Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens group separation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Lens group separation Reply with quote

Just got a Rodenstock Rodagon 210mm F/5.6 lens.

Sellers description:
Quote:
Cosmetically, there are clear signs that it has been used, but only in the paintwork, there are noo dinks or dents andit is mechanically as tight and precise as the day I bought it. Optically, it is in truly excellent condition.

I am a realist and did not really expect it to be in truly excellent condition, but was a little shocked by this

and as view through from lens rear

The photos are taken at with just the right angle of light to highlight the problem, viewed normally the effect is not quite so obvious.

I suspect this is caused by partial separation/cement failure between the two elements in the lens group at front of lens.

How do you think this will impact on results from the lens 1. as an enlarging lens 2. as a DSLR camera lens?

PS Taken on 40D with Tamron SP 90mm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Pancolart on Sun May 06, 2012 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ask us how well the lens will perform for you, ask the lens.

FWIW, I have a 58/5.6 Grandagon with rings of fire in front and rear cells. I've shot it on my 2x3 Graphics, found it usable. There's a hint.

Rodenstock and Voigtlaender both used the wrong cement for a number of years. Lenses from both houses made in the late '60s are often badly separated.