Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica R SUmmicron 50. V.1 or V.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Leica R SUmmicron 50. V.1 or V.2 Reply with quote

I purchased (again and again...) another summicron R 50/2 v.2

Also can buy the v. 1, but is not cheap, so I ask if it has value to buy it-

Marco Cavina said that the V1 is better for longer distances (like the M series)

Any experience with the crons 50 R?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the E60 version, I don't think you will need the early E55 version.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Leica R SUmmicron 50. V.1 or V.2 Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

Marco Cavina said that the V1 is better for longer distances (like the M series)

I have one, and being a Leica lover I find hard to say it, but I don't like it particularly. Probably possesses qualities of pleasantness that will recall its noble origins, but I cannot accept a 50 of moderate brightness that up to f: 8 has no sharp edges in a landscape, and too much is the difference with its wonderful cousin of the same age for Leica M.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
If you have the E60 version, I don't think you will need the early E55 version.

Thank you, Calvin. Very much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Leica R SUmmicron 50. V.1 or V.2 Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
papasito wrote:

I have one, and being a Leica lover I find hard to say it, but I don't like it particularly. Probably possesses qualities of pleasantness that will recall its noble origins, but I cannot accept a 50 of moderate brightness that up to f: 8 has no sharp edges in a landscape, and too much is the difference with its wonderful cousin of the same age for Leica M.

Thank you, Ultrapix.

As you said, the cron 50 v,2 was designed for best rendering in close range, not really for landscapes, and you can take them using F/6,3 to F/11. Thinking about landscapes F/6,3 is not so bad (for common use, of course)

In Leica series, the M is the more adecuate for longer focus distance.

I had some M 50 : v.1 with 7 elements (included the DR - my favorite of them because the MDF 50 cm), the v.3 -great contrast and the previous to the APO version. And they are all great lenses.

Perhaps is a subjective question, but the cron R 50 makes me feel sure in the street. It's solid with very good IQ from F3,5 at center (usuable from F/2,4) and F/5,6 in whole image.

Not a marvelous? Of course not. But solid. When you see the escene You know perfectly what you can get at any aperture, always.

Some of you can feel the same with some others lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Leica R SUmmicron 50. V.1 or V.2 Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:
papasito wrote:

Thank you, Ultrapix.

As you said, the cron 50 v,2 was designed for best rendering in close range, not really for landscapes, and you can take them using F/6,3 to F/11. Thinking about landscapes F/6,3 is not so bad (for common use, of course)

In Leica series, the M is the more adecuate for longer focus distance.

I had some M 50 : v.1 with 7 elements (included the DR - my favorite of them because the MDF 50 cm), the v.3 -great contrast and the previous to the APO version. And they are all great lenses.

Perhaps is a subjective question, but the cron R 50 makes me feel sure in the street. It's solid with very good IQ from F3,5 at center (usuable from F/2,4) and F/5,6 in whole image.

Not a marvelous? Of course not. But solid. When you see the escene You know perfectly what you can get at any aperture, always.

Some of you can feel the same with some others lenses.

My bad, I was meaning the first version, the II is way better in my opinion, but I didn't keep it. I would sell also my first wersion if it wasn't for two reasons: it's so beautiful on the marvelous Leicaflex SL, and it's a gift from a passed away friend, so I'll never part from it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean I should skip trying to get a Leica R Summicron? This has been a lens I have been thinking about since they can be found for a descent price at least as far as Leica lenses go.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
Does that mean I should skip trying to get a Leica R Summicron? This has been a lens I have been thinking about since they can be found for a descent price at least as far as Leica lenses go.

it's not stellar, but has a solid performance. If that solidity worth something, then perhaps it's not a bad idea to try the cron-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I have so many lenses around 50mm that the leica would need to really stand out for me to even consider purchasing it. I have read in several places it's the best 50mm. Looks like the range finder summicron is the better performer?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
Honestly I have so many lenses around 50mm that the leica would need to really stand out for me to even consider purchasing it. I have read in several places it's the best 50mm. Looks like the range finder summicron is the better performer?

Indeed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:

Your decision is very personal.Only you can judge the quality that a lens can have for you-

Does that lens deserve that you buy it, compared to other lenses that you already have?

Only you can know that.

You buy it or not, it is at your own risk or benefit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rely on forums such as this one and others, blog posts, and flickr albums to determine if I want to buy a lens to try for myself. I have been curious about picking up a Leica Summicron 50mm for some time now. However, it's getting difficult to decide what I want because of all the versions. There are the rangefinder lenses of which I think there are at least 6 or 7 types. Then there are the Leica R lenses and looks like at least 2 types. The Leica R lenses seem to be at a much better price than the rangefinder ones and I thought that optically they would be similar, but it's looking like they may not be. So at this point I don't have enough information to make a decision.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the cron R 50 is better than my MDIII 50/1,4.

I will see when the copy of the cron come.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy picks the Leica R (looks to be v2) over the Minolta (looks to be MDII).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApEZ5StOURs

He says the Leica has better corners, but the Minolta has better contrast. He appears to be testing on a micro four thirds camera so who knows what would happen on full frame.

The MD III is supposed to be better. However, from this test the MDII appears to be almost the same.

https://lens.ws/comparison-minolta-sr-50mm-f1-4/

This review is interesting. This is the type 3 Summicron range finder lens which apparently isn't considered one of the better ones. However, the review claims it's sharp from center to the corners from f/2 to f/16:

Quote:
But where the V3 really starts to show its legendary character is when we notice that it retains resolution and sharpness to the edges of the frame at every aperture (and yes, that deserves italics). The Summicron V3 is every bit as sharp to the corners from f/2 to f/16. One need not stop-down for a sharper image; it’s all there at every aperture if you need it. Unbelievable.

https://casualphotophile.com/2017/11/15/leica-summicron-v3-50mm-f2-lens-review/

The same website has a review of the Leica R as well, but apparently an early version that doesn't have corner to corner sharpness at wider apertures. Not sure about the later version.

https://casualphotophile.com/2018/05/04/a-year-with-the-leitz-summicron-r-50mm-f-2-lens/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1- In my opinion, the Leica cron 50 M v.3 is not the best.

Has much more contrast than the V-1 and v.2 (v.1 DR). It was the first design with 6 elements (the V. 1 and 2 have 7 elements).

Borned in 1969, the formula is 6/5 (3/2 at the front and 3/3 at the rear) like the Pancolar 50/1,8-

In V.4 Leica design was 6/4.
With both (v,3 and v.4) I couln't see important differences in IQ.

I used the v.3 for many years, more than the V.2 and the V.4.

Had not the APO.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

Can you provide more details?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
papasito wrote:

Can you provide more details?

Well. I can say that:

1- It's not the sharpest of the bunch (no more than the V.1-2 nor the v.4)

2.-It's has not the strong contrast. No more than the v.4

3.-Not has the better bokeh. No more than the v.1-2-

You can think in other way, of course.

I don't know how about your own experience with them.

Do you have something to enrich us with your experience?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

I do not.
I am interested in buying a Leica summicron and trying to determine the best version for me. It's too expensive to buy the different versions to test them for myself. So I am trying to get as much information as I can from those that own or have owned them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
papasito wrote:

I do not.
I am interested in buying a Leica summicron and trying to determine the best version for me. It's too expensive to buy the different versions to test them for myself. So I am trying to get as much information as I can from those that own or have owned them.

Good luck!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
papasito wrote:

I do not.

You can sell them easily, for what you paid or even higher, if you don't want them. Make sure you get them at the right price in good condition.

There is one more factor you may need to consider. V3 has wider focus ring than V5 while V4 have focus tab only.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of you. I have decided not to buy the v. 1 of the cron R 50.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, they are with me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now two pics taken with the cron R 50

First I apologice because the pics were taken inside my house. I'm 62, diabetic and hypertensive, so is very unsafe to go out with exceptions.

First at F72,8

Second at F/3,5 ( the six apertures appear here, I didn't see those before-

There were two of my first four pics taken with the cron.