Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leotax S + Simlar Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Leotax S + Simlar Lens Reply with quote

I have just recently acquired an old leotax s leica copy with a 1.5/50mm simlar lens (a Sonnar copy?). The lens is in decent shape - two fine scratches on the back element and some smaller cleaning marks on the front plus it has a quite a few bubbles in the glass itself, no dust that I can see however. None of these strike me as something that would effect pictures though.

The leotax itself is a little worse for wear. The cloth shutter has long ago deteriorated and doesn't even pretend to move. Leatherette probably could use a cleanup but thats about it. Everything else is pristine.

Anyone know where I could get the camera fixed or if it is even worth it? The leotax is supposedly the best of the Japanese leica copies. The few samples I have found on the bay are quite pricey but there are no bids...so that doesn't really tell me anything.

Any opinions or suggestions?
Thanks so much in advance
~Marc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue, when I put to the google 'leotax' plenty of entries come.Seems you get a valuable cam!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sonnar 1.5/50 is a great lens, as is its Russian copy, the Jupiter-3.
If your lens has been produced on a decent level, you surely will enjoy it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera is probably well worth fixing - some of the Leica copies fetch more than some Leicas themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The couple of repair places online that I've found offer the full CLA and shutter replacement for somewhere around $300 - probably a bit more. Would it be worth spending the money on repairs to sell, or better to just sell as "as-is"?

I would love to hold onto the camera but rangefinders were never my thing, I'd much rather use my bulky zenit slr (I know, I know I'm weird). Also I've always sworn to myself that I would buy never for rarity but rather functionality and usability so totting around with a expensive camera doesn't strike my fancy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to sell, pls ask here first. We have some RF fans... Wink