Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica's 90/2.8 and a 135/2.8 both in the R-mount!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Leica's 90/2.8 and a 135/2.8 both in the R-mount! Reply with quote

I wasn't really looking for these but fell into a deal for them anyway. I picked up a 90/2.8 and a 135/2.8 both in the R-mount. I curious to see how they fare against my Contax Zeiss 100/2.0 and 85/2.8 that I already love. I'm still waiting for the adapter to arrive but will post some comparision shots when I get the chance. I'll also throw the Pentax SMC 135/3.5 I just picked up into the mix also. I'll probably have to wait until spring to see which ones I like best for flower shots. Right now the Zeiss 85/2.8 is my favorite for that because of how it renders the flowers in the pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful picture!!!
(but I would reframe it somehow).

James, the lenses that you mention, are all champions. Making a ranking, is somehow useless, as I learned, because in the end of the day, you will not want to part from any of them. And besides, each have it's own characteristics. It's like choosing between a Ferrari and a Jaguar. They are both champions and they both are the strongest in their specific area.

But I am happy that you posted such beautiful image taken with the humblest of all these lenses, the Sonnar 2.8/85, because it shows that you don't have to spend a fortune to buy a Contax lens that works wonders. The Sonnar 2.8/85 is commonly found around 150 EU, and with some patience and luck it can also be picked for less. Yet, stopped down, it is as good as the more expensive versions, or the Leicas.

Another similar lens is the Sonnar 2.8/135, which for a similar price, gives a maybe even more astounding performance.

Which digital reflex are you mounting your lenses on?
You should list your basic equipment in the signature, or, place a link that points to your list.

-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James
Orio is our resident expert in this particular world of lenses, but I agree with him on the flowers. Very impressive clarity and nice colours

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colors of the flower shot are magical, like lighten by a big lightbox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, colors is the word that comes to my mind seeing your picture. Wonderful!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes great colours - bright but natural looking!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, I actually do crop the image in various ways when I print it. I have about 1/2 a dozen from this series I shot one day while waiting for my son to finish football practice. At the time I thought I was shooting at an old local church but then I found out it was now private property. Since I don't like to enter someone's property without permission I never got back to reshoot these with better compositions. But, I've since talked to the owner and have permission so next year I will spend some time doing some serious work of his beautiful flower beds. This shot was taken in the evening with the flowers in shade. I was very pleasantly surprised by the richness of colors I got in the shot. I used a Canon 5D to take this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, I am sure you will love the Leicas. I have never met anybody who was not thrilled by their performance. (Even Orio, who is a fan of the slightly warmer character of the Zeiss lenses, never leaves any doubt about the extraordinary quality of Leica lenses. His - well reflected and experienced - opinion distinguishes between the aim you have and which lens to use.)
I always said that I believed in the statements that Leicas are great, but to see that with your own eyes is simply overwhelming!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its better not to open thread with Leica in headings.... I am stopping myself for long... but in '08, I will get one surely... Very Happy

Beautiful results...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
its better not to open thread with Leica in headings.... I am stopping myself for long... but in '08, I will get one surely... Very Happy

Beautiful results...

Leica...Leica...Leica...Leica!

Can you see, Ballu, I want to make you dream about it tonight! Wink

Honestly, my first Leica lens really amazed me!

(If the tax refund will be as good as our tax counsellor told us... well, there might be another one coming up. Who knows? Wink)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

(If the tax refund will be as good as our tax counsellor told us... well, there might be another one coming up. Who knows? Wink)

Maybe you are quitting buying inexpensive lenses? When somebody tastes the good thing, it's not easy to leave without it. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanma wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Maybe you are quitting buying inexpensive lenses? When somebody tastes the good thing, it's not easy to leave without it. Cool

I don't know. Inexpensive does not automatically mean "not good"!
I like to slow down a little with buying lenses at all.
First need to sell some...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found yesterday that the adapter had actually arrived at my house the previous day. Unfortunately I had just returned from a morning of shooting when I found it and another snowstorm had moved in. So, intitial test shots are inconclusive. I usually shoot out my front door to test my landscapes lenses as it gives me a variety of objects at varying distances to judge. Shots of the Leica 135/2.8 against the Pentax SMC 135/3.5 were pretty much a dead heat at terms of sharpness.at f/8 and f/11. The Leica was a tad cooler in color although that was not the apparent with the dull scene I was shooting.

On the other hand, the 90/2.8 shots I took inside seem quite promising. The color is great and sharpeness outstanding. I also like what it's showing in terms of bokeh.

Anyway, I'll probably have to wait until Friday to give them a proper shakedown in landscape shooting but I will play with some portrait work with them throughout the week.