Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Apo-Telyt-R 1:5.6/800mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Leica Apo-Telyt-R 1:5.6/800mm Reply with quote

This is my longest focal length regular telephoto lens.

This is part of a modular system consisting of two front elements and 3 end elements, these elements can assemble into 6 combinations of focal lengths and maximum aperture.

I mainly use this lens for nature shooting...

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Not only the most amazing rangefinder collection! It goes on!!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lothar Koelsch, the successor of Walter Mandler that lead Leica optical design team, filed for US patent 5,388,006 on 22 Feb 1994.

It is where the Apo-Telyt-R 1:5.6/800 come from. Basically, it is a convertible design with a fixed front group and two or more variable groups at the end for focusing.

It differs from teleconvertors/extenders that teleconverters/extenders only optimize in one focal length and all other focal lengths are just compromise while this design is optimised for each individual focal length and thence better image quality.

As the lens achieved APO specification and there is no need to refocus for IR photography

The original structure of the lenses in filed document...

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The design not only having very good image quality but also have wide tolerance for fabrication.

The acceptable tolerance for fabrication are:

Radii of lens surface, lens thickness and air separation - +/- 10%
Refractive index - +/- 0.05
Abbe number - +/- 5

The parameters for fabrication of the Apo-Telyt-R 1:5.6/800 lenses are shown in the diagram from the patent.

The first column is the surface identifier in the previous diagram, the second column is the radii of surface, the third column is thickness of lens or airspace, the fourth column is Abbe number of glass used, and the fifth column is refractive index of glass used.

These are the "degrees of freedom" that Koelsch's team used to fight with aberration and managed to build such a remarkable lens.

Last edited by amoebahydra on Thu May 14, 2009 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fascinating! thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Not only the most amazing rangefinder collection! It goes on!!

One could buy a small house and a minivan with your collection. But would it be worth it ..

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

One could buy a small house and a minivan with your collection. But would it be worth it ..

if you don't have another roof on your head, yes! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, then all cameras get wet when rains. If you just sold 1/3 of them and live in the minivan with your rf collection .. Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Yes, then all cameras get wet when rains. If you just sold 1/3 of them and live in the minivan with your rf collection .. Smile

I got a Mercedes SUV already and it is for transporting my heavy astronomical photographic equipment to rural area. Actually, I got sudden rain pour at night and I have no time to retreat, I then stayed in the SUV and let heavy rain pouring on to the polyester bag covered astronomical equipment.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say see wow! Any photos to share taken with this giant?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
All I can say see wow! Any photos to share taken with this giant?

Taken with Apo-Telyt-R 1:5.6/800 at F8 and 1/125 sec...

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Beautiful all around!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The detail of the feather. Razz Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by my_photography on Mon May 18, 2009 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes... this is a spectacular result!!

tf

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's entirely "Leica-esque"! WOW!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked WOW !

I am speechless at the huge size of the lens and also the amazing quality of the image it produced ! I am blown away !

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely piece of kit. Mr. Green Mr. Green

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive bird photo.