42 and Exa mount lenses on converters to Canon EF mount ready to shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
Nice!

Does it not hit the mirror on your 5Dii? It was hitting mine.

Certainly not the new issue, let's just check the legacy version...nope, safe and sound. EXA mount and EOS adapter, not that there should be any difference there.

I seem to recall there being a trend for getting the mirror ground back to avoid legacy glass some years back.

My Lydith is M42 and yes, it hits the mirror at infinity.

Grinding the mirror sounds a bit extreme and probably not worth doing on my old camera. Hopefully not an issue on later EOS bodies.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
kypfer wrote:
KEO wrote:

Ah. I keep all my M39, M42 and Exa mount lenses on converters to Canon EF mount ready to shoot.

One of my Pentax DSLRs is "semi-permanently" set up for M42, so the Lydith is usually in that bag, if not mounted on that camera.
My Exakta and M39 lenses are used with adaptors on my Samsung mirrorless (bought specifically for the purpose), so the systems are usually separated, though I have a hat-full of adaptors for the NX so it'd be easy enough to use the Lydith on that … just haven't got around to it Wink