Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Summicron M 90 f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Leica Summicron M 90 f2 Reply with quote

all shot with M9 + Summicron M 90 f2 pre asph [pp on some images in Lr] ->










Last edited by Hari on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 to me Hari ! Stunning, thank you for sharing this un-common lens here.


PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!


PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones Hari! (do you live in Ladenburg? The shot on the river looks like the Neckar at Ladenburg)


PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

@Klaus - good guess! I live in HD though.

Always nice to go to Ladenburg/Rdesheim/Bingen etc. to witness the "Rhein in Flammen" and get a few nice shots

To non German speakers, "Rhein in Flammen" translated to "Rhine in Flames" and its during certain period of the sunset that the colors turn magical and the sky and river are in flames!

Will post some of the Rhine in Flames later today ... this spectacular event needs no postprocessing!


PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
#1 to me Hari ! Stunning, thank you for sharing this un-common lens here.


#1 also my favourite. Very nice.


PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

straight out of the camera



PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey hari

ive missed your posts, happy new year!

great great lens! 1 and two are fabulous in every aspect. how expensive is this lens?


PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
hey hari

ive missed your posts, happy new year!

great great lens! 1 and two are fabulous in every aspect. how expensive is this lens?


Hi Tony!

thank you and happy new year to you too!

this lens is the pre-asph version (3721xxx), is a little soft at f2 and doesn't usually stack up against the 90/2.8 elmarit but i still love the character of this lens and the bokeh is totally to my taste

sells for less than $1500 in very good condition with 6 bit coding if you intend to use it on a digital M body


PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, ive got a elmer-c 90/4 coming, so we'll see how i do with that, but i really love the look of these!


PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Hari. Thank you for sharing.


PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
well, ive got a elmer-c 90/4 coming, so we'll see how i do with that, but i really love the look of these!


the elmar 90 is a nice lens! if you're looking for something in the 75mm-90mm space i'd suggest the 73/1.9 hektor

not very easy to find and low contrast but it sure as hell delivers some awesome results if you're shooting people

of course, its a matter of taste but for my taste, i love them pics!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chachahavana/6238198705/in/set-72157627818576920/


PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah hari, i was thinking about that lens, but i already have the cv heliar 75/2.5 that i like a lot.


PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah! good chap. you would be the right guy to ask this -

did you also shoot with the heliar 75/1.9? the 75/2.5 seems stellar! but, im a speed junkie so the allure of widerererer open is tempting me to look at the 75/1.9

im annoyed because im still trying to find my fav multi purpose focal length - on a full frame camera

i loved 35mm for awhile

then i reverted to 50mm

then i found 90mm bliss

which became too tight after a short while

now im thinking a 75mm might just be the bridge i'm looking for

i tried a 40mm - didnt really like it

i tried a 60mm - didnt really like it

i tried a 85mm - didnt really like it

so im thinking of trying the 75/1.9 heliar ...


PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i'll tell ya' my friend, ive found my favorite, its 40mm. ive read that it fits the way the eye sees best, but regardless of the truth of that, it fits the way i shoot best. i shoot mostly street scenes and its great for that, not too wide but not too close. next i like landscapes, and its great for that. lastly i like indoor low light and i find it perfect for that as i use the summicron-c 40/2.

my next two favorites are 75-85 followed by 24mm. with those three i feel like ive got everything but wildlife covered. i really like the cv color heliar 75/2.5. yeah its slow, but i dont use it in low light, so it doesnt bother me so much. it has really great color and a zeiss-like 'pop'. it also has some smooth bokeh. i know the urge for a fast portrait, so i can definitely see the attractiveness of the 1.9, but truth is its less than 1 full stop difference, and i personally cant justify to myself the extra cost when i'm so happy with the 2.5. plus its SMALL, as are the summicron and my snapshot skopar 25/4. i can carry all 3, a film cam and my ep2 with same bulk as my old 5d and 1 extra lens! that cinches it for me!


PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari

Give the Summarit f2.5/75 a try. Only one half stop slower than the Summicron 75 and 1/3 the price.
I sold my copy but, will now be buying another.

I like 75mm. It is not too long for RF use if you have a Leica M or Zeiss ikon but, does not compress a portrait as 50mm and shorter will do.
IMO 90 becomes too long for RF use. The frame lines simply look tiny and loose the feel of the shot.
The Summarit is very sharp with smooth transition and fantastic oof rendering. I think the Summarit 75 may be one of Leicas best "modern" lenses overall.


PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy, thats a tough lens to find. aamof, i cant remember seeing any in a real long time. what do you think the IQ differences are between the summarit and the 2.5 heliar?


PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:


I like 75mm. It is not too long for RF use if you have a Leica M or Zeiss ikon but, does not compress a portrait as 50mm and shorter will do.
IMO 90 becomes too long for RF use. The frame lines simply look tiny and loose the feel of the shot.


bingo! this is exactly my problem

50mm is not close enough and 90mm is too tight for my taste

can i see some pix you took with the 75mm? i looked up some sites but as usual there's too much chatter and too few images to back the points of view.

there's some really nice samples on flickr but id love to see how you've used this focal length


PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 75/2.5 Heliar. It's very sharp and bright at f4, more so than my original 90/2.8 Tele Elmarit but not enough to make me throw the Tele Elmarit away. It's hard to see how the 75 Summarit could be any better in a practical sense, but i'd love to try one.

Only ever used a 75 Hektor once, shot a few frames with a customer's lens very many years ago. Another one I'd like to try, but now they sell for prices higher than I wantto (or can) pay.

Having grown up with ISO 25 Kodachrome, I think I can manage nicely with ISO 320 and f2.5/f2.8. But I have a Canon 85/2 from the early 1950s and I really love the images it turns out. I use it with a 75mm adapter on the M8 and framing is pretty much okay.

On the M8 I find the 75 frame easier to work with than the 90. But on film the 90 is better, for me at least. Frame lines are fine on my M2 (and were even better on my M3 when I had it)


PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari I have no images online to post here. You can find many sample via a Search. This lens is quite popular with the Digital M users.
I use mine for Glamour and such primarily. It's a great lens to shoot people and full body Portraits/Boudoir .

The lens has a much nicer build than the CV. Focus throw is a bit longer and gives a more solid feedback.
As well it flares much less and a smaller hood can be used.
The thread is 46mm and I used a short hood from a Contax G system f2/45 lens with mine simply for protection.
The CV really needs it's rather large hood which makes it a bit awkward to use as a "normal" lens. I sold the CV as well.
The two are otherwise quite similar in size without hoods. The Summarit a bit larger.
Image wise the Summarit seems to have a much silkier transition from in focus to out than the CV at wide open.
Images had a more *pop*
By f4 the lenses become more even in terms of performance. The CV lens is a very nice performer overall.
For others that use 75 sparingly I don't think the Leica lens is worth the extra investment.
If you use the FL often as it sound you (Hari) do I would not hesitate if budget allows.

For film BW in particular I don't think you could justify the difference between the two lenses IQ wise. Both are too high contrast to shoot B+W in the way I like to.
The Hektor if you could find one or an old nikkor f2/85 (which I use) is better for B+W film IMO.
I simply prefer the lower fidelity of the older single coated lenses for B+W film.
Recently I picked up a Canon f1.5/85 ltm lens. I looks like a winner on M8. I'm anxious to try it with HP5 Very Happy

BTW
Like Scambrook I use the 75 lines with my 85mm's on the M8. On film I use my M5 that has only the 90mm lines. I did try my modified M5 that has the 75 lines a couple times. The 90 seems to work much better on the .72 finders.
Thought it was just me but it seems others feel the same way.


PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you andy for highlighting the differences, great info!


PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Hari I have no images online to post here. You can find many sample via a Search. This lens is quite popular with the Digital M users.
I use mine for Glamour and such primarily. It's a great lens to shoot people and full body Portraits/Boudoir .

The lens has a much nicer build than the CV. Focus throw is a bit longer and gives a more solid feedback.
As well it flares much less and a smaller hood can be used.
The thread is 46mm and I used a short hood from a Contax G system f2/45 lens with mine simply for protection.
The CV really needs it's rather large hood which makes it a bit awkward to use as a "normal" lens. I sold the CV as well.
The two are otherwise quite similar in size without hoods. The Summarit a bit larger.
Image wise the Summarit seems to have a much silkier transition from in focus to out than the CV at wide open.
Images had a more *pop*
By f4 the lenses become more even in terms of performance. The CV lens is a very nice performer overall.
For others that use 75 sparingly I don't think the Leica lens is worth the extra investment.
If you use the FL often as it sound you (Hari) do I would not hesitate if budget allows.

For film BW in particular I don't think you could justify the difference between the two lenses IQ wise. Both are too high contrast to shoot B+W in the way I like to.
The Hektor if you could find one or an old nikkor f2/85 (which I use) is better for B+W film IMO.
I simply prefer the lower fidelity of the older single coated lenses for B+W film.
Recently I picked up a Canon f1.5/85 ltm lens. I looks like a winner on M8. I'm anxious to try it with HP5 Very Happy

BTW
Like Scambrook I use the 75 lines with my 85mm's on the M8. On film I use my M5 that has only the 90mm lines. I did try my modified M5 that has the 75 lines a couple times. The 90 seems to work much better on the .72 finders.
Thought it was just me but it seems others feel the same way.


Thanks mate! this was helpful.

there's one on evilbay at the moment, i'll pick it up

btw, what do you think of the 75 summilux?


PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Hari, it first made me think of the neck of a 10-strings guitar Smile


PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nice Hari, it first made me think of the neck of a 10-strings guitar Smile


Yes I thought similar! "Wow that's a wide fretboard" Very Happy

Nice abstract Hari. Excellent use of Dof