Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens coatings question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Lens coatings question Reply with quote

Hello!

Does the West German QBT Planar made by Rollei (that is not marked with HFT) have the same coatings as the Singapore HFT marked version and the QBT Voigt Color-Ultron? Or is it just single coated?

As long as I know the QBT Voigt Color-Ultron uses the same coatings as the HFT Rollei Planar, am I right?

As a side clarification - do the HFT, T* and the CZJ MC from the same time use the same coating technologies in general?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Lens coatings question Reply with quote

Dusty-Lens wrote:
Hello!

Does the West German QBT Planar made by Rollei (that is not marked with HFT) have the same coatings as the Singapore HFT marked version and the QBT Voigt Color-Ultron? Or is it just single coated?

As long as I know the QBT Voigt Color-Ultron uses the same coatings as the HFT Rollei Planar, am I right?

As a side clarification - do the HFT, T* and the CZJ MC from the same time use the same coating technologies in general?

Thanks in advance!

As far as I know, they are the same technology - same coatings

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lens coatings question Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Dusty-Lens wrote:
Hello!

Thanks in advance!

As far as I know, they are the same technology - same coatings

Thanks, I was guessing so but it is nice to get a more informed confirmation!

Do you know if the West German QBT Planar made by Rollei (that is not marked with HFT) has the same good multi coatings as the HFT marked version and the QBT Voigt Color-Ultron? Or is it just single coated? I am asking as I was told by one ebay seller that it is not the same level and is perhaps single coated while another one states it is the same multi coating just not marked on the lens.

Last edited by Dusty-Lens on Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Lens coatings question Reply with quote

Dusty-Lens wrote:
Hello!

Thanks in advance!

as far as i could know, the czj mc is NOT the same as t* because t* was developped after ww2 and czj could use only pre-ww2 patents (the t coating was developped before ww2 )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Lens coatings question Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
Dusty-Lens wrote:
Hello!

Thanks in advance!

as far as i could know, the czj mc is NOT the same as t* because t* was developped after ww2 and czj could use only pre-ww2 patents (the t coating was developped before ww2 )

Yes, you are right I meant T not T*. I am aware that the “transparency optics” or T by ZEISS were already used several years before WWII. The T coatings were invented by Alexander Smakula (1900-1983), who was born and raised in the USSR. In the 1930s, Smakula was head of the Optical Surface Laboratory II of the R&D department at ZEISS in Jena, and he developed, with suggestions from A. König and H. Bauer, a process for the application of abrasion-resistant, durable coatings on lenses to reduce reflections. ZEISS was the first company to produce such coatings and place them on the market. After the patent issuance to Smakula on November 1st of 1935. Here is a good source by Zeiss with more details: https://pixinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/en_About-the-reduction-of-reflections-of-camera-lenses.pdf

So, is it correct to say that the Zeiss lenses had more contemporary coatings than their DDR CZJ alternatives from the same post WWII years?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lens coatings question Reply with quote

Dusty-Lens wrote:
So, is it correct to say that the Zeiss lenses had more contemporary coatings than their DDR CZJ alternatives from the same post WWII years?

The T* is know to be a top quality coating, nobody knows what is the actual quality of the czj coating ? True Mc (>=7 layers) ? Basic Mc (2/3 layers) ? or top mc (as t* or fuji ebc...) ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Lens coatings question Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
Dusty-Lens wrote:

The T* is know to be a top quality coating, nobody knows what is the actual quality of the czj coating ? True Mc (>=7 layers) ? Basic Mc (2/3 layers) ? or top mc (as t* or fuji ebc...) ?

The CZJ MC seems good from my experience but I didn't have the chance to compare it to T and T* head to head. By the way, do you know if the West German QBT Planar made by Rollei (that is not marked with HFT) has the same good multi coatings used on the HFT marked version and the QBT Voigt Color-Ultron?