Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Limits of Kodak Gold 200@160 (hi-res samples)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Limits of Kodak Gold 200@160 (hi-res samples) Reply with quote

Here are few samples showing limitations of Kodak Gold 200 shooted at 160 (click for ~7,0Mpix scans made on Epson V500, then sharped and scaled to ~3,5Mpix).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the tonal range, sharpness and saturation look good. I don't recall ever shooting Kodak Gold 200 at EI 160, but I've down-rated the ISO on other print emulsions. Typically it gives a noticeable improvement to color saturation. Is that what you're finding to be true with the Kodak 200?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it is same.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such beautiful countryside and gardens! mmmmmmmm, gooseberries! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

especially for you: its YUMY also! Twisted Evil

this is actually red currant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see how it performs here. Better than in my experiences.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice 3D effect in most of the images. I like Kodak Gold 200, but I have always shot it at box speed.
I especially like the top photo.
What kit did you use?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual this, only 1+3+4 are taken with minolta 28-80 kitlens (manually focused Smile) - i dont have wide angle manual lens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob van Sikorski wrote:
As usual this, only 1+3+4 are taken with minolta 28-80 kitlens (manually focused Smile) - i dont have wide angle manual lens.

28mm is usually wide angle enough for my taste Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, several months ago (i believe its more tha one year), i have for few days 20mm/F3.5 Mir - BIG lens but i really liked it. In some cases, 28mm is not wide enough. but in general, i completely agree.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look tasty indeed. Thank you! Blackberries other side? Made just the way I like...

The Wild Gooseberries here have spines, there are not enough Wild Currants though Huckleberry bushes are thick and abundant, though a challenge to gather enough for a pie, but the reward is well worth the effort, just elbow the bears in the way Laughing Salmon, Black caps, Salal, Manzanita, and of course Black berries. Wild Strawberries get big in gardens. North of here is Oregon Grape, and farther in Washington is a berry even more delicious than and similar to Blackberry in appearance but larger and ranges in color from yellow to deep orange...the name escapes me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have several types of gooseberries in our garden, some have small spines and tastes excellent (dont even mention other types of "products of nature" which i dont even know their czech name Smile). this depends on variety, some can be terrible in our climate, some are gorgeous and tasty. speciality of czech republic is that, we can have 18 degrees of celsius one day and 5 on other. record made here in my lifetime was 28 degrees celsius drop between morning and 12AM in the same day! also, in summer, you can see as much as ~37°C in shadow (over 60 in sunlight), but in winter, you can found yourself "shaking" in -20°C. so we need here to yuse of types, which survives small amount of watter in summer, but dont freeze to death in winter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Czech names either! Laughing

Huckleberry in flower (flowers about 1/2cm, leaves 2-3cm long), immature berries:

Salmon berry flower (~3cm) also called Thimble berry; berries detached look like small sewing thimble, the dimpled tip, red:

Black caps are similar to Salmon/Thimble, half the size, dark red-purple.

Manzanita (or Urva Ursi) flower (Arctostaphylos), 1/2cm; fruits look and taste like tiny apples, texture is like and is sweet as coarse raw sugar. Not much flesh and hard red seeds inside, usually they are dried, crushed, & seeds sifted to separate the sweet 'flour' -- definitely a wild food not many know or have tried:

Here also, on high ridge within reach of winds blowing over 5-10C ocean, temperature swings wildly too, sometimes 20C one day (within hours) and 5C the next. Perfect berry-growing weather? To the south is California wine country; similar hot days, cool nights produce flavorful grapes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorgeous flora ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Here are few samples showing limitations of Kodak Gold 200 shooted at 160 (click for ~7,0Mpix scans made on Epson V500, then sharped and scaled to ~3,5Mpix).***

Well I don't understand the thread as shooting colour neg film at 160asa instead of 200asa is not going to make any difference in practice (well might in a scientific/laboratory test), anyway when I can always set the asa rating down as safety factor for mistakes in slight under exposure from user error or old cameras.
Also the mention of "limitations" of gold? compared to what? Fuji 200asa or slide film? as far as I know Gold was produced mainly for cheap P&S cameras to give more vivid colours, but I have used it quite a few times and can't think of anything serious to complain about.

Viv 28-105mm Kodak gold, and it would seem the horse is going blind in one eye:-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, gold200 used as 160 gives better results, at least for me. you can say lot of things about "why to do that", but it doenst change anything about my point of view. by "limitations" i mean mostly the grain, which is very limiting details in photos compare to pro films like Ektar100. this thread is not about "how gold200 is shitty", its abou "look, gives great result, but with some limits, dont expect too much from it".

btw your sample is too small, i was putting here BIG scans for a reason Smile. but nice horse.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob van Sikorski wrote:
well, gold200 used as 160 gives better results, at least for me. you can say lot of things about "why to do that", but it doenst change anything about my point of view. by "limitations" i mean mostly the grain, which is very limiting details in photos compare to pro films like Ektar100. this thread is not about "how gold200 is shitty", its abou "look, gives great result, but with some limits, dont expect too much from it".

btw your sample is too small, i was putting here BIG scans for a reason Smile. but nice horse.

erm well sorry to disagree again:- but using gold at 160asa on any camera? and using the cameras in built exposure meter? or do you use a Kodak grey card with a spot on calibrated exposure meter before each shot? Do you use fresh film everytime because Kodak gold is designed to "mature" for best results after a certain time...also scanning can introduce more errrors and would also say that the C41 process should be the same anywhere in theory but results on negs can vary from whom is doing the processing.
As for grain, I had no idea what Gold was like so scanned a Gold neg at 3200:-

Scanner V750 as it comes just colour correction using Epson scan program, Kodak Gold with Helios 58mm lens:-

Blow up which would be a picture of 6' across, measured across a computer screen:-