Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens tubes operation and effect
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Lens tubes operation and effect Reply with quote

These questions are really about offsetting the lens from the camera body but much in the way a lens tube does it. I've never tried tubes myself even though I got some M42 ones but I'm still waiting on a M42->EOS adapter I have ordered.

To my understanding tubes are used to basically turn an ordinary lens into a semi macro lens.

My logic tells me that you would also loose infinity focus at the same time but by how much? Is it possible to tell how far a lens will focus depending on the tube used?

Also, are there any other effects that will emerge when offsetting the lens from the camera body?

It's only fair that I tell you the real reason for this question.
I'm thinking on using old (read cheap) Canon FD-mount lenses with a
no glass FD to EF adapter for some close focus or "macro" work.

What do you think? Bad idea?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a recent thread on using M42 lenses on a Nikon in which Rick gives the formula for calculating maximun focus when lenses are mounted beyond the normal register difference.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Richard!

Also, I found this a table related to EF lenses:

http://bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/closeup.htm

While the macro work would be fine I had hoped for a better focus distance.