Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Last Century lens ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Last Century lens ? Reply with quote

Asking about this lens, Okoli Gasellschaft, Google directed me to the MF lens data base. Further search brought me to E-bay. A very little description told me that this lens was made around 1920's !? Another search even said this was a 1880's production !!??
I tried to adapt this old lens to my 5D. (I wish I'm not on the wrong section). Anyone here have more info about this lens ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Sample shot Reply with quote

[img][/img]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the swirls. Petzval of some sort, perhaps?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice find! It is "Gesellschaft" btw. (meaning "company" in that context. Could be Austrian or German.

Ad from 1938

So it is German obviously, city Stadtilm in Thuringia. Found this text from an old camera:
"Okoli-Gesellschaft, Stadtilm (Thuringia), Rudolf Roemer & Co., manufacturer of professional enlargers, reproduction cameras and lenses. Plate size 18 x 18 cm (incl. mask 4 x 6 cm = 4 times 4 x 6 cm), revolving back, focusing screen back and one wooden double cassette, lens: Okolinar 4,5/16,5 cm Serie T. – Rare special camera by a small-scale maker!" (Auction Team Breker)

Also see here: http://www.kameramuseum.de/labor/vergroesserer/okoli/grossformat.html

Last edited by kds315* on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:34 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okoli-Gesellschaft was a German producer in Thüringen (Stadt Ilm) mainly of Enlargers. So it may be a enlarging lens.
Date of production approx. 100 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:11 am    Post subject: Rubber Flubber,Kds & tb, Reply with quote

Thank's for replying. Although not an antique collector, I'm very happy to this finding, especially when I could adapt it to a modern camera body. [/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: another shot Reply with quote

[img]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: more sample shots Reply with quote

[img]
[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW these two are awesome,great find.. Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, looks like you are learning how to use it nicely.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
WOW these two are awesome,great find.. Like 1

Thank you kryss. Yes, I'm very proud to find and use this old lens that at first I thought just a junk on the corner of an antique shop.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:

Thank you uddhava. You're right. Until the last photo you see here, the lens is still have no aperture blade. Recently I add one, from an unused Hannimar 135mm body. I just dismantle all the optics, add few centimeters PVC and glue a 52mm ring as the base of this Okoli. Can't wait to test this new adaptation this week end.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bang2 wrote:
uddhava wrote:

Thank you uddhava. You're right. Until the last photo you see here, the lens is still have no aperture blade. Recently I add one, from an unused Hannimar 135mm body. I just dismantle all the optics, add few centimeters PVC and glue a 52mm ring as the base of this Okoli. Can't wait to test this new adaptation this week end.

It will be interesting to see the results.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I also got such a lens. It is an Okolinar 1: 4.5 f = 16.5cm
I made an adapter using a 3D printer and connected the lens with rings, a helicoid and an M42-PK adapter to a Pentax K30.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j6oPQU]
Okolinar at Pentax K30[/url] by Bernd Hutschenreuther, auf Flickr

Aplanat, Petzval or Periskop?

I opened the lens for cleaning, it has one lens group in the front and one in the back part, arranged symmetrically. I can not see how many lenses there really are, but I suppose there are four lenses in two groups with two lenses each.

Then it would be a kind of aplanat. It seems to me to be too short for a Petzval. It is also possible that it is only one lens at at the front and one at the back side, I have not opened the lens groups. Then it would be a periscope.

An interesting part.

A glass fungus with a diameter of approx. 2 mm seemed to sit inside. It turned out to be a slight surface damage, very flat and fungus-shaped, like scratches. Nothing can be seen in the picture.
It was definitely no fungus.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j6mpoP]
roof, with Okolinar 4,5/165[/url] by Bernd Hutschenreuther, auf Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j6qvj2]
Houseleek[/url] by Bernd Hutschenreuther, auf Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j6qAXw]

peony[/url] by Bernd Hutschenreuther, auf Flickr
contrast and color enlarged

Päonie by Bernd Hutschenreuther, auf Flickr
OOC

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j6p18h]
Part of a passion flower plant[/url] by Bernd Hutschenreuther, auf Flickr
OOC

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many of these old lenses without coatings the contrast is, to put it politely "somewhat lacking" But nice colors and plenty sharp. A hood would probably help. I am amazed at how well the lenses enamel bezel has held up. That looks brand new. I just love these ol things. I have an unnamed brass lens from this era that is a 4 element "dialyte" that renders very similarly.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Like many of these old lenses without coatings the contrast is, to put it politely "somewhat lacking" But nice colors and plenty sharp. A hood would probably help. I am amazed at how well the lenses enamel bezel has held up. That looks brand new. I just love these ol things. I have an unnamed brass lens from this era that is a 4 element "dialyte" that renders very similarly.

Sice when is lacking contrast an issue? The easiest to correct in PP... Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say it was an issue, but if it weren't why would the lens designers have developed T* coatings? Wink It gives these old lenses a special feel IMHO.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I didn't say it was an issue, but if it weren't why would the lens designers have developed T* coatings? Wink It gives these old lenses a special feel IMHO.

That lens probably was intended for a negative film format of more than 4x5 inch. Light going through it at a viewing angle + quantity meant for that format. Use an appropriate lens hood for the DSLR frame and also make sure less reflections in the adapter happen. It isn't coated but there is enough to gain with propper measures. Original contrast is still better than Image edited contrast.