Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lechner Wien with mayer gorlitz 105mm f 4,5-22
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Lechner Wien with mayer gorlitz 105mm f 4,5-22 Reply with quote

Does anyone know anything about this camera?

I made only these two photos. Otherwise the camera itself is a big wooden (folding) box...... I couldn't find any camera that looks the same on the net.....

Any idea? I thing it should be from the beginning of 1900....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can give me more photos I will ask my friend to identify, only front not enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens is a normal standard Meyer Trioplan in Compur shutter, certainly made after 1929 and before 1939, and could have been mounted on the camera at any time.

These lenses and shutters were used on hundreds of cameras. A 10.5cm Trioplan would normally have been used on a 6.5x9cm plate camera or a 6x9cm roll film camera, so I guess this one was probably installed later and used with a roll film back, probably. It could even have been removed from a folding camera, such as an Ihagee or Welta, and remounted on this one.

As Attila says, the camera itself is what we need to look at.

Consider this also - the label on the camera was often not the makers but the camera dealer and sometimes even the photo studio.
It was normal for camera stores even in those days to put their own names on cameras, and even brass plaques.

Also wooden cameras like this were made until very recently, so the camera could easily be from much later than you think.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, looking more closely it seems that this lens is a front-cell focusing type, because it has the range markings.

Many Trioplans were of this type because it was a triplet. These were very common on folding roll film cameras.

So this was indeed taken from a folding roll film camera and is certainly not original for this one. I also notice what looks like part of the metal front standard for a folding camera made into part of the lens board. I don't know why someone would do this, but so be it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems Lechner was a camera maker in Vienna (Wien), so the brass plaque is certainly from the manufacturer.
It seems like Lechner was making cameras at least until 1918 as there is a Lechner aerial camera listed on an auction site.
They could have been in business afterwards but on a short search I couldn't find anything later.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lechner company closed in 1938.

So....it is still possible that the lens was originally installed on the body.

I'll try to get some more pics....

I found this camera on a local antiques fair this sathurday but did not buy it as it was unknown to me.......
But it looks like it has an interesting history. I'll contact the seller. Yes, I've got his buisiness card Very Happy

http://www.photohistory.at/lechner.htm (try with google translete or even better if there is someone speaking german).

PS

My modest collection of vintage cameras
http://tomicko.slo-istra.net/blog/blog/moja-vintage-zbirka-fotoaparatov/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most unlikely that on this style of camera one would supply a front cell focus triplet.

The reason one would have such a lens is if the camera has a fixed front standard with no other focus mechanism.
This is typical of simple box cameras and simple folders. These were mass market cameras.

On the types of camera this seems to be thats not the case, there are focusing tracks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get some extra pictures. Phone quality....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the lens is/was not originally installed on the camera, any Idea what would be the value of the above mentioned camera???

Probably not a lot?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brass place indicates also the adress : Graben 31.
Am Graben is in the first district of Vienna ( erster Bezirk). The most expensive and exclusive street in Vienna.
You have a very nice piece .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I do. Too bad for the probably later installed lens. Well,...I got it for 50€ and I really wander what is a real value of that?!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this was the original "look" of the camera.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this should be the lens originally installed.

On ebay are sold for ca. 300usd Very Happy

Well if I had the original lens the value of my camera would be "high".