Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz Wetzlar Elmarit 90mm/F2.8 (M bayonet)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more examples from my today's dog walk all shot with the lens head attached to the macro focusing adapter on the Ricoh GXR-M and all at apertures from F5.6 to F11 (macros with F11) and also one infinity shot with the same outfit. Just resized as usual. All taken free hand without flash, but mainly under direct sunlight at noon time. I am unable to dedect any real visible weaknesses of the lens although I've tried hard to expose it to critical light situations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look nice and sharp. I'd try using -0.5 exposure compensation as they look a little overexposed. I find I have to use -0.5 with most of my digicams as they seem to favour the shadows in their metering, even my a850 benefits from -0.5 compensation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Those look nice and sharp. I'd try using -0.5 exposure compensation as they look a little overexposed. I find I have to use -0.5 with most of my digicams as they seem to favour the shadows in their metering, even my a850 benefits from -0.5 compensation.

Well, as I am used to spot metering to keep the full control as used from the old analog times and shooting RAW, still the pictures could be easily exposure corrected afterwards.
However, I'll try your advice and see if that's better right from the beginning.
If I find my old grey card (still searching) I could easy adjust the metering to the optimum. I've done that in the film times to optimize the whole process including developing up to the final picture also with the light meter for the enlarging process.
Digital is still somehow different.
However, I think you can now agree that if stopped down a little bit this lens is more than just O.K. after more than 40 years of usage. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more examples from today. It was a little bit foggy. Typical autumn mood:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is winter test silver elmarit 90/2.8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small

What camera did you use?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friends

sony a7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmarit lens head on Visoflex close focus helicoid:

#3 slightly cropped

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Excellent Thomas...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very nice indeed!
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Sirs!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 wonderful spring flower shots!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those latest shots are very nice, Thomas. Can you remember what aperture/s you were using? Maybe it's time I got round to getting an 'old' Elmarit after putting it off since the late 1960s !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
wonderful spring flower shots!

Thank you, Klaus!

scsambrook wrote:
Those latest shots are very nice, Thomas. Can you remember what aperture/s you were using? Maybe it's time I got round to getting an 'old' Elmarit after putting it off since the late 1960s !

Hi Stephen, thanks for the compliment. If my memory serves me right the cherry blooms have been shot at F4 and the bee at F8.
The combination of the Visoflex adapter and the lens head gives you a very versatile (almost macro-) lens from close focus (as shown here) up to infinity. Very recommendable. The normal focus helicoid stays therefore always at home. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Thomas. I wonder if the 'old' Elmarit really blossoms when used on an extension bellows (or tubes). My 1953 135 Hektor certainly performs very well that way on a mirrorless body. Time to begin looking for an affordable Elmarit Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Thanks for the info Thomas. I wonder if the 'old' Elmarit really blossoms when used on an extension bellows (or tubes). My 1953 135 Hektor certainly performs very well that way on a mirrorless body. Time to begin looking for an affordable Elmarit Smile

Stephen, my first version Elmarit (produced from 1959 to 1974) is from 1972 and proves that it performs very well on extensions. Same is true for my Elmar 135 from 1961.
With a little bit of luck you should be able to find an old Elmarit 90 starting from about 200 Euro. Good luck!

Here's an (quick and dirty) example picture with the Elmarit head on Bellows at F11. Distance from lens to object was apprx. 5 inches.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In memory of my beloved dog "Stella" who unexpectedly left us recently. She died of bone cancer shortly before her 6th birthday.

One of the last photos of her, taken with Sony A7RII and Leitz Elmarit 90mm / F2.8 .....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First blooming this year: Forsythia

Shot with A7R II on Visoflex macro focusing helicoid and Techart PRO. Converted and downsized in LR6.
Original diameter of blooms apprx. 35 mm.

Clickable for best quality viewing:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same setup as before: