Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Legacy ~20mm for A7rii
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
The Konica 21/4 is one I go to quite often.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/konicahexanon214/

Thanks, and that sundown car glamour shot shows that sometimes flare can be add some flair to a shot : )
The hood with its rectangular slot looks pretty cool and I suppose it's somewhat effective at least, though?

sjak wrote:
This may be of interest to you:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4405676

Sjak, thanks, that was an interesting read. From those tests I quite liked the FD and the ML ..but I don't like the FD aperture ring and the ML is dear.

tb_a wrote:
Spokklocka, as promised I've compared both the Minolta AF 20/2.8 and the Voigtlaender Color-Skopar 21/4 LTM on my A7R II.

Pictures show both lenses at F4. Shot RAW and converted/downsized without further manipulation in LR6. Pictures are clickable for best quality viewing.

Minolta:

Cheers! I've decided to try to print / make wall hangings out of more shots and the other thing I like are wide shots shown rather large on Flickr so the Mino AF 20 2,8 looks pretty good at f/4! I don't like the Voigt sides so much. The slighty warmer color works on this scene though and as you say - for many applications slightly weak sides aren't all that important.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spokklocka wrote:

Cheers! I've decided to try to print / make wall hangings out of more shots and the other thing I like are wide shots shown rather large on Flickr so the Mino AF 20 2,8 looks pretty good at f/4! I don't like the Voigt sides so much. The slighty warmer color works on this scene though and as you say - for many applications slightly weak sides aren't all that important.

Well, the Minolta lens would be also my recommendation as it's slightly wider as well and if you really need very sharp corners you may use it at F11.
Should be available for something like EUR 200.-. Most probably there is no better alternative for that budget.
The only downside is the required expensive adapter for the correct usage of the aperture. I'm using it with the LA-EA4, but I have many other Minolta AF lenses as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in case of UWA sharpness is secondary to flare resistance.
Having sharp corners is great, obviously, but I'm not sure anyone would care about that when the center is completely washed out with flare.

Ignoring focal length for a moment, Canon FDn 24/2.8 is undoubtedly much sharper lens than Nikkor 20/4.
Yet the latter is significantly more competent lanscape glass due to huge advantage in flare control.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta AF 20 2,8 looks rather good. I already have the LA-EA4. Am not a fan of the slight shutter delay it introduces but for landscape that doesn't matter at all.

True about flare. It can be artistic but it can also be a hopeless nuisance if you happen to like to include bits of the sun in the frame.

We'll see if I take this step and try something cheaper of if I go for the more expensive option at once. That depends on what my ebay saved search email notifications do, mostly.