Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Advice Sought LEICA 90MM F/2.8 ELMARIT
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Leica Advice Sought LEICA 90MM F/2.8 ELMARIT Reply with quote

I'm considering a LEICA 90MM F/2.8 ELMARIT to be used on a Canon 60D (and eventually full frame 6d).

Best version? I'm confused by the 1 CAM, 2 CAM, 3 CAM designations as well. Greatly appreciate advice for Leica lovers.

I'll be using it for portraits and may try a bit of macro- just for fun.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're considering the Elmarit-R - the Elmarits in M fitting won't go on a DSLR (which I expect you already know). The various 'cam' descriptions on the R models refer to the lightmeter coupling arrangements on the Leica SLR cameras and don't have any significance for use on digital models. But there are two different versions and all the 1- and 2-cam models are the first design. I used to have one and it's very, very good. The later, shorter and lighter version has the reputation of being the "best 2.8/90mm ever in the Leica history", at least according to Erwin Puts (Leica Compendium, p.548). I've never used that one, but if he speaks the truth it must be a very fine lens indeed.

The first version has 5 elements and weighs about 575 grams, the later one has 4 and weighs about 450 grams. According to Puts the second model is as good at 70cms as at infinity. My first version left nothing to be desired close in, so once again the later one must be quite something. If you look at the MTF curves in his book there's really hardly anything between them when stopped down a bit.

If you do some Googling you'll find plenty of illustrations to let you see how each version looks. The later one usually sells for a lot more than the other. Being a noted skinflint, I'd buy the early one Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the very useful information, scsambrook! Much appreciated.

I do believe that this lens and I will be well suited. Think I will go for the earlier version as I am a bit of a scinflint myself.
Off to google, I go. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to go with the "best 2.8/90mm ever in the Leica history"!
Arrives Sat., or Monday!

Now if I could only find a deal on the ELPRO!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brave decision ! If you look carefully on eBay you can sometimes find Elpros quite cheaply. I think your lens will take regular screw-in accessories, not the Series 7 ones the first 90/2.8 used. And you often see the 'short' extension tubes at low prices as well.

Don't forget to post some pics of the lens and some shots taken with it - !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks scsambrook! I'm not getting any younger so I'd better go for it while I can!

My serial number falls in this range nearer the larger number.:
Serial numbers: 3344201 - 3346200 90mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R (ELC.2-cam) 1984 2000 made.

It was advertised as 3-cam.

Are elpro's considered to be as good as an extension tube?

Anyway, it should arrive tomorrow and I'll post pics- soon!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELPRO's are achromats, so very well working diopter lenses, at a Leica price tag of course.
I prefer to use extension tubes, but there is quite some light loss then, not so when using diopters.

Congrats to your new lens Mark!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Elmarit-R 90mm f2.8 first and second version, first was worst than most 90mm lenses what I did try. Soft , low contrast.
Second version was good as Kaleinar 100 or Pentacon 100. I had M version also , all same Smile Didn't earn my respect any of them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atilla, I hope this will be a good one, as it's reputed to be the best 90 Leica. If not, I'm sure it will hold it's resale value.
Razz

Klaus, thanks! Very good to know.
Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Laughing

I did like 60mm Macro Elmarit and 100mm f4 macro lens head, I still have 100mm f4 lens head I use it rarely , but I like it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the lens and it's pristine! Here's a quick sample, wide open:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks nice . . . let's see some more!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
scsambrook wrote:

+1

Samples here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1418145.html#1418145