Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Liverwort gametangia / Pentax SMC 100mm F4 macro m42 more
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Liverwort gametangia / Pentax SMC 100mm F4 macro m42 more Reply with quote

I had the lens out of the box for a couple of days. It is a remarkable specimen of a great macro lens. My copy is in near mint condition includes box, original packing foam, provenance, hard case, lens caps and hood. I noticed this liverwort fruiting on the surface of an azalea bonsai pot. I have a coworker who is a botanist, he helped me with the names. These are mostly wide open indoor with incandescent and halogen lighting.

100% crop

another:

according to this website the little starfish shaped thing is the female "archegonium" :

https://www.boundless.com/biology/textbooks/boundless-biology-textbook/seedless-plants-25/bryophytes-156/liverworts-and-hornworts-611-11830/

of course the surface of the pot is also covered with club mosss and spaghnum moss. The tendrils are the fruiting bodies of the club moss.

Since I had the lens out I took some other photos:

A couple of crops on this one. I was focused on the hairs at the bas of the petals and the dropelt of water is almost in focus.

That will conclude todays biology lesson. Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful work, the liverwort is excellent!

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great lens for sure and an interesting botany lesson.
Thank you
Tom

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos of an interesting subject.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I have lived in western Oregon my whole life and have seen lots of liverwort and bladderwort plants but have never noticed the fruiting bodies before.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Thanks all. I have lived in western Oregon my whole life and have seen lots of liverwort and bladderwort plants but have never noticed the fruiting bodies before.

That, of course, is one of the benefits of photography in general, and of macrophotography in particular -- the photographer is more likely to ~notice~ interesting specific subjects that otherwise remain unobserved. Smile

Nice shots with a nice lens -- thanks for sharing.