Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz 75mm F/1.4 Summilux
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Tedat wrote:
Pontus wrote:
Maybe not as clear but not entirely dull either. But I agree the images from the M9 are crisper.

one single click in pp and the A7 photos will be crisp enough

That's not the point Smile
As I have used A7r more than a year, and spent endless hours to tweak the outcome, raw files from sony are different when dynamic range had been adjusted, and they follow different PP. It is hard to find a process that sony also produces the same look as leica. It is perhaps good that sony offers dynamic range adjustment, but that too results none optimal images...

Please, how do you adjust the dynamic range of your A7r raws ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:

Thank you, I really appreciate your offer, but all my writing was spent in italian forums posts, so really hard to recover. BTW no much more to add to this Steve Huff article: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/03/17/leica-focus-issues-lens-or-body/

I only would add that in some cases several trips to Solms were not enough to make a lens work properly, but only "within our -their, of course- standards"

The rangefinder focusing system was invented at a time when a F3.5 lens was considered "fast". With lenses faster than F2, the required mechanical precision exceeds what can be achieved in mass production. Leica engineers discovered it soon, but the fanboys who spend $10,000 on a lens take a little longer (1000 years?) to realize that.

Not true. The two Contaxes and half a dozen Kievs I own ALL focus accurately with both my pre-war Sonnar 1.5/50, post-war Sonnar 1.5/50 and 1960s Jupiter-3 1.5/50. Then again, the Contax has a longer rf base than any Leica and works a bit differently.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I'm confused, something is notright.

Gerard shows this 100% crop:

uhoh7 shows this 100% crop:

The first is blurred, the second is in focus, so what is going on? Are they from two separate images or has some blurring been applied to one?

I understand now why you are confused. I decided to investigate the case further, but what I found is very disturbing!

To be direct and objective: the author modified the original photo of the shop shown on page 7 of this thread AFTER I posted my comment about it!

The proof is in the EXIF data:

Note that the photo was taken on Jan 13 but modified on Jan 14 at 23:32:01 (almost on Jan 15). I posted the 100% crop on Jan 14 at 1:04pm, that is, long before the author modified his photo. This is suspicious? No question about it!

Another strange fact: the author did not change the other two photos of his post of page 7, at least until this moment. Maybe because I did not say anything about those photos?

PS: You can also view the EXIF data in the flickr page, but hurry before the author modifies the pictures! That guy is not serious!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Gerald wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:

Thank you, I really appreciate your offer, but all my writing was spent in italian forums posts, so really hard to recover. BTW no much more to add to this Steve Huff article: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/03/17/leica-focus-issues-lens-or-body/

I only would add that in some cases several trips to Solms were not enough to make a lens work properly, but only "within our -their, of course- standards"

The rangefinder focusing system was invented at a time when a F3.5 lens was considered "fast". With lenses faster than F2, the required mechanical precision exceeds what can be achieved in mass production. Leica engineers discovered it soon, but the fanboys who spend $10,000 on a lens take a little longer (1000 years?) to realize that.

Not true. The two Contaxes and half a dozen Kievs I own ALL focus accurately with both my pre-war Sonnar 1.5/50, post-war Sonnar 1.5/50 and 1960s Jupiter-3 1.5/50. Then again, the Contax has a longer rf base than any Leica and works a bit differently.

Did you not read Ultrapix's post or Steve Huff's article? The lack of necessary precision of Leica rangefinders is a fact, not my opinion. Besides, you are thinking only in terms of your 50mm lenses, but forget that the problem is particularly serious for fast 90mm lenses, and especially for the 135mm. I agree that the Contax rangefinder was way better than the Leica. That was the reason for Nikon has copied Contax camera, except for the shutter, which was based on Leica design.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:

The crop I presented before was 100%. The crop you show above is 50%. You're a smart guy and noticed that a lower magnification is a good way to hide the shortcomings of your lens. But I think you will have to reduce the magnification to 12.5% for the captured image with your Summilux 75mm F1.4 seems reasonably sharp.

Looks like you could not tell the difference, Gerald. Smile

I love your double standard. It's perfectly OK for you to download and modify my images, without a PM, as you did earlier in this thread with my landscape, or to crop my images for use in insulting me.

But if I update my own images "it's very disturbing".

Any member here with reasonable manners is free to download my samples, examine, and post crops. But, Gerald, if you can't be civil about it, I don't want you posting my shots, period. For any reason, please.

If fact my first upload was a mix-up of several images. I uploaded the wrong shot, "troll-bait" you could not resist trying use to tell me about my bad technique and poor eyesight, when a simple "hey, I think you missed a bit on this one, LOL" would have done just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but..........

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Tedat wrote:
Pontus wrote:
Maybe not as clear but not entirely dull either. But I agree the images from the M9 are crisper.

one single click in pp and the A7 photos will be crisp enough

That's not the point Smile
As I have used A7r more than a year, and spent endless hours to tweak the outcome, raw files from sony are different when dynamic range had been adjusted, and they follow different PP. It is hard to find a process that sony also produces the same look as leica. It is perhaps good that sony offers dynamic range adjustment, but that too results none optimal images...

yes it is... the crisp Leica photos aren't jpeg's out of the cam.. same as the A7 photos. It are RAW processed with Lightroom (at least thats how I understood). If I need a single click in Photoshop on those processed A7 pics to make them appear crisp like the Leica photos.. why not doing the same thing in Lightroom?

(I hope Uhoh doesn't mind.. if it's a problem I will delete it)

Original by uhoh7

edited by me in PS

Sure.. it won't be the same look as leica.. but it's not dull anymore.

Last edited by Tedat on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
Gerald wrote:

The crop I presented before was 100%. The crop you show above is 50%. You're a smart guy and noticed that a lower magnification is a good way to hide the shortcomings of your lens. But I think you will have to reduce the magnification to 12.5% for the captured image with your Summilux 75mm F1.4 seems reasonably sharp.

Looks like you could not tell the difference, Gerald. Smile

I love your double standard. It's perfectly OK for you to download and modify my images, without a PM, as you did earlier in this thread with my landscape, or to crop my images for use in insulting me.

But if I update my own images "it's very disturbing".

Any member here with reasonable manners is free to download my samples, examine, and post crops. But, Gerald, if you can't be civil about it, I don't want you posting my shots, period. For any reason, please.

If fact my first upload was a mix-up of several images. I uploaded the wrong shot, "troll-bait" you could not resist trying use to tell me about my bad technique and poor eyesight, when a simple "hey, I think you missed a bit on this one, LOL" would have done just fine.

I did not modify your picture. You did. AFTER I showed it was out of focus. The proof is in my previous post. You're not serious.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, Jan. Smile

But please let us know how you adjusted the image. Smile

The Leica images don't need much post for my taste, and I left the sonys mostly alone, or with very simple changes, for comparison.

I resist adding a bunch of editing in a thread like this, because after a bit, you can't tell what the lens is doing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the above photo this did the trick:

http://www.athentech.com

but even without it's not too much work.. just set the whitepoint, apply auto levels and maybe enhance the contrast a bit will look nearly the same. Like this:

Original by uhoh7 (amazing photo btw.)

edited version by me (PS auto levels + auto color)

uhoh7 wrote:

The Leica images don't need much post for my taste

I can see this, it seems to be a great combination where not much pp is needed. Same happens to me with A7 and T* lenses, a good team in my eyes. Leica knows their lenses and Sony knows T* coating..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. your PP skill is really good, as we have seen earlier in another thread.

i checked with a friend using M240. it does not have option to adjust dynami range as sony.
i think leica has done a good work to tune the dng file. so less option can be better 😊

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
Sorry but..........

+10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
cyrano wrote:
Sorry but..........

+10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:

i checked with a friend using M240. it does not have option to adjust dynami range as sony.
i think leica has done a good work to tune the dng file. so less option can be better 😊

Hello,
I asked you already this question before. You wrote already that you can adjust the dynamic range shooting raw with an A7r.
How do you do this ?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
hoanpham wrote:

Hello,
I asked you already this question before. You wrote already that you can adjust the dynamic range shooting raw with an A7r.
How do you do this ?
Thanks

There is an option on A7r (and nex5n too) where you can select dynamic range, options:off, level1-level5. Level 3 is ok balanced, which covers highlights and dark areas as dark. Level5 is extreme and looks like HDR. D800 has the same option. Outcome from D800 and A7r looks same to me.
PP process follows different adjustment for each level of dynamic range. Level5: increase black level a lot, +exp to increase highlight, increase contrast. Level3: increase black level slightly, and so on.
I shot raw, manual settings mostly, and prefer DR level3.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:

thank you, but in this case I didn't do much.. the details was always there.. just a bit hidden. Like I said before it was just a single click when using the "Perfectly Clear Plug-in" which is avaible for Photoshop and Lightroom. It's a very powerful auto correction tool with single click and the possibility for fine tune. With 115 Euro each or 149 Euro for the bundle I think it's not too expensive for those results.

But even without this plugin (see the second edited photo) it wasn't much work.. inbuild auto levels + auto color most time will give you a similar result and are also very easy to use.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks hoanpham, I have always thought that those settings were for Jpeg .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shelley by unoh7, on Flickr
woof Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@f/2ish
L1027088 by unoh7, on Flickr
crop:

L1027088-2 by unoh7, on Flickr

f/2.8:

L1027087 by unoh7, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, you must be happy with your 75mm!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not an plastic fan either, but for the smooth and easy working autofocus mechanism, plastic is the best lightweight material to work with. And plastic is not all of the same materials! The little motor drives of modern AF lenses, would have an hard time to move the optical glass and mechanical parts permanently back and forth.

Of course, it could be done with all longlasting metal, but probably not for the costs, most people expects for their wallets.

The "red pencil" is always an very important part on the development of new lenses! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Great, you must be happy with your 75mm!

haha, in this case I paid a fortune and gained a fortune Smile

But what I have learned here is how lucky I've been in getting such a nice copy Smile

Bridge Strut by unoh7, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on A7.mod

DSC00860 by unoh7, on Flickr

DSC00823 by unoh7, on Flickr

DSC00821 by unoh7, on Flickr

DSC00646 by unoh7, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for keep posting images Uhoh.
This will help me to take a choice!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue and Silver by unoh7, on Flickr

Chevrolet by unoh7, on Flickr

Window by unoh7, on Flickr

L1027926 by unoh7, on Flickr

another on A7.mod:

Old Ford by unoh7, on Flickr