Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

lens error restart camera on a brand new G9.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: lens error restart camera on a brand new G9. Reply with quote

I got my G9. I opened the box. I put the battery in it. I was standing next to the counter. I turned it on. The lens extended way faster than I expected and touched the counter.

Now I get a "lens error restart camera" message. I've turned it on and off several times and briefly removed the battery. Same message.

I never took a single picture with it.

At least I have my new 40D !

Is there any way to reset the camera or reset the lens to make it work ?

Last edited by miyuan on Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you google lens error restart camera canon G9 you will see that you are not alone, but you'll need to return the camera to warranty service. There are plenty of Google hits describing the problem, which seems to be a stuck optical assembly requiring Canon service.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I visited a Canon service center this morning. They want $157.94 to fix it. Says it needs a new optical lens design and assembly too, due to an impact. User error.

I am going to fix it myself. I'll post the process in another thread.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never understand people raving about the fact that G-series cameras fit in the pocket as I never remove Lensmate from my G2. And on the end there is either a UV or a polarizing filter to stop anything getting into the lens. I would not take it anywhere without Lowepro Nova 3 and it is probably the same size as Olympus E410. If I want a P&S I would not go for g-series but pick up A570IS or something like that which is about a 1/4 of a prize, has good IQ and manual controls. I've bought one for a friend and she is very happy with it even though she only ever uses AUTO mode.