Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens Tripod Collars. ( non standard )
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Lens Tripod Collars. ( non standard ) Reply with quote

I like a big heavy lens to have a tripod collar, especially on a light camera such as my Sony A6000. I have fitted a Fotodiox Tough E Mount to the camera and that is a vast improvement, but a big heavy lens still feels unbalanced. I'm also a user of tripods and monopods and rarely take my camera anywhere without one or the other.
Over the last few years I have found a few tripod mounts at the local camera fair for next to nothing, I pay a few pounds for them and buy them even if I don't know what they fit, or likely to fit. I've even bought junk lenses just to remove the tripod mount.

I make them fit with sticky back foam that I buy in sheets from the a craft store, I use 2mm and 6mm, sometimes both sizes on one mount just to get the right size. On one mount I have used 2mm polythene that I cut from a oil container, which turned out to be the perfect solution for the Pentacon 200 which is tapered from 62mm to 60mm where I wanted the tripod mount to fit. The Poly' seems to grip the taper perfectly and I use this lens a lot without it ever coming loose. The tripod mount is salvaged from a dead Soligor zoom lens.

The Pentacon also takes the excellent Tamron mount, which will fit a variety of lenses, such as the Vivitar 200.

The Rokkor QF 200 3.5 is a heavy old thing, but this unbranded mount works just fine once it's padded out with foam.

Chinon 200 3.5 with some unknown mount, it's a polycarbonate one and very light, but seems strong enough.

This is an odd lens, it's a Dollonds 200 3.5 ( Tokina ) The problem with this lens is it has a very narrow section where the mount fits, but this unbranded mount is fine, it grips tightly enough and again has never come loose

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Lloydy. Here's a link to my piece on Pentax Forums re modding those chinese tripod mount rings.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/238879-modding-chinese-other-tripod-mounts-fit-eg-adaptall-lenses-2.html#post3801613