Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens cleaning ROR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Lens cleaning ROR Reply with quote

Any experience ?

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought three bottles of this solution from a retiring camera store owner. It works as advertised, which is to say - very well. It's a purified 1% ammonia solution, so it's pretty conservative and safe on glass and coated plastic surfaces (depending, of course, on the cloth/tissue used).

BTW, I bought several hundred (!) optical tissues from the same retiring owner. These usually sell for $5 in optical stores; I got them for about 50 cents each. They work quite well on lenses; my wife uses them and ROR on her eyeglasses made of coated optical plastic, with good results and no damage so far after a year of everyday use. If you need a few of those, I can mail a couple for the price of shipping (PM if interested).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered some here in the US for a fraction of the UK cost - $4.99 for two bottles. Will report on results

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kodak Lens Cleaner contains ammonium carbonate. More or less the same with the ROR.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get it cheaper than that on ebay, but stick with the dropper bottles as the spray bottles are impractical imo.`

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The Kodak Lens Cleaner contains ammonium carbonate. More or less the same with the ROR.

Pretty much. About any ammonia solution that is pure enough and contains less than 1% of ammonia are good (and safe) for cleaning lenses. I think you can buy generic one in most pharmacies (they usually have 0.5% ammonia and distilled water) for less than camera stores sell it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been using ROR for several years. It was recommended by one of the Hasselblad engineers who would come to Ireland to demo new kit for us - a good enough reference for me.