Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens fungus removal (and greetings)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Lens fungus removal (and greetings) Reply with quote

Greetings MFlenses!

If this question is answered somewhere else on your forum, I hope you will not be too angry.

Nevertheless. I am a very amateur photographer (and, I must confess, a child of the digital age). My Dad gave me his old manual SLR a few years ago (A Vivitar XV-2) along with 3 Miranda lenses (a 50mm 2.0, a a 75-200mm 4.5-5.3 and a 28mm 2.8, for those who are interested).

I have only used the Vivitar a few times; after it piqued my interest I bought a second hand Canon 300d. Though have recently picked it back up, to see what I have learned with the Canon.

Anyway - my problem is this:

The 200mm lens has some fungus growing inside the lens - not a large amount, but enough to be troublesome (I apologise wholly for the finger smudge on the lens - it's usually clean.)

[edit] seems hotlinking from my site might not work - the URL for this image is:

www.andrew-savage.co.uk/CRW_4710.jpg

[/edit]

How easy is it to remove this fungus? I have been interested in the internals of lenses for some time, and am prepared that if I do disassemble this lens I may never get it back together. I am hoping that it isn't too difficult to get to this part of the lens. If it helps - the lens mounting screws look like:

[edit]The URL for this image is:

www.andrew-savage.co.uk/CRW_4711.jpg

[/edit]

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it's a flat out "it's impossible".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't got a valuable lens then the first thing is to try it on a camera, if you like the results don't worry about a bit of fungus...if you keep the lens in a dry place, with movement of air (even opening a cupboard door moves air) it wont get worse.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the fungus is on the front element it should be easier, compared to something in the movable elements in the middle. I would try some 90+% alcohol (known here as Sterilizing Alcohol) with a cotton swab and see if can remove. Some here have used Zippo lighter fluid as well with some success. If you find that the fungus is inside the front element, then you need some proper tools to remove and clean the front elements. If the fungus has been there a while, it has probably etched itself into the coating, which means you have to live with it unless you want to polish off the coating.

Here are some links for your reference.

http://forum.mflenses.com/take-care-when-cleaning-lens-from-fungus-t6442.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/fungus-not-a-problem-t24224.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/cleaning-glass-t25427,highlight,fungus.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lens fungus removal (and greetings) Reply with quote

savagandrew wrote:
Greetings MFlenses!

[edit] seems hotlinking from my site might not work - the URL for this image is:
www.andrew-savage.co.uk/CRW_4710.jpg[/edit]

[edit]The URL for this image is:
www.andrew-savage.co.uk/CRW_4711.jpg[/edit]

Welcome to the forums! Cool

Your images didn't post because of an anti-spam feature... I found that out as well on my first post here. Wink You can send a PM to Attila, and he can lift the restriction for you.

In the mean time, here are your photos:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Scheimpflug Smile

And thanks to everyone else, as well. The fungus is visible on photos (none scanned in, but I took some test shots at the end of my film).

For now I will leave it well alone - the lenses aren't stored in a humid environment, and I only use the camera once every couple of months. If I find myself yearning for the long lens I might look into lens maintenance places - or just crack it open to have a look inside.

Thanks again Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep this lens away from the others or the fungus may spread.

From the photo, it looks to be on the surface of the front element or the rear.

If surface of front, then you have probably cleaned it off and what remains is the scar caused by long term fungal infection i.e. hydrofluoric acid from the fungus etching away the coating. Nothing you can do.

If its rear of front element, pry off the name ring and you should see the entire front element group. With a spanner wrench on the two notches, remove the entire group.

After this you have to go with experience ... but it could be screwing off the retaining ring so the front element can come out and you can clear the rear of the element. Be very methodical in your cleaning or you will leave an annoying smudge.

I've seen other formulas, but I think the best is a 50:50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and alcohol. .. but even regular lens cleaning fluid probably works ok.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to remove fungus in my experience is saliva for small spots (suck on a q-tip, apply, repeat, etc.), Ponds cream (or any local substitute) for large stubborn spots. Ponds cream dissolves the fungus almost instantly, and it's easy to clean afterwards with lighter fuel, and pure acetone for the final touch.

Ammonia+hydrogen peroxide is a very dangerous and toxic mixture, and personally I'd avoid it if possible, especially since the harmless Ponds cream works great.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Take a look here: the tutorial shows how to clean a Biometar 80 from fungus, but the general concepts may apply to your lens, too ...

Hope this helps

Cheers