Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens Butchery!! Yashica Electro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Lens Butchery!! Yashica Electro Reply with quote

Very Happy My favorite lens that I have converted, the lovely Yashica Electro Yashinon DX

Used a body cap as the base, this is a relatively easy conversion to do as there are no protruding bits on the lens and it basically bolts onto the lens cap with minimal removal of excess surface areas to achieve infinity focus.

The photos from this lens are brilliant, razor sharp and very good colouring rendering in my opinion.

Want to in future do another conversion of one of these and either change the Helicoid or refit the lenses into another body so that it can manage to get a closer focusing distance.

I used the rings from a Aires 35III lens to cover up the the body cap, looks pretty clean for a conversion.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: I appear to have hi-jacked your thread. Sorry.

Here is mine, not had a proper go yet. There were some flare issues but that was the edges of the shutter. I went in and painted them matt black - now no problem. I stuck a lens shade on it with electricians tape because the sun was low in the sky.

I glued the shutter closed but it opened slightly now the aperture is like this. I've probably lost half a stop but I can live with it. The bokeh should be great! I'll do some shots when I have time.

A quick shot, full size - click on it - of my favourite lens test building. Straight out of the camera. A fair old bit of fall-off at the edges at full aperture.

I used a zebra ring from an old Meritar, glued to a reverse adapter. A little shimming got the lens to infinity.

I had a problem with the focus, the lens would just unscrew - great for macros until it fell out of the mount. I fixed it - how does yours focus?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hijack away Phil!!Very Happy the more interest in this lens the better considering the amount of electros out there with dead electronics.

I see what you meant by the shutters protruding a bit, they really are easy to remove though. I normally just jam the shutter open for conversions but I couldn't get mine to move so I had to open the lens up to get them out.

If your interested there should be 3 or 4 long screws at the back and when removed the lens splits in half and the shutter will come free.

Had a bit of a rough time getting the lens to stay on the helicoid cause there is so little travel but with enough trial and error I managed to get the focusing mechanism to work like it did while on the camera body.

Really want to see how it performs on macro but the closest I can achieve is about 3 feet without the use of bellows. The one thing that really stands out for me is how this lens makes images pop. It layers images really well even at the far distance you took the pic of the building the Audi really stands out for me:D

It's really sharp but very pleasant, definately my favorite lens I have converted so far.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I have delved too deep into lenses in the past and buggered them up. This one is special so went for the easy option. I had problems with the lens unscrewing then I remembered the little brackets. I had thrown them out, so I used a couple of 1cm lengths of cocktail stick to stop the lens rotating.

I too have a fixed focus distance but that's the same of almost every RF lens. No prob to me!

I have taken more photos since but I can never get the focus just right so yer not seein' 'em til I've better ones!!