Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Limestone Mary
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Limestone Mary Reply with quote

Earlier this week I found myself in suburban Chicago and with some time to kill. So I took a dawn hike around Libertyville. The light was pretty good and I captured some decent shots. Here are some shots of a limestone effigy of Virgin Mary. These are a mix of film and digital, so the gear I used is captioned.

Nikon F3, 28-200 Tamron at 28mm wide open at F3.5. The film: Walgreens brand. No kidding.

The same image as a monochrome conversion. A bit grainy, but I prefer it to the color version.

Pentax K-7 with 28mm Vivitar f2.8 set at f4. Monochrome conversion.

Nikon F3, 28mm, f3.5. Not perfectly framed, but the lighting seems agreeable for the subject.

Pentax K-7 with the Vivitar at f4. Monochrome conversion with the cyan and blue bars artificially darkened to make the sky black.

I was just lucky to get to photograph this statue in near-perfect lighting. The sun had just peaked the Des Plaines River's tree line and cast a nice wedge. Even better, since Mary faced north, the shadows cast at nice angles across the ripples in her robe and veil. Some of the best photos I took all trip.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st and 4th for me...in the first you might need a wider hood.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I don't have a hood. The lens just vignettes at 28mm. The others that I shot with this lens were about 30mm.