Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

leica elmarit-R 90mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: leica elmarit-R 90mm Reply with quote

Hi, I have recently received the latest version of this lens and it has some dust inside, including one couple mm long piece. I am not worried about it overly but wanted to know how easy it would be to clean it? Regards Ed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With special tools (spanner wrench at least) not hard , pretty easy, but if this lens have glued elements and alien is in those lens block no chance to take it out at home.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! it seems that no one has tried opening one yet. I can not find any references on google yet. I am afraid to damage it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So answer is simple don't do it, enjoy instead.. one of the first mistake what people do , clean , open a lens for no reason. Until not effect image quality and not effect usability don't do anything this is my rule.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to Atilla and don't do it.
I have repaired a few Zeiss lenses and other japanese brands but I woudn't touch a Leica.
Actually, I know nobody here or on other few forums that repaired a Leica.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Leicas really so complicated or just expensive? I will leave it alone until I have enough experience if ever. I would love to learn to do lens modifications. My FD 85 should arrive soon. first I will experiment on cheaper lenses, of course Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar wrote:
Are Leicas really so complicated or just expensive? I will leave it alone until I have enough experience if ever. I would love to learn to do lens modifications. My FD 85 should arrive soon. first I will experiment on cheaper lenses, of course Smile

In my experience older lenses Russians, East-Germans are easy, no problem, but I also never open them just because I see something and I won't see it there. Good reason to open a lens only lot's of haze or lot's of fungus both are effect picture quality. Modern lenses are different many of them has glued elements and even if you open it you can't take dust , fungus out from elements at least this is my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Edgar wrote:

In my experience older lenses Russians, East-Germans are easy, no problem, but I also never open them just because I see something and I won't see it there. Good reaspon to open a lens only lot's of haze or lot's of fungus both are effect picture quality. Modern lenses are different many of them has glued elements and even if you open it you can't take dust , fungus out from elements at least this is my experience.

No truer words have been spoken.

I'm far from an expert but sometimes stupidity takes you further than genius - all my Leica surgeries landed the lens at the repair shop. I usually get a beat up old lens to take it apart so it wasn't a big tragedy but as Attila said, there are glued elements and without proper tools, you'd do more damage than good.

Nevermind the inconsequential dust, just shoot!

That is a nice lens you have there Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the late elmarit 90 is very nice! I just wish Leica had made them slightly more sealed. there seem to be a lot of "gaps" for the dust to get in. my Contax lenses have less dust in them (I do not mean dust bunnies here, just some tiny bits here and there - still they pile up over time).