Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens Turbo II on full frame
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By chance, I found two raw images in my archive.
The seascape is the 85/1.2 nFD on LT2
The landscape is the 35/1.4 Sigma Art on Metabones. In this case, although the MB covers slightly more, it's the lens that vignettes - which is to be expected with wide angles. Nonetheless, it gives a 28/1, which is quite nice. (Both lenses wide open, without hood etc. of course, and soft vignette removed in post)

Pancolart, quite a few of these old russians were either made for MF initially, or cover more territory than they should (must be a russian thing...)
In the case of the Jupiter-8, I actually confirmed the data several times since I found it hard to believe as well. But though 62 mm image diameter is larger than FF, it will not cover MF - even 645 is 7o mm in diameter, 6x6 is 8o.[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathala wrote:
Pancolart, quite a few of these old russians were either made for MF initially, or cover more territory than they should (must be a russian thing...)
In the case of the Jupiter-8, I actually confirmed the data several times since I found it hard to believe as well. But though 62 mm image diameter is larger than FF, it will not cover MF - even 645 is 7o mm in diameter, 6x6 is 8o.

Thank you for clarification. 127 film camera would be perfect for Jupiter but film is too hard to obtain. Still 6x4.5 is tempting to try.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also tried a 135mm MF lens with Lens Turbo II on Sony FF. Hm, there is a clear limitation coming from the lens booster which has a square back lens shape. The older version with round and larger shape or some other makers may give much better results, as kathala shows.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
I also tried a 135mm MF lens with Lens Turbo II on Sony FF. Hm, there is a clear limitation coming from the lens booster which has a square back lens shape. The older version with round and larger shape or some other makers may give much better results, as kathala shows.

ah, true, I had seen something like that documented once. I may have been mistaken and actually own version 1 (?).
Then again, at ~1o € a piece, one might just buy another one, or try and remove that rear baffle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 euros a piece for a speedbooster? I'll buy...

Well - I thought the Lens Turbo II had a rectangular rear element- no, it really is a baffle:

https://4.img-dpreview.com/files/p/E~forums/56587016/0f3b091769204dd398531144be9f080a

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

That’s pretty awful.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
10 euros a piece for a speedbooster? I'll buy...

Well - I thought the Lens Turbo II had a rectangular rear element- no, it really is a baffle:

https://4.img-dpreview.com/files/p/E~forums/56587016/0f3b091769204dd398531144be9f080a

I paid 7 € for my LT (which, as it turns out, is Mk 1; FD-FE) in ~2o2o
I've never seen rectangular rear elements except in the Zeiss R-Biotars, and certainly not in any cheap piece of gear. Sadly, one does not need a rectangular rear element for mechanical vignetting to occur.