Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lightroom makes me feel old!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Lightroom makes me feel old! Reply with quote

How do I open just one file to edit?

Whenever I open the program, it always shows my last upload folder.

I just can't work it out so I am using Elements 5 again!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to import the photo before any editing...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the images are already in the correct place on your computer, when you import you can select the Add option, and it will add the images you select to your catalogue without moving them or copying them.

If your images are on your camera, you could use the Move option instead.

Lightroom does not show the images as they are on your filesystem as such - it records various bits of data relating to the images, and displays entries in the catalogue based on that information. It means that Lightroom can do things such as create virtual copies of images without making a copy of the original source file, for example.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drag the file from file-browser window onto LR window...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They said Ned Ludd was an idiot boy
That all he could do was wreck and destroy, and
He turned to his workmates and said: Death to Machines
They tread on our future and they stamp on our dreams.

I am becoming a Luddite. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had a point though. Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop for me - drag 'em from wherever they are right into it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I tried again with Lightroom and suddenly (well, after watching many Youtube videos) it finally clicked and I have been enjoying using it. It's only taken me 5 years!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well persevered!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Last year I tried again with Lightroom and suddenly (well, after watching many Youtube videos) it finally clicked and I have been enjoying using it. It's only taken me 5 years!

Well, good for you. I've tried it several times, never could make heads or tails of it, so I just went back to Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. I've been happy with these, cuz they do everything I need -- and a whole lot more.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
skida wrote:

Well, good for you. I've tried it several times, never could make heads or tails of it, so I just went back to Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. I've been happy with these, cuz they do everything I need -- and a whole lot more.

I never used Lightroom (only PS), but I am also very old school and procedural in my way of thinking:

- I open a program (yes, program, not APP Rolling Eyes )
- In the program I then go to file -> open
- I then browse in a proper directory/file browser for the file I want (you can't fold a directory, so folders don't really exist Wink )
- I do whatever operations I need to do on the file
- I then go to file -> save as
- I then browse in a proper directory/file browser and give the file an appropriate new name
- And save

This is just about the only logic my brain can work with Smile

Once a program automatically starts organising things in "projects" and behind-the-scenes hidden library structures I feel like throwing my computer out the window.

Yes, I'm a dinosaur. Before the meteor everything really was better, and comfortably slow... Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Yes, I'm a dinosaur. Before the meteor everything really was better, and comfortably slow... Smile

+1 Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since retiring in December I have had a bit of time to persevere and I am now accomplished in the use of Lightroom (enough to do my 2 minute edits, anyway). I have also began home processing film (B&W so far, but C41 will come soon). Recently I started a film photography vlog on youtube, too (though I must admit video editing isn't really my forte), so I am beginning to feel a bit more "modern". Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats