Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lentar Preset 135/3.5 T-mount - what is this ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Lentar Preset 135/3.5 T-mount - what is this ? Reply with quote

A very nondescript, generic-looking lens, I picked it up thinking that it was the T-mount version of a very common Tokina/Tokyo Koki - made lens, which is of course part of a whole series of very common lenses. I already have a fixed-mount version of this (or so I thought) sold by Sears. The Lentar brand is also known to be almost exclusively used for old Tokinas.

But it isn't a Tokina.

Here it is among some real Tokinas.

L-R - Palinar 100/4, this odd Lentar, Sears 135/3.5, Lentar 200/4.5, Caspeco 300/5.5

The focusing ring turns in the opposite direction to all the others, it has different fundamental dimensions than the 135/3.5 Sears-Tokina (which also focuses closer), the diaphragm design is different, etc.

There were a lot of Japanese makers of these types of lenses in the 1960's of course. Its not a Tokina, its the wrong style for a Sankor or Tamron or Komine (I think). It could be a late Fujita, early Sigma, or early Cosina. One day I may figure it out.

As a lens, it is an utterly typical, almost generic preset lens in the Japanese style of its day. Its very well made, works smoothly (almost Takumar-style, but not quite). It lacks a bit in minimum focus, only 6ft/2m.

Performance is excellent, sharp at f/3.5, and with little flare. Flare btw, is one of the big differentiators of these things. I don't know why some of these 135's are so much better than others.

Some pictures with an extension ring -

The bird -

Crop -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive as always.

Amazed at the quality of these lenses you present.
I guess your skill has something to do with it also. Very Happy

/Jan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Lentar 135 Reply with quote

Your lens certainly performs well - I'm afraid my knowledge of Japanese manufacturers is very limited, but I recall this pattern of lens being sold here in the UK under a variety of names - usually by the smaller importers which might imply it was made by one of the smaller Japanese factories.

I wonder if the difference in performance might be linked to the way the lens barrels are made and finished. Possibly differences in the non-reflectivity of blacking materials, the presence or lack of baffles, and the blacking (or not) of the edges of lens elements?

I love your seagull. Where can I get one?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola Luis.

Looking at your consistent job and from other members too, found that the 3,5/135 lens "not first class branded" (in some times bargains), are really very good lenses even at wide open and with nice bokeh.

It seems to be right to say "almost not bad 135 mm lenses".

I will go for 2 sankors 135, a 3,5 and a 2,8 ones.

Rino.