Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for places to buy old/out of date film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Looking for places to buy old/out of date film Reply with quote

After reading this lovely blog: http://curatingcuteness.com/2013/05/35mm-film-guide/ I decided to be more adventurous with buying old film, so I bought some Ferranias "SUPER HD" 200. No idea if that is similar to Solaris?

Anyway, where do you lovely people buy your old/expired film? Can you recommend any sellers/places?

I am based in the UK...

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay is about the only source I know of offhand. Every once in a while, I'll run across some old stock, but it's never any sort of dependable source.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any film examples that have given people good results despite being expired? Or any fave ebay sellers?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few random ones in case they are of any use:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzgrdplemtmm6an/2015-05-27%2017.20.33.jpg?dl=0

Other than that there seems to be a good few sources on ebay for expired film.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my film shooting is on expired film. Some are from 2009, and some are a lot older. My oldest film by now has en expiry date of 1967, ORWO NP10 b/w film.

I get them from local charity shops and sometimes from a dutch internet marketplace, a bit like ebay, but just for the Netherlands.

Check my flickr albums for results. I get the best results from old Kodak film, i must say however that i overexpose colorfilms always by appr 1 stop per decade.

Here are my albums: https://www.flickr.com/photos/chantalrene/albums

ORWO NP10 film from 1967, at boxspeed (ISO8):

NP10 (1967) boxspeed shot! by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
eBay is about the only source I know of offhand. Every once in a while, I'll run across some old stock, but it's never any sort of dependable source.

+1

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abr_brs wrote:
I have a few random ones in case they are of any use:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzgrdplemtmm6an/2015-05-27%2017.20.33.jpg?dl=0

Other than that there seems to be a good few sources on ebay for expired film.

I am happy to give it a shot! I am teaching my very young son film photography, so it could be a good fun way to experiment?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Most of my film shooting is on expired film. Some are from 2009, and some are a lot older. My oldest film by now has en expiry date of 1967, ORWO NP10 b/w film.

I get them from local charity shops and sometimes from a dutch internet marketplace, a bit like ebay, but just for the Netherlands.

Check my flickr albums for results. I get the best results from old Kodak film, i must say however that i overexpose colorfilms always by appr 1 stop per decade.

Here are my albums: https://www.flickr.com/photos/chantalrene/albums

ORWO NP10 film from 1967, at boxspeed (ISO8):

NP10 (1967) boxspeed shot! by René Maly, on Flickr

Love your omegaflex images!!

I should try marktplaats. I am Dutch, and have family in Holland, so it should be feasible Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Indeed, marktplaats is the name! Just check on a regular base, every now and then you can find some films there!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for which outdated film I have had experience with, well, by far it's been Kodak Plus-X Pan. I had almost a brick of the stuff, all dated 1983, that had been frozen for much of this time span, certainly from when it came into my possession back in about 1992 or so. It sat in my freezer until about 2010, when I finally started going through it. It worked great, I found, but after having shot several rolls at box speed and using normal developing times and temperatures (using Kodak D-76 as my developer), I noticed the negatives looked a bit thin. So to counteract this, I increased specified development times by 1 minute, which seemed to take care of the problem.

Sadly, it's gone now. I shot my last roll of this Plus-X a couple of weeks ago. Haven't developed it yet. Need to get around to that soon.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I get a lot from boot sales, 10p, 20p etc but won't pay more than 50p unless it's something special as you can get Agfa Vista 200 from Poundland for erm £1.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a boot sale?
I can find many expires rolls in ebay but like 1 euros per film roll. These are for films that are expired few years ago.
Would you change exposure setting on a film that has expired few years ago? (I do not develop color film at home so I can only "alter" exposure).

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
What is a boot sale?
I can find many expires rolls in ebay but like 1 euros per film roll. These are for films that are expired few years ago.
Would you change exposure setting on a film that has expired few years ago? (I do not develop color film at home so I can only "alter" exposure).

Regards
Alex

A boot sale is usually where people drive their cars into an open field and set up tables to sell their stuff..supposed to be unwanted stuff e.g. clearing out your loft or garage or kids that have out grown toys and so on. but many traders have joined in selling new stuff in the very large boot sales.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:

Would you change exposure setting on a film that has expired few years ago?

If i have films made by Kodak, Fuji or other top-brands and they are between 5 and 10 years expired i adjust exposure a bit, so 200ISO will be exposed at 160, 400 at 320.
When 10 years have passed i adjust 1 full stop, 400 at 200, 200 at 100 and so on.
2, 3 or 4 years, i just shoot box speed, except 400 and higher ISO films, they tend to get bad sooner than slower film, i try to avoid high ISO colorfilms because in my experience you get flat colors and loads of grain.

Of course, how it has been stored is of great importance, but you can never be sure. I have bought a lot of film from an ex-pro, straight out of the freezer, yet some rolls i that i shot at box speed didn't come out that well....

You can see my results on my flickr pages.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some old(ish) films if youre still interested?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Excalibur thanks for the explaining
@TrueLoveOne thanks for the tips
@trev thanks for the offer pm please

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
alaios wrote:
What is a boot sale?

Regards
Alex

A boot sale is usually where people drive their cars into an open field and set up tables to sell their stuff..supposed to be unwanted stuff e.g. clearing out your loft or garage or kids that have out grown toys and so on. but many traders have joined in selling new stuff in the very large boot sales.

Here in the US, we call those events "swap meets." They were all over the place when I lived in SoCal. And I often found some great deals on camera gear and something else I collect -- fountain pens. Here in Houston, they're almost non-existent. I've found only one and it's populated almost entirely by south-of-the-border hispanics. Nothing particularly wrong with that, but almost all of the stalls are selling cheap new junk. Last time I was there I found maybe two or three dealers who had used gear. But one of 'em had a Majestic tripod (very expensive, very heavy duty, often used in the movie business) that I picked up for $25. I thought about selling it on eBay, but I decided I didn't want have to mess with boxing that monster up and shipping it. So I just kept it. It makes for a great base for my heavier photo gear, though.

Sorry, drifting off topic . . . but yeah, some swap meets are most heavily populated by dealers who sell new goods, as you mentioned, and some are populated mostly be the folks who have used stuff to sell. I have always preferred the latter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
alaios wrote:
What is a boot sale?

Regards
Alex

Here in the US, we call those events "swap meets." They were all over the place when I lived in SoCal. And I often found some great deals on camera gear and something else I collect -- fountain pens. Here in Houston, they're almost non-existent. I've found only one and it's populated almost entirely by south-of-the-border hispanics. Nothing particularly wrong with that, but almost all of the stalls are selling cheap new junk. Last time I was there I found maybe two or three dealers who had used gear. But one of 'em had a Majestic tripod (very expensive, very heavy duty, often used in the movie business) that I picked up for $25. I thought about selling it on eBay, but I decided I didn't want have to mess with boxing that monster up and shipping it. So I just kept it. It makes for a great base for my heavier photo gear, though.

Sorry, drifting off topic . . . but yeah, some swap meets are most heavily populated by dealers who sell new goods, as you mentioned, and some are populated mostly be the folks who have used stuff to sell. I have always preferred the latter.

Well I can't understand why many countries in the world don't have boot sales (for you it would be trunk sales Wink )....it's a great idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it is a great idea. I've been going to swap meets since the mid-1970s. But anymore these days, it seems as if they've been replaced by eBay and Craig's List.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at this auction, some price this batch of 50 rolls fetched! There are 2 "sample" rolls included, but the rest is mostly plain old film and re-branded expired stuff......
Didn't think it would go up this high, imho this is just collectors value at that price.

http://veiling.catawiki.nl/kavels/1941088-kavel-van-50-bijzondere-en-deels-unieke-kleinbeeldfilms?previous=favorites

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High speed film is toast quickly. High speed isn't film's sweet spot anyway.

I never shot silver BW but I should think it works as before, only maybe a little less contrasty, more fog, maybe need special development

Low speed film keeps very, very long. I have shot rolls of Sensia exp. 2000 or so in 2009 and they were fine. Fuji 100 from 1989 (!) gave that old-color-photograph look. very cinnamon-y too.

I am not sure tinkering with the exposure will improve things. The main problem is the color shifts and crossing, weird hues, blacks becoming green etc. Luckily I'm not gifted with colormetry eyes. I look at fine picture and expert cries in tears about the yellow tint.
You can't fix color shifts with exposure. And you probably can't fix washed-out colors with exposure, since these come from the dye couplers having gone sour over time.

Man I still have 1 Scala 200 and some Fuji 100 I know I'll probably never shoot :<