Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

leica r and contax rf lenses on leica m body?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: leica r and contax rf lenses on leica m body? Reply with quote

So ive put together a budget leica rf combo by using a 50 summicron r adpted on a minolta cle body. I have the lens and body and am now shopping for adapter. Which adapter should i get?

I also havr two contax rf lenses thay i would like to use on the minolta body. Does anyone here have experience with this? Ive already learned that my biogon cant be used on micro 4/3 body. Has anyone used a contax rf biogon on a leica m?

Last edited by kiev3 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to use the Contax standard lens on Leica M mount body, but the adapter could be rather expensive because of the complicated construction (with helicoid and rf coupling built in). For 35mm and 21mm Biogons, even with the right adapter, the rear construction of the lens would interfere the rf coupling on the M mount camera, making it rather tricky to use. For longer lenses, they would be ok to use with the right adapter. I believe a rf coupling calibration would be needed if proper focusing is required.

Not sure about M43, both post war Biogons can be used on Sony Nex, I tried...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-12 and old 35/2.8 Biogons (no matter if M39 or Contax RF) can be adapted only to Leica M and Sony A7/r but not to APS-C NEX, µFT, EOS M and so on, as rear element is too huge to fit into the body.

Contax RF versions need an expensive adapter to work rangefinder-coupled on Leica M
Click here to see on Ebay.de

Better get an Kiev Contax clone with Helios 103 etc., they are nice and cheap (though not as nice as Minolta CLE for sure).

Or look for Minolta M-Rokkors or Leica C-Series (Summicron-C 40/2 and Elmar-C 90/4, Minolta M-Rokkor 40/2 and 28/2.8 and 90/4)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why use R lenses on an M body? Isn't the whole (or at least part of) the point that M lenses are so teeny-tiny? I'd rather get some M39/LTM lenses and adapt those to M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Jupiter-12 and old 35/2.8 Biogons (no matter if M39 or Contax RF) can be adapted only to Leica M and Sony A7/r but not to APS-C NEX, µFT, EOS M and so on, as rear element is too huge to fit into the body.
)

This is good to hear. As far as rf coupling, I dont need that, I can get by with zone focusing. I would be very glad just to have my biogon on a modern rf body.

Regarding leica-r lenses on an m body: the leica r is a newer summicron ens than its ltm counterpart for the same price. I'm going with the newer lens.