Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica 35/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, who said that the old version cannot produce great pictures?
Whoever said that, he has probably never used one.

Stunning shots!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own the first version of this lens in nearly mint condition optically it`s good but the second version is much better especially wide open.
It`s sensitive to flare but the snap on hood solves this problem.
Mechanically this lens is great and a pleasure to focus.

Timo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timo832000 wrote:
I also own the first version of this lens in nearly mint condition optically it`s good but the second version is much better especially wide open.

Timo

+1

The E55 Version ist far better wide open, especially on FF cams.
The improvement is really fantastic. With the old one you have to stop down the lens for 2 f-stops.. for maximum performance wide open..

With the E55 Version you need only 1 f-stop for that and have a far better performance..

Follow this link (right clicking on the link) and open in a new browser Tab to see in high resolution, who the E55 Version performes wide open at f/2.8 EOS 5D.. wandering around in the image by click in the image again..

http://dunkelnetz.de/images/objektivtests/elmarit_2.8_35mm/postkartenstaender.JPG

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 4/3 cam the differences will not be as visible as you say. Not even on an APS crop cam.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This new version (E55) is another striking evidence for primes with a modest max. aperture often being superior in terms of sharpness and overall image quality. I have already observed this with many Nikkors.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
OK, who said that the old version cannot produce great pictures?
Whoever said that, he has probably never used one.

Stunning shots!

+2 Carsten! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:
timo832000 wrote:

Timo

+1

The improvement is really fantastic. With the old one you have to stop down the lens for 2 f-stops.. for maximum performance wide open..

With the E55 Version you need only 1 f-stop for that and have a far better performance..

Follow this link (right clicking on the link) and open in a new browser Tab to see in high resolution, who the E55 Version performes wide open at f/2.8 EOS 5D.. wandering around in the image by click in the image again..

http://dunkelnetz.de/images/objektivtests/elmarit_2.8_35mm/postkartenstaender.JPG

Cheers
Henry

Henry, the EXIF noted the lens as 50/2 (not 35/2.Cool set at f/2 in Canon 5D - is it just the adapter?

But the lens resolution is stunning! (I'm looking at the postcard 100% magnification)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yadisl wrote:
hinnerker wrote:
timo832000 wrote:

Timo

+1

Cheers
Henry

Henry, the EXIF noted the lens as 50/2 (not 35/2.Cool set at f/2 in Canon 5D - is it just the adapter?

But the lens resolution is stunning! (I'm looking at the postcard 100% magnification)

Hi,

Quote:

Yes the adapter is one of the non programmable types.. it reports the 2.0/50mm to the exifs.. but the shot was taken with the
Leica Elmarit 2.8/35mm, wide open !!!

This shows, how fantastic the newer formula works.. this one is my fav 35mm.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who are interested to see more samples of the second version in high resolution..
Choose picture.. click in the picture for high res.. use the back button of your browser to come back to the album thumbs.. test pics for barrel distortion and so on..

choose.. then always click to enlarge, twice to fit in window.. browser back button ..back to album.

http://dunkelnetz.de/?level=album&id=26

cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens seems to have minimum distortion - stitched easily without any distortion correction.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Fantastic b&w shot!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yadisl wrote:
This lens seems to have minimum distortion - stitched easily without any distortion correction.

You can see it better in that way..

Open the E55 Version and also the old lens has barrel distortion.. looks like this..

EOS 5D, Elmarit 2.8/35mm II (E55) @2.8

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry: Yes, I agree, the barrel distortion is quite pronounced in that FF brick shot. But, I guess it doesn't show that much distortion in 4/3 (although the it still may have other kind of problems. I'm still happy with the lens overall performance. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yadisl wrote:
I'm still happy with the lens overall performance. Very Happy

It would be surprising if you weren't. Wink
I was as well. The only reason why I sold it was the Summicron 2/35, which is not necessarily better, just faster.
And since I am an AL shooter, I need speed. Laughing
(Hey, don't tell me there are 1.4/35 lenses. I cannot afford them. Wink )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another sample taken today

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing with some strawberries ..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have fallen in love at first sight of your first image.
I am cleaning my Flek 35/2.4 and I will see if it approaches this wonderful performance.. Very Happy
Congrats

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking RED

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
I am cleaning my Flek 35/2.4 and I will see if it approaches this wonderful performance.. Very Happy
Congrats

It will.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To warm up this thread, some shots with the 3-cam E55 Version, the successor of the Leica 2.8/35mm (Leicaflex Era) in natural light conditions and on the shortest possible distance (0.26m), taken with the Canon EOS 5D MKII.. Serial# near 3.000.000

Everything has to go fast on this shooting.. Very Happy

First the complete image to show the shooting distance.. and the crop out of it.. Shocked

Crop

complete..

crop..

complete

crop...

seemed this guy wants to hypnotise and assimilate me and the Leica Lens to beeing a "cyborg" in the future Smile

Keep in mind... this is not a macro lens ! This is the next version/generation of the lens.. not the old Leicaflex formula.

No PP, @f3.5.. to see in the viewfinder, what this guy was doing..
not using the focus ring.. only oscillating on the point of sharpness.

Cheers
Henry

Last edited by hinnerker on Sat May 29, 2010 7:40 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! that's a cute guy

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crop is great. Almost unbelievable. Shocked

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:
The crop is great. Almost unbelievable. Shocked

Yes, the newer version of the lens is the best of the f2.8/35mm lenses i have seen in this class. Razor sharp from edge to edge.. maximum IQ one f-stop behind and with a lovely bokeh.

Not in this particular situation.. but in general.

In this situation the lens was on the cam.. it has to go fast.

This lens (i did own both versions, the old Leicaflex formula and the newer one and also the Summicron 2/35 in E55 Version).. this is the best of this lenses in my eyes.

Cheers
Henry