Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica MR Telyt 500mm f8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Leica MR Telyt 500mm f8 Reply with quote

Hi,
how sharp is this lens compared to other mirror lenses, especially to the Rubinar, which I own?
From the pictures I have seen it seems sharper, but I'd like to have your opinion

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the rebadged Minolta RF 500/8 lens. IMHO the Minolta is very nice. I have both Minolta versions RF and AF but no Rubinar.
No need to pay the extra money for the Leitz markings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long rime ago a consortium of friends bought a maksutov 500\8 in a wooden box with filters from Mashpriborintorg, pesumably similar to the Rubinar. OK sharpness but difficult to use.

I now have a Leitz 500MR which is Ok on a tripod when accurately focussed and with a longer sunshade, with only millimetres depth of field focus is paramount. I cannot make any comparisons, since the Maksutov is long gone, but expect a bit lower contrast than from a first class refractory lens, and do keep in mind that cold and clear air is best for distant subjects.

p.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Leica MR Telyt 500mm f8 Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Hi,
how sharp is this lens compared to other mirror lenses, especially to the Rubinar, which I own?
From the pictures I have seen it seems sharper, but I'd like to have your opinion

Thank you

I do have the Minolta (and the 2nd [1984] version of the Nikkor, among others).
Since you are in ZH, you might PM me if you want to try the Minolta.

S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Minolta versions, AF and MF, and they are very good, withoubt a doubt the best of the mirror's that I have which are -Tamron 55B, Canon 500 / 8, and the LZOS 3M-5CA 500 / 9 ( Matsukov ) I sold a Korean made Phoenix 500 / 8 which was OK, until you compared it to the others.
The Minolta's are superb, if the Leitz is the same, which I believe it is, then you should be very happy with it. The Tamron is my next choice, but the LZOS isn't bad at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I have the Minolta versions, AF and MF, and they are very good, withoubt a doubt the best of the mirror's that I have which are -Tamron 55B, Canon 500 / 8, and the LZOS 3M-5CA 500 / 9 ( Matsukov ) I sold a Korean made Phoenix 500 / 8 which was OK, until you compared it to the others.
The Minolta's are superb, if the Leitz is the same, which I believe it is, then you should be very happy with it. The Tamron is my next choice, but the LZOS isn't bad at all.

I've got the Minolta MF, The Tamron 55B and the Canon RF - out of those three lenses I would chose the latter if i had to since in terms of optical performance (resolution and contrast) and handling, it is ahead of the others. I think sample variation is important with mirror lenses and decentering issues are frequent, the Tokina 500 mm f/8 and Sigma 600 mm f/8 I had were just awful compared to the three lenses I mentionned above.