Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Light leak?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Light leak? Reply with quote

Hi, I've just started shooting film. Two photos of the film have the weird white stripes on them. They look very much like light leaks to me, but I don't understand why they appear at different angles.. Can someone help me diagnose?

I tried to shoot the flashlight of my phone into lens during night, and used the B shutter - I couldn't see any light on the back side of my camera. It's possible that I didn't examine carefully enough though.

Camera I'm using is Praktica MTL5 (which has, as people say, undestroyable light seals), with Pentacon 50 1.8. The film is Ilford HP5 Plus.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.. I'm not sure whether the pics can be seen. They show up when I preview but just refuse to do so (at least for me) in the final post. If they don't appear, please use the links instead

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20163/big_9624_10030010_2.jpg

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20163/big_9624_10030017_2.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't look like light leaks to me. They look more like flare in the lens.
In the first photo the light strips add shining spots on the bicycles. It means the light was in the frame when you made the photo and not a light leak.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
They don't look like light leaks to me. They look more like flare in the lens.
In the first photo the light strips add shining spots on the bicycles. It means the light was in the frame when you made the photo and not a light leak.

Thanks, I hope so. Maybe I should try some color films in order to judge better?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessary. If you have light leaks, it won't matter which film or lens you use. It won't even matter if you have a lens mounted. I would try shooting with the sun at my back -- or at least well out of the frame -- and see what the differences are.

Just out of curiosity, what lens was used for these shots?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
....Just out of curiosity, what lens was used for these shots?

And with or without shade???

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be light leak / reflection from mirror / prism housing?

put camera on B, cap on the lens and look from the back if something shines inside

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
....Just out of curiosity, what lens was used for these shots?

And with or without shade???

It is Pentacon auto 50mm f1.8, without shade. So yeah, it can be flare since I was not using a shade.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
could be light leak / reflection from mirror / prism housing?

put camera on B, cap on the lens and look from the back if something shines inside

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like sun-rays...difficult to " catch " right , there are examples on the net,..when you are lucky , it makes for nice moody shots , Nothing Wrong with your rig !!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everybody! Seems like the camera is fine - I could not see any sign of leakage. Anyway, I'll just keep on shooting:)