Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens cabinet
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Lens cabinet Reply with quote

I just picked this up from a computer store that was closing down.It's not airtight, but has the potential to be all that I want in a lens cabinet Very Happy The lights don't work as yet, not sure why but its something I will work on getting fixed, as well as making it as airtight as possible.
The glass is industrial strength so hopefully will be strong enough to do what I need it to do. No,that is not the only lens I own,its testing the glass strength...lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really nice, looks usable too

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool Shocked
I think it's big enough for the most used lenses...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The measurements are ....
Height 142cm
Width 91.5cm
Depth 43cm
I hope to fit most of my treasured lenses in it,which in reality should be all of them.But I don't want to overload the shelving ,I saw Michael's disaster and don't want to repeat it. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Smile Looks like it will fit a lot of stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be due for an update. come one how many in there now? Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good to me and sturdy. I had an accident a while ago where several
boards in a cupboard where I keep some of my lenses broke and went south (grin).
Looks like you'll be safe from that. PressThumbs!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very nice, Moira -- has an almost industrial or doctor's autoclave look about it. Just don't do like I did with my glass-shelved cabinet and stack too many pieces on your shelves. You definitely don't want to face it one day with all your gear dumped on the floor, amid shards of shattered glass.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I don't want to overload the shelving ,I saw Michael's disaster and don't want to repeat it. Smile

Great find! A really nice looking cabinet.
As a safety measure, I would place two parallel 1x1cm steel rods running right to left under the glass pane (it looks like the supports are no more than 70cm apart, so 1x1cm would be rigid enough I think). The rods won't take much space, they will be practically invisible once a sea of lenses covers the glass, but it will ensure your glass doesn't break under the weight of the lenses. You can cover the top of the rod with a strip of red felt for a more snazzy look... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*LIKE* Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked a dream storage !!! congrats!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very usefull indeed Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, It has taken me a long time to find something suitable to display and keep safe my lenses, and I can say it was worth waiting for. I could have bought a floor to ceiling cabinet, but thought that's just too big! Apparently it used too display computer games/playstations etc It was also a reasonable price being second hand in a shop that was closing and selling off stock.

I am not in a rush to load it with lenses until I have tested the non slip mats I am thinking of using....making sure it does not stick to the glass or lenses. I also have to get the back sealed properly and the internal lights working. I bought two new fluro tubes plugged them in but nothing happened,I am thinking the cord/cables may have to be replaced/rewired. Anyway I now have a solid cabinet to work with its just a matter of fine tuning it into the perfect dehumidfying cabinet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your fluoro tubes aren't working and the wiring looks to be in good repair, it's probably the ballasts that those lights need. Sort of a largish rectangular block the wires will be leading to and running out of. They do wear out after a while, but can't always be replaced. If I want to keep fluoro tubes, I'll usually just buy the self-contained lights you can buy for cheap for about $10 at the big box stores. Often these kits are cheaper than ballasts, when I can find them, that is.

I've got some non-slip matting that comes in rolls. Sort of perforated rubber-feeling stuff. I cut it to fit what I need. It keeps to itself pretty well, meaning it doesn't leave marks on most things I've left it in contact with.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,there is something like a long rectangular box all the wiring is attached to,it looked to be in good order. Thanks for the heads up I'll look into it a little more, as I have not decided what lights I want in there,I am open to options. Smile

The rubber matting I hope to use