Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica R4, R5, R6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Leica R4, R5, R6 Reply with quote

According to local shop owner very common to get faulty item, he said every second has faulty.

What is your experience ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never considered Leica R cameras, they are too much expensive for their real value and much more technologically retarded compared to Contax SLR cameras.

An example? A Leica R7 or R8, which are plain jane cameras, cost more than a Contax RTS III which has vacuum flattened film, or a Contax AX which has autofocus via shifting film plane,
both technological features that were light years ahead of Leica.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I never considered Leica R cameras, they are too much expensive for their real value and much more technologically retarded compared to Contax SLR cameras.

An example? A Leica R7 or R8, which are plain jane cameras, cost more than a Contax RTS III which has vacuum flattened film, or a Contax AX which has autofocus via shifting film plane,
both technological features that were light years ahead of Leica.

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Leica R4, R5, R6 Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
According to local shop owner very common to get faulty item, he said every second has faulty.

Same experience based on Leica R5 & R6. Trigger spring, film winding lever, the mount (gets loose), body screws unscrewing themselves, lenses unscrewing themselves to pieces... Still better though than Hasselblad, which you have to own 3 of in order to keep shooting: one in use, one in repair, one in the mail making its way back from service.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Leica R4, R5, R6 Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Attila wrote:

Same experience based on Leica R5 & R6. Trigger spring, film winding lever, the mount (gets loose), body screws unscrewing themselves, lenses unscrewing themselves to pieces... Still better though than Hasselblad, which you have to own 3 of in order to keep shooting: one in use, one in repair, one in the mail making its way back from service.

Damn , looks like luxury items even worst than mass produced ones. I never thought this result before, I did try a Leica R4 she did look factory new, but light meter did give false reading even with fresh proper batteries,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Leica R4, R5, R6 Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Damn , looks like luxury items even worst than mass produced ones. I never thought this result before, I did try a Leica R4 she did look factory new, but light meter did give false reading even with fresh proper batteries,

It took some while before A) the Canadian production was up to the quality of Leitz and B) the people at Leica understood that "less expensive" R-model does not mean "shit". They improved and R7, R8 and R9 are splendid machines (R4 to R6 are more or less trial versions).

Check voltage on batteries, in 95% of cases wrong metering on Leica is explained by that - the R's center-weighted meter was one of the best of its time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I lately tried and kept the Leica R7. I didn't knew what to expect, but after a few films done, this is a real good camera, fits great in hand, logically disposed pads, very good light metering ( you have 5 modes ) and you can't say this is a bad camera, especially if you haven't tried it. It's a totally another conception of camera than Contax that's for sure, to each their own.

I was also a bit mixed as about the comparison with the Zeiss, some say that the Summicron is the best lens in the world. Ok it's good, i wasn't impressed, but began to appreciate it more and more, so with some time it'll match the Planar Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is common knowledge, that Leica have had a lot of problems with R4 when this modell joined the market.

I own a R7 and I never had any problem with this cam. I own also a RTSIII which is also a perfect cam, but try to get a spare part for this cam and you will see the differences.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: LEICA R Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
It is common knowledge, that Leica have had a lot of problems with R4 when this modell joined the market.

I own a R7 and I never had any problem with this cam. I own also a RTSIII which is also a perfect cam, but try to get a spare part for this cam and you will see the differences.

Wink

Since the new CMOS Leica M is coming, which allows to adapt Leica-R lenses with an special R-adapter, all Leica R SLR-bodies are staying like lead at the photo shops. This includes also the R8/R9 models.

The spare parts for the R4 etc. are getting short too, so I like the stable Contax RTSIII better!