Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica M8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Leica M8 Reply with quote

I have to stop looking at the images made with this camera. They make me want to go out and kidnap a banker, and my mother and our Major would not approve. Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Leica M8 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I have to stop looking at the images made with this camera. They make me want to go out and kidnap a banker, and my mother and our Major would not approve. Shocked

(If you need people for the gang, take me into account. I like this camera since it was previewed, maybe kidnapping two bankers instead...)

Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The details blow away the 5D.
Which is not easy.

-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Leica M8 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

I see what you mean. The M8 is a fantastic cam.

You need a reason not to feel like having it?
Hmmm... it still has a problem with deep black which often turns into dark violet on the pictures. Each lens you use needs a special filter...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Leica M8 Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Hmmm... it still has a problem with deep black which often turns into dark violet on the pictures. Each lens you use needs a special filter...

Really?
Then I don't want it for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Orio:

Do you recall those B+W IR blocking filters you mentioned a while back - they may have been designed with the M8 in mind.

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/tipps/uv-ir_cut_filter.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Leica M8 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Really?

See here:
http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/equipment/leica_m8/Leica_M8_review.html

And something else:
http://joi.ito.com/archives/2007/03/14/my_m8_and_my_struggle_with_color.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The details blow away the 5D.
Which is not easy.

-

Ok, I'll do you a favor and take your 5D. So you will find a reason to go to for the M8. Deal? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Leica M8 Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

That's true, but at least Leica is giving 2 IR filters for free to the M8 users.

Orio, if you plan to convert to B&W, which is very common to Leica users, that won't be a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Leica M8 Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Really?

See here:
http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/equipment/leica_m8/Leica_M8_review.html

And something else:
http://joi.ito.com/archives/2007/03/14/my_m8_and_my_struggle_with_color.html

And this:
http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/equipment/leica_m8/Leica_M8_ThomasHoepker.html
Purple Haze is so 1970s.

Strikes me that Leica rushed it out too soon and let the buyers do the beta testing. Dodgy auto white balance, horrible noise at 1250 and purple blacks? Stinks for a five grand camera. What I find faintly amusing is the slightly defensive attitude of some of the purchasers - I know if I'd shelled out that kind of money and got those faults I'd be demanding a refund.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Leica M8 Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
... What I find faintly amusing is the slightly defensive attitude of some of the purchasers ...

You know why? No alternatives!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but its a crop camera (1.33x) not FF Sad I'd say its better one on film, lets say a Zeiss Ikon http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/zeiss.htm (click here) or even a Voiglander Bessa M... . For the difference you can make many films and with processing included.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
...but its a crop camera (1.33x) not FF Sad I'd say its better one on film, lets say a Zeiss Ikon http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/zeiss.htm (click here) or even a Voiglander Bessa M... . For the difference you can make many films and with processing included.

Of course, you could pay for many films with the money you save and esp. the Zeiss Ikon is by no means worse than an M7.
But then we could start again why anybody wants a digital cam at all.
It is not the quality, it is the easy of use and the speed you get the results with.
Just think of "testing" some lenses. An American friend of mine, some kind of RF fanatic, recently has "tested" several M-lenses at his M6TTL. It was such a hassle to note down all the details and to match them with the later pictures (that also had to be scanned)...
We know about that.

So, although I really like to shoot on film and I still think that nobody "needs" a digital cam, it is very nice to have one.

And thus I can understand the wish for a digital RF. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the advantages of a digital camera are many. Still, to pay that amount for a non FF camera , even its Leica, it is too much. This alters the lenses focal lenght adding the crop factor.
I went on digital because of the costs of the processing and lack of film materials. In what quality resides my digitally made pictures are not better then my film ones, even there I had available 2-3 rolls at once with me (vs. the digital with many shots but many similar with each other).
When the sensors will be FF, and the dinamic range at least the same as the color negative films (I would add, when you'll be able to just change the sensor of your camera and not the whole camera Smile ) than the film will be obsolete, I think. Still, I fell using film, like reading a real book, with paper which is much pleasant than when reading a PDF file on the screen. Not the same, not the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
When the sensors will be FF...

Right, still too expensive!

montecarlo wrote:
... and the dinamic range at least the same as the color negative films ...

Oh, that's already done. But I know about the endless discussion about that.

montecarlo wrote:
I would add, when you'll be able to just change the sensor of your camera and not the whole camera Smile ...

That would be a dream situation. Use a high-resolution APS-Sensor for tele shots and a FF for wide-angle shots!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

That would be a dream situation. Use a high-resolution APS-Sensor for tele shots and a FF for wide-angle shots!

But this already exists. It's called "cropping" Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Laughing Yes with loss of resolution included. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Orio wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Laughing Yes with loss of resolution included. Wink

Not true. If the two sensors (full frame and APS) have the same density of photocells (meaning the same ratio of photo cells per cm2), the loss of resolution belongs natively to the APS sensor, rightly because it's smaller. Cropping a full frame image to the size of an APS sensor would then produce exactly the same number of pixels as the APS sensor.
In other words, using a full frame camera and cropping it to the size of an APS sensor would produce exactly the same image that an APS sensor camera would produce.

-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the sensors were equal...

patrickh