Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica M10
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Leica M10 Reply with quote













PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1


PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small

An M9M has been my mainstay now for 4 years and I think your post will cost me dearly.


PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. Nice review.

The M9 is already deleted from my wishlist. I'm sure that the M10 is the better choice.

BTW, the Wi-Fi connectivity is for the time being limited to Apple hardware (iPhone) hence I've already contacted Leica customer support in Germany. I told them that I would never ever in my life use anything from Apple not even free of charge and that apprx. 85% of the smartphone users are on Android. Finally I see no chance to buy the M10 without Android connectivity. Surprisingly they promised me in writing to provide the overall better Android software package incl. full WiFi-remote control for all of their Wi-Fi enabled cameras incl. the M10 until mid of the year (2018) and that they already started this project.

I will wait and see whether they stick to their promise and delay my decision until further as it would be a quite heavy investment anyway....


PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Thanks for posting. Nice review.

The M9 is already deleted from my wishlist. I'm sure that the M10 is the better choice.
As much as the M10 is a beast of a camera, realistically, I will not pay its (current) price for what is basically a toy for me Neutral There's no point in a camera if it (financially) prevents me for a while from going to places to take pictures Smile Currently looking around at M9/M240 and the respective MM versions. One good thing, there's no rush, as I don't actually need one Smile

tb_a wrote:
Surprisingly they promised me in writing to provide the overall better Android software package incl. full WiFi-remote control for all of their Wi-Fi enabled cameras incl. the M10 until mid of the year (2018) and that they already started this project. .
This is maybe not completely surprising. It happens more and more that camera's are released with a firmware that is not yet completely worked out.


PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
There's no point in a camera if it (financially) prevents me for a while from going to places to take pictures Smile Currently looking around at M9/M240 and the respective MM versions. One good thing, there's no rush, as I don't actually need one Smile


Well, I'm not in a rush as well and I'm sure that the prices for the M10 will come down as well. I'm not prepared to pay the full list price for a camera which I don't really need as well. For me it's actually a toy, nothing else. If I wouldn't have already a rather large collection of LTM/M-mount lenses I wouldn't bother at all. Wink

Sjak wrote:
This is maybe not completely surprising. It happens more and more that camera's are released with a firmware that is not yet completely worked out.


For me that is nevertheless a deciding factor. If there is such a functionality I would like to use it with my present smartphone as well. That's a matter of principle. The camera firmware is already implemented. The still missing part is the .apk for Android or maybe an application for Windows 10 (I didn't ask for Windows hence I have no idea about their plans).


PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

For me that is nevertheless a deciding factor. If there is such a functionality I would like to use it with my present smartphone as well. That's a matter of principle. The camera firmware is already implemented. The still missing part is the .apk for Android or maybe an application for Windows 10 (I didn't ask for Windows hence I have no idea about their plans).
Of course it can be decisive. At this price point, it is absolutely normal that you are strict about the features a camera should feature.

I hope you will find your M10 in the near future.


PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing off the M10 because there isn't an Android app? Really??

They're a small company and likely cannot do everything at once to please everyone. Having an iPhone or iPad app has a bit more caché than Android, no offense intended. Android may be more popular in sheer numbers, and tops in El Salvador, Senegal, Myanmar or Moldavia; not top Leica markets. Let's be honest; Leica is as much bling as tech and Androids just ain't very blingy.


PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james wrote:
Writing off the M10 because there isn't an Android app? Really??

They're a small company and likely cannot do everything at once to please everyone. Having an iPhone or iPad app has a bit more caché than Android, no offense intended. Android may be more popular in sheer numbers, and tops in El Salvador, Senegal, Myanmar or Moldavia; not top Leica markets. Let's be honest; Leica is as much bling as tech and Androids just ain't very blingy.


Obviously you didn't read my first post in this thread. Otherwise you wouldn't ask.

For me functionality comes first and I don't buy only blingy products which aren't serving my needs.
I would never even think on a Leica if I wouldn't own many RF lenses already. Unfortunately there is no other choice to use such lenses on a FF digital camera other than Leica. Sony's A7 cameras aren't really compatible due to the thick sensor stack issue. I have to wait and see anyway. Nothing is written in stone yet. Wink


PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
james wrote:
Writing off the M10 because there isn't an Android app? Really??

They're a small company and likely cannot do everything at once to please everyone. Having an iPhone or iPad app has a bit more caché than Android, no offense intended. Android may be more popular in sheer numbers, and tops in El Salvador, Senegal, Myanmar or Moldavia; not top Leica markets. Let's be honest; Leica is as much bling as tech and Androids just ain't very blingy.


Obviously you didn't read my first post in this thread. Otherwise you wouldn't ask.

For me functionality comes first and I don't buy only blingy products which aren't serving my needs.
I would never even think on a Leica if I wouldn't own many RF lenses already. Unfortunately there is no other choice to use such lenses on a FF digital camera other than Leica. Sony's A7 cameras aren't really compatible due to the thick sensor stack issue. I have to wait and see anyway. Nothing is written in stone yet. Wink


I read it and just now, re-read your post to make sure I didn't misconstrue it. I stand by what I wrote. You'reery adamant against Apple and that's fine. I'm sure they'll fulfill your Android dreams soon enough.