Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

leica r3 electronic compatible lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
If you like the R-3 you will like the XE-7 and vice versa.

Nice to know that I like Leica R3, without ever having used one Very Happy Very Happy
I like XE-1 very much and use it with Minolta lenses, but also with Tamron, Vivitar, Panagor and Kiron lenses in MD-mount as well as Lenses in M42 and Exakta mount with an adapter.
I think I would be tempted by a Leica R-3 too Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: leica r3 electronic compatible lenses? Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:

It makes no sense whatsoever to do so. Simply get an XE-7 and you can put all kinds of Minolta or Minolta-compatible lenses on it.

As i have already said, i HAVE an XE-7.

Oreste wrote:
There are very few off-brand lenses for Leica R mount.

Hence the original thread subject wanting to know which are.

Oreste wrote:
The R-3 is basically identical to the XE-7. That is the correct answer.

A true statement but not an answer to my question.

Oreste wrote:
There is no reason to prefer the Leica R3 to the Minolta XE-7 if you don't want to put Leica R lenses on it.

This is where i am having trouble Wink i might find i prefer the leica with a non leica lens to my minolta xe7, stranger things have happened. Call me mad or nonsensical, but i think i'm gonna do it, muhahahahaa Laughing Razz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:

I think I would be tempted by a Leica R-3 too Embarassed
I dare you Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: leica r3 electronic compatible lenses? Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
Oreste wrote:

It makes no sense whatsoever to do so. Simply get an XE-7 and you can put all kinds of Minolta or Minolta-compatible lenses on it.

As i have already said, i HAVE an XE-7.

Oreste wrote:
There are very few off-brand lenses for Leica R mount.

Hence the original thread subject wanting to know which are.

Oreste wrote:
The R-3 is basically identical to the XE-7. That is the correct answer.

A true statement but not an answer to my question.

Oreste wrote:
There is no reason to prefer the Leica R3 to the Minolta XE-7 if you don't want to put Leica R lenses on it.

This is where i am having trouble Wink i might find i prefer the leica with a non leica lens to my minolta xe7, stranger things have happened. Call me mad or nonsensical, but i think i'm gonna do it, muhahahahaa Laughing Razz

Other than the lens mount and meter system mechanism, the cameras are basically the same. Leica simply bought the bodies from Minolta and fixed them up to take Leica lenses and added their own meter mechanism.

There has never been much of a market for 'cheap' lenses for Leica, because the lenses are the chief motivation for buying Leica to start with. So, the answer is there are very few lenses to fit Leica R that are not made by Leica. There were some 'adapter' lenses (Tamron?) made, I think, but they are scarce. There were also some Angenieux lenses, but they were expensive too. So, if you don't want Leica lenses for your R3 you're not going to have many lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: leica r3 electronic compatible lenses? Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:

There has never been much of a market for 'cheap' lenses for Leica, because the lenses are the chief motivation for buying Leica to start with. So, the answer is there are very few lenses to fit Leica R that are not made by Leica. There were some 'adapter' lenses (Tamron?) made, I think, but they are scarce. There were also some Angenieux lenses, but they were expensive too. So, if you don't want Leica lenses for your R3 you're not going to have many lenses.

We are almost there Smile If you look at the earlier posts it turns out there are a couple of adapters that will work on the r3 allowing a large number of 3rd party lenses to be used Smile causa finita est

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: leica r3 electronic compatible lenses? Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
Oreste wrote:

We are almost there Smile If you look at the earlier posts it turns out there are a couple of adapters that will work on the r3 allowing a large number of 3rd party lenses to be used Smile causa finita est

But why bother? There are thousands of Minolta-mount lenses that will couple to the meter on the Minolta and allow infinity focussing. This makes no sense to me.

Look, if you want to be silly, be silly. But if someone is asking a serious question I am going to give a serious answer, not a frivolous one.

It will be hard to find them among the millions of other independent lenses for sale on sites such as e-bay. Not sure where to start.

I did find a couple, but they are not cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-VIVITAR-Telephoto-300mm-F5-5-Leica-R-System-fit-POWERFUL-Telephoto-Lens-/200794020425?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item2ec0419a49

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamron-SP-CF-Macro-MC-70-210mm-F3-5-LEICA-R-System-fit-POWERFUL-Telephoto-/221127956653?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item337c40d8ad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for looking, expensive it is true Smile I a thinking more of somthing like this
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/271058362265?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

and if i have read the earlier posts correctly i can use http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/180966026883?item=180966026883&ViewItem=

a grand total of around 30 euro if i was to win a similar lens to the one above. Then i have a working leica, or is it only a leica if it has a leica lens........

how many cows tails does it take to reach the moon?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
Thank you for looking, expensive it is true Smile I a thinking more of somthing like this
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/271058362265?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

and if i have read the earlier posts correctly i can use http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/180966026883?item=180966026883&ViewItem=

a grand total of around 30 euro if i was to win a similar lens to the one above. Then i have a working leica, or is it only a leica if it has a leica lens........

again, though, why bother? this is a preset lens. you can get equally cheap auto-diaphragm lenses for the Minolta that are meter-coupled.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dct=1&_sacat=0&_from=R9&_dmd=1&_armrs=1&_pcats=14969%2C293&_nkw=135%20mm%20MD%20Minolta&_sop=15

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
maxcastle wrote:

again, though, why bother? this is a preset lens. you can get equally cheap auto-diaphragm lenses for the Minolta that are meter-coupled.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dct=1&_sacat=0&_from=R9&_dmd=1&_armrs=1&_pcats=14969%2C293&_nkw=135%20mm%20MD%20Minolta&_sop=15

I thought we were almost there but i guess i was wrong Sad I have a minolta xe7, with rokkor lenses including a 135mm etc. I know how they perform and i am happy with it. I would like to try a leica r3, but can't afford a leica lens, yet, so i am going to try an adapter with a third party lens. I know it won't be a full blooded leica, kind of dual heritage if i can say that, but, i will at least see how a leica r3 body feels, probably the same as an xe7 but as i have not tried i don't yet know. Can you dig it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: leica r3 electronic compatible lenses? Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:

If you are referring to the T/T2 (M42/0.75, NOT M42x1) adapters then you may be limited to longer/tele lenses although they can be used for bellows and macro if you want.

As for the Pentacon or similar lenses, it's up to you if you want to spend your limited funds on them and the appropriate adapters. There is also a Pentax 67 > Leica R adapter. The Pentax lenses have an excellent reputation but they are not cheap. You say that one of your reasons for using the R3 is for 'economics' but the whole thing seems economically irrational. At least if you do buy any medium format lenses you can potentially use them on another body with another adapter.

Fine, if you just want to experiment then have a play with the R3, we all spend money on our hobbies, but it seems more rational to just sell it and buy a more suitable body, if economics is an issue. Any body which takes M42 lenses on the other hand will offer a much greater range of lenses to choose from and usually very cheap too.

One good thing about third party Leica mount lenses is that they should be extremely cheap as I doubt there would be any demand for them at all (except for you). As others have said, people generally buy Leica R bodies to use Leica R glass, and not the other way around. Look at KEH, they may have some leica mount third party lenses, although shipping tends to be expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell the R3 and with the profits buy something optically top notch but available cheaply.

Konica and Minolta are the prime candidates. The Konica lenses are all really top level ones, all of them, without exception are superb, some are as good as you will ever find. Konica cameras are the let-down, they have unreliable electronics, but if you find a working one, they are awesome, I love the FT-1, but the FS-1, FC-1 and FP-1 are all excellent too, just find one with a working meter, which is the weak point.

Minolta, the cameras are more relaible and there are more to choose from, others know them better than me but something like an x-300 or x-700 would be a good starting point. The Rokkor lenses can rival the Konicas for quality, I have Rokkor-PF 1.7/50 and Rokkor-SG 3.5/28 lenses that are stunning, as good as their Konica counterparts and better than the equivalent Canon FD and Pentax M lenses.

I'd avoid third party lenses, with few exceptions they aren't as good as the main makers, and to me, what's the point in using them when much better lenses can be had for the same price.

My usual Konica SLR bag would consist of FT-1 and FP-1 bodies, 4/21, 2.8/24, 3.5/28, UC 4/45-100, 1.4/50, 3.2/135, UC 4/80-200. I know for a fact that all of those lenses are really top level and are better than I am a photographer so if there are any IQ issues it is my faulty technique, not the equipment.

You could spend 30x as much on the same from Leica and only have fractionally better IQ, but honestly, that's a waste of time as the quality of developing, processing and scanning will have far more influence in your results.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
Oreste wrote:
maxcastle wrote:

I thought we were almost there but i guess i was wrong Sad I have a minolta xe7, with rokkor lenses including a 135mm etc. I know how they perform and i am happy with it. I would like to try a leica r3, but can't afford a leica lens, yet, so i am going to try an adapter with a third party lens. I know it won't be a full blooded leica, kind of dual heritage if i can say that, but, i will at least see how a leica r3 body feels, probably the same as an xe7 but as i have not tried i don't yet know. Can you dig it?

if you can't afford it, then do something else. it makes no sense. the whole point of leica is Leica lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what do you get with Leica lenses you don't get with others?

Fractionally sharper and that 'glow'?

Supposedly better built and engineered... well go hold a Takumar or Topcor for a while.

Leica have their place but always remember, whatever they do offer, what they definitely don't offer is value for money.

If absolute quality is your goal, Zeiss Contax T* or some of the Zeiss/Voigtlander lenses in Rollei QBM mount.

If the best possible performance vs price ratio is your goal (and this is most people, those without nice bank accounts) then Konica, Minolta, Olympus OM, some of the later MC Russians like the Zenitar M2s 2/50mm, Tair-37 MC 2.3/135.

What lenses will yo actually use often? For me, I could do most things with 28mm, 50mm, 135mm. Add an ultrawide like a 21mm and I could cover almost anything.

Distagon 2.8/28, Planar 1.7/50, Sonnar 2.8/135, that's at least 500ukp worth of lenses, plus a fair bit more for a Contax body, or use a Yashica like an FX-3, those are not expensive.

Konica 3.5/28 is about 20-30ukp, Konica 1.7/50 the same, Konica 3.2/135 the same again. Konica bodes are cheap, 10-30ukp.

The difference between those two setups in IQ terms is slight, the Zeiss has that Zeiss look with the strong microcontrast and '3d pop' but other than that, the Konicas have it all.

Minolta is cheaper still, you can pick up the 3.5/28, 1.7/50 and 2.8/135 Minoltas for less than 10ukp each, I see them go for less than a tenner pretty often too, the bodies are very common and very cheap.

When you want to add a 21mm, the Konica and Minolta ones are both fantastic, but not cheap. Still a lot cheaper than a Distagon 21mm though.

I didn't bother thinking what a 28/50/135 combo in Leica would cost, too much to be considered imho, those with more wealth may feel different.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
And what do you get with Leica lenses you don't get with others?

Durability, brilliance, fantastic color. That does not mean that there are not other good lenses. My point was that buying an R3 and putting some other lens on it was pointless. You can do that much cheaper with other cameras, and the selection of lenses is huge.

Yes, I am familiar with all the major Japanese manufacturers' lenses, and none is as well built, though some are very good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: leica r3 electronic compatible lenses? Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:

One good thing about third party Leica mount lenses is that they should be extremely cheap as I doubt there would be any demand for them at all (except for you).
Steady on old chap Shocked Laughing

As a poster above pointed out I really just want to know what can be done with the camera without spending a fortune on a leica lens. The pros and cons of leica lenses are somthing that are covered in other posts and innumerable forums, much of it too pedantic for my taste and beyond my comprehension in any case . As to my foolishness, sillyness etc i'm afraid that can't be helped. Like the man said " you can't fool me i'm too stupid" Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: leica r3 electronic compatible lenses? Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
maxcastle wrote:

If you are referring to the T/T2 (M42/0.75, NOT M42x1) adapters then you may be limited to longer/tele lenses although they can be used for bellows and macro if you want.

As for the Pentacon or similar lenses, it's up to you if you want to spend your limited funds on them and the appropriate adapters. There is also a Pentax 67 > Leica R adapter. The Pentax lenses have an excellent reputation but they are not cheap. You say that one of your reasons for using the R3 is for 'economics' but the whole thing seems economically irrational. At least if you do buy any medium format lenses you can potentially use them on another body with another adapter.

Fine, if you just want to experiment then have a play with the R3, we all spend money on our hobbies, but it seems more rational to just sell it and buy a more suitable body, if economics is an issue. Any body which takes M42 lenses on the other hand will offer a much greater range of lenses to choose from and usually very cheap too.

One good thing about third party Leica mount lenses is that they should be extremely cheap as I doubt there would be any demand for them at all (except for you). As others have said, people generally buy Leica R bodies to use Leica R glass, and not the other way around. Look at KEH, they may have some leica mount third party lenses, although shipping tends to be expensive.

Completely wrong!!!

I have a leica R4s that i am using with all my tamron adaptall lenses (some of them i bought them for less than a pound) and i am extremely happy with the results.

My camera, my lenses, my decision.

So if I follow your irrational and oreste's crazy statement, then i will need to throw away ALL my lenses and start buying only nikons an canons for my D200 and 20D, so to the bin my whole collection of Takumars, Zeiss, helios, mirs, jupiters, etc, etc , etc.

Completely nonsense.

Max go for the R3 body with third party-non astronomical prices you will do fine and you will be happy with it, and if not, you can always sell it, can´t you?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste's and jjphoto's point Makes actually sense, by itself.
Only that here the op's question was not wether to buy/keep an r3 or another cam, but just what cheaper glass could be available for it, so I don't see where's the problem.
You think he's wasting money? Warm him once.

Back on topic:
Obviously the best choice for your R3 would be Leica R lenses - expensive, true, but averagely more affordable than other Leica stuff.
Leica R lenses from other makers are very scarce, for the reasons Oreste and jjphoto pointed out: I missed a vivitar 21/3.8 that went for peanuts some months ago, and it was the first third party Leica R lens I met in quite a long time.
Other available choices, as already said above, are some T/T2 lenses and some medium format ones.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: leica r3 electronic compatible lenses? Reply with quote

inombrable wrote:
Completely wrong!!!

I have a leica R4s that i am using with all my tamron adaptall lenses (some of them i bought them for less than a pound) and i am extremely happy with the results...

Thanks for setting me straight there. I thought my R4, RE and R8 where just dust caps for my Leica lenses. Surprised
inombrable wrote:

So if I follow your irrational and oreste's crazy statement, then i will need to throw away ALL my lenses and start buying only nikons an canons for my D200 and 20D, so to the bin my whole collection of Takumars, Zeiss, helios, mirs, jupiters, etc, etc , etc...

Speaking of irrational, maybe you can inform us and the OP how he can use those Takumars, Zeiss, helios, mirs, jupiters that you value so highly on his R3. I'm kind of curious too.

Last edited by jjphoto on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: leica r3 electronic compatible lenses? Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:

Speaking of irrational, maybe you can inform us and the OP how he can use those Takumars, Zeiss, helios, mirs, jupiters that you value so highly on his R3. I'm kind of curious too.

my english is not oxford i'm afraid, but i think what he meant was that if you only use the camera manufacturers lenses then he could not use other m42's besides takumars on his spotmatic for instance, or use any russian lenses only on russian cameras. I'm guessing here but i'm pretty sure thats what he meant, nor do i think he meant to imply any insult to your cameras or lenses, he's a nice chap with a lot of common sense Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Oreste's and jjphoto's point Makes actually sense, by itself.
Only that here the op's question was not wether to buy/keep an r3 or another cam, but just what cheaper glass could be available for it, so I don't see where's the problem.
You think he's wasting money? Warm him once.

Back on topic:
Obviously the best choice for your R3 would be Leica R lenses - expensive, true, but averagely more affordable than other Leica stuff.
Leica R lenses from other makers are very scarce, for the reasons Oreste and jjphoto pointed out: I missed a vivitar 21/3.8 that went for peanuts some months ago, and it was the first third party Leica R lens I met in quite a long time.
Other available choices, as already said above, are some T/T2 lenses and some medium format ones.

Again, not the point. Very few independent lenses were made in Leica R mount, because people who buy Leica do so for the lenses. It simply does not make sense. The Leica R3 is identical with the Minolta XE-7 in most respects (except for mount and meter/mirror mechanism). Therefore, if the goal is to use all kinds of inexpensive lenses (manufacturer and independent), the Minolta makes sense.

I'm not saying he 'should' buy Leica lenses. That's not for me to say. But if one is looking to find cheap independent lenses for an R3, the pickings will be slim indeed.

If, on the other hand, the goal is to try to grasp "what Leica is all about", well then a Leica lens is going to be necessary.

On another discussion group, someone said:

"LIke many here I too have used a number of different cameras each with some very excellent lenses, including Zeiss, producing excellent results technically. However the fact remains that amongst my stack of A3 sized exhibition prints, the ones that just leap out from a board of say 20 taken with a variety of lenses, the ones that leap out and are commented on are always from a Leica lens.

I would qualify this by stating that not all of my images taken with Leica glass produce this effect, far from it, but NONE of my otherwise technically perfect images produce that "je ne sais quoi" of the good Leica images. Some refer to this as the Leica "glow".

Whatever it is, it's very, very special"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
Again, not the point.

You're right the point is:
Oreste wrote:

Very few independent lenses were made in Leica R mount

Which ones? Which other mounts can be adapted?
This is the point, according to thread title.

As for Leica lenses, I have no opinions, as I never owned one - I don't "need" one, cheap lenses are good enough for my skills so far - but again I think discussion shouldn't be about this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Oreste wrote:
Again, not the point.

You're right the point is:
Oreste wrote:

Very few independent lenses were made in Leica R mount

Which ones? Which other mounts can be adapted?
This is the point, according to thread title.

As for Leica lenses, I have no opinions, as I never owned one - I don't "need" one, cheap lenses are good enough for my skills so far - but again I think discussion shouldn't be about this.

Very few independent lenses were made in Leica R mount, for reasons already stated. I don't know much about them, and I doubt many people will. I am trying to say, politely, that this is a wild goose chase. I managed to find two on e-bay.

On the other hand, there are hundreds of thousands of Minolta MD and MC mount lenses available everywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:

"LIke many here I too have used a number of different cameras each with some very excellent lenses, including Zeiss, producing excellent results technically. However the fact remains that amongst my stack of A3 sized exhibition prints, the ones that just leap out from a board of say 20 taken with a variety of lenses, the ones that leap out and are commented on are always from a Leica lens.

I would qualify this by stating that not all of my images taken with Leica glass produce this effect, far from it, but NONE of my otherwise technically perfect images produce that "je ne sais quoi" of the good Leica images. Some refer to this as the Leica "glow".

Again, more rubbish about Leica. People never seem to be able to quantify what about Leica lenses is better so they become all mystical and talk about glow and feel.

It's rubbish, people trying to justify the great expense of the Leica lens.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Oreste wrote:

Again, more rubbish about Leica. People never seem to be able to quantify what about Leica lenses is better so they become all mystical and talk about glow and feel.

It's rubbish, people trying to justify the great expense of the Leica lens.

That was a quote from someone else's post in another forum. There are indeed quantifiable differences. Regardless, the OP is asking for someone to try to find non-Leica R lenses for him. They are not going to be easy to find. Perhaps google or e-bay. I am not aware of any 'list' of such lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: leica r3 electronic compatible lenses? Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
jjphoto wrote:

my english is not oxford i'm afraid, but i think what he meant was that if you only use the camera manufacturers lenses then he could not use other m42's besides takumars on his spotmatic for instance, or use any russian lenses only on russian cameras. I'm guessing here but i'm pretty sure thats what he meant, nor do i think he meant to imply any insult to your cameras or lenses, he's a nice chap with a lot of common sense Smile

Exactly, and like i said everyone's opinion is fine but not the topic of this thread.

So back to topic, i think tamron could be a good option but the adapter is not common, i got mine with a leica r3 body and a tamron lens with water damage.

Now that i come to think.... maybe someone saw this BIZARRE combination of camera/lens and decided to throw it into the ocean and free the world of this ABOMINATION!!!!!

Well at the end the set made it out of the ocean and to my surprise the Leica camera was completely garbage but the tamron lens apart from a couple of salt spots in one element, it is working great with no rust at all.