Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens to photograph vegetation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Lens to photograph vegetation Reply with quote

With regards to my work, I am often asked what it the best lens to use to photograph vegetation.
As you know, vegetation is amongst the most difficult things to photograph, because the 2D medium can really make it look flat and undistinguishable from the background, especially if the background is other vegetation.
So far, I did not find a lens that really helped me to obtain that clear separation of the plant I want to photograph from the background. Often, you just can not use tele lenses, because there is not enough room, especially if the plant is big. Most of the time you need to use a wideangle, but as we know, it is difficult to obtain good space separation with a wideangle, because more often than not it keep everything in focus.

Well I have finally found a lens that works really well for vegetation. It's the 1.4/35 Distagon. Sure it's not cheap - if we compare to the prices of the used lenses. But it's damn cheap when compared to the price lists of contemporary lenses. Today, with 300-400 Euros, you can only buy the low-end lenses in the catalogs of the makers. But you can buy this used Distagon which works as a wonder.
Look here at these Black Locusts (Robinia presudoacacia):

Direct link:
http://www.imageshock.eu/img/1435-robinia.jpg

The space separation is so pleasing. Doesn't it look like a short tele lens photograph? Like it could be a 90mm for instance. No it's a 35mm lens, and I am quite close to the subject.
I am so happy with this lens. Some of the best money that I ever spent on photographic stuff. ALthough I will probably have to sell some stuff now.
I will add more samples later.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another example, this time wide open. Actually if I gave more care I could have stopped down enough to keep all of the plant in focus and still have blur in the background:

Direct link:
http://www.imageshock.eu/img/1435-campo.jpg

You get the DOF of a tele lens but you are still able to stay close to the subject. I wish I had this lens in the last years, when I shoot a lot of this type of images.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Orio, you're right!
If you shoot with a short focal length, you, of course, need a very fast lens to separate object from bg.

Another lens that can do this (to a certain extent) is the Porst 1.8/35 (Porst WW 1.8/35 MC Auto H).
I mean, of course, it is not as sharp as the Distagon, (it is not a "sharp" lens at all) and the contrast is lower, but it's good enough to be used and to achieve this aim.
And you can get it for rather low money.

This is the lens:

But I will have to find a picture to show that it can separate object from bg.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, if this is the average output of this lens it's a gem. Shooting trees with my old wide angle pokes me often back into reality. I rarely get sharp results like yours. Like katastrofos cat pictures with the Jupiter 37 - these are very three dimensional.
But I'm not allowed to think about such a lens after the last thing I bought. Very Happy

By the way: *panic* Who's that on the avater image? I fear I will have bad dreams tonight... Shocked

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.8 is a remarkable speed for a 35mm.
Looking forward to your samples!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio have you tried a 50mm, I think it should be also suitable for the job.

I'm testing the meyer ostregon and discovered that she focusses as close as 33 cm.

Guido

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
Orio, if this is the average output of this lens it's a gem. Shooting trees with my old wide angle pokes me often back into reality. I rarely get sharp results like yours. Like katastrofos cat pictures with the Jupiter 37 - these are very three dimensional.
But I'm not allowed to think about such a lens after the last thing I bought. Very Happy

Yeah, I know. It was a bit of a craziness, but just like yours, it was such a good occasion.
I too will have to sell something. I just don't know what however. But a few lenses will be in the number. I don't want to be a lens collector, really. I will take samples from all my lenses, and then, I will sell those that I don't use. It's easier to say than to do it, however. But I want ultimately to end up with only the lenses that I really use, maybe two or three of them for each model if I want to have a backup (as these lenses will not be made anymore)- but not like, 5-6 lenses of the same lenght that I do not use. I have made experiences, I have decided that what I really want to use are the Russian and German lenses. Not for any technical reason, they just suit me best. So i will sell most of my japanese lenses, I will only keep a few special ones, like the Takumar 50mm or the oldest Nikkor teles.

By the way: *panic* Who's that on the avater image? I fear I will have bad dreams tonight... Shocked
Michael [/quote]

It's ME! AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil

Wink

I switched back to a more normal face -always ugly, but less schizoid Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jigt wrote:
Orio have you tried a 50mm, I think it should be also suitable for the job.
I'm testing the meyer ostregon and discovered that she focusses as close as 33 cm.
Guido

Yes Guido, I use the 50mm. often with the plants, especially for bark and leaf details i use the Volna 50mm macro. For BG separation a normal 50mm with 1.4 aperture is perfect. But the problem with 50mm is not the focusing distance, but the fact that with big plants, sometimes you can not fit them inside a 50mm, and especially in woods, or in botanical gardens, where the trees are really tight, you don't have much room to get more distant.
This is even more true with a crop camera.

In fact, this 35mm 1.4 becomes a 56mm 1.4 on a crop camera.
Another thing that makes it very useful.