Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Light seal repair kit for Canon A35F and generally?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Light seal repair kit for Canon A35F and generally? Reply with quote

I'm posting this here because I've emailed an ebay vendor of light seal repair kits twice and not had a response. Maybe his wife's having a baby.

I need to replace the seals on my recently acquired A35F rangefinder. I could hope this guy'll eventually reply or maybe there are other kits around or maybe it's a simple job to get hold of the right foam and make one myself.

I won't be the first to need such a thing and you're all so experienced here...

help guys please?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use black electrical tape after film is loaded to seal door Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you replacing the film door seals? You can do it yourself with some string: http://mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/light_seals/index.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ebaY user 'interslice' aka Jon Goodman used to be a good source of light seal kits and bits of various thickness foam, but he's not there anymore. Sad I used his kits on several spotmatics, with great results.

Looks like kyphoto gained copyright to his kit instructions: http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/sealreplacement.html

Perhaps those will be helpful if you can find a source for the foam...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.micro-tools.com has foam. They call it "light baffle"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the light seal on only two cameras so far
for the second I had found some foam mats in a hardware store for just a few bucks, still had to cut it into shape, looked very much like the ones sold at micro tools.
for the first one I had used a hemp string / cord, very easily available, no need to cut, easy to clue in and it works too

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Well, ebaY user 'interslice' aka Jon Goodman used to be a good source of light seal kits and bits of various thickness foam, but he's not there anymore. Sad I used his kits on several spotmatics, with great results.

Darn, I was going to order a couple of interslice kits this spring and never got around to it... Did Jon Goodman retire from the light seal business?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I seem to be looking at:

a. black sticky tape over the door once the film is in or,
b. DIY foam seals - start raiding the packaging and neoprene stash now or,
c. bits of string to replace bits of foam.

I think the plan will be to clean the goo from the camera, load it, seal it in and see if it works as a camera. Maybe then invest some time in options b/c.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:

I think the plan will be to clean the goo from the camera, load it, seal it in and see if it works as a camera. Maybe then invest some time in options b/c.

a sound plan Exclamation
good idea with the packaging material, those white foams should work well

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you willing to use camera frequently by foam and make it right, if take out this camera just twice a year as I do with my leaking camera , black tape just fine.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Darn, I was going to order a couple of interslice kits this spring and never got around to it... Did Jon Goodman retire from the light seal business?

You could try mailing him..
jon_goodman@yahoo.com
I haven't been in contact with him lately.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a maintenance fitter I have used a gasket material that is basically a very pliable silicone string, the thinnest I've seen is about 2mm diameter but they probably make thinner. I can't remember the manufacturer at the moment, but I have some in my workshop so I'll find it and do some research. If I forget, remind me ! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:

Packaging material is manufactured to biodegrade relatively quick...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed Jon Goodman (interslice) and the reply might be of interest to some of you:

Quote:

I am still in the business, however continued fraud and piracy on eBay have caused me to have to start a new company. As such I will not have a new PayPal account in conjunction with that company until all paperwork is approved by the US Govt. However, I can accept mail-in payments. Please advise if that will work for you, and please advise which camera or cameras you have.
Best regards,
Jon Goodman

As noted above his email is jon_goodman@yahoo.com