Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Landscapes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Landscapes Reply with quote

I'd like to start this thread especially for landscapes. Perhaps everyone could post their favourite shot with a brief description of where and when. If you can give a Google Earth location it would be GREAT!

OK, this is currently my favourite landscape picture, which I took in August last year. I won't tell you what camera, it's before I bought my 400D. It's taken on the "island" of Portland on the south coast of England, looking approximately north west. At least, it used to be an island. Many thousands of years ago the sea created a beach of pebbles stretching about 18 miles (29km) to the west, which joined the island to the mainland and created several salt water lagoons behind it. The sea area on the right hand side is Weymouth Bay, which is to be the base for the sailing competition in the 2012 Olympics.

Google Earth location: 50.5643276423, -2.44345054077

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea, Peter! And a nice shot of a beautiful landscape!

I will check my photos and see if I have got a suitable one...

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, absolutely great shot! I don't have anything even close to this, but
thanks for sharing! Smile

Bill

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to submit this one which I took in Sirmione last March, Flektogon 4/20 on 5D:

I don't have a google address but you can find it easily, just look on a map of North Italy for "Lago di Garda" you will find Sirmione easily.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lot, now,
These are almost seascapes! Landlocked ol' Bill can't compete with this! Laughing

I could dig up some overseas pics and scan them, but they still don't
look like these!

Nice one, Orio! Yours might be a lake picture, not a seascape, still isn't
fair! Smile

Bill

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paleocastrica, Corfu, Greece

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mount Teide Volcano,Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is mine.

Certainly not the greatest shot ever, but this picture has a story behind it that meant a lot to me.

It was taken at 3400m in the Aladaglar mountains in Turkey. Me and the people I was travelling with hiked all the way up to the summit at 3723m.
Now I am not a very energetic person, and I rarely do any sport. So basicly my physical condition is crap.
Surprisingly though, the walk from 2000m (where the basecamp was, and where we slept) up to 3400m (which we did in the same day, and back), went fairly easy, right up till the point where the photo was taken.

At about 3300m we took a break to eat our lunch. We sat down for about an hour.
I don't know what happened, but somehow that must have broken my rhythm.

I remember I got up after lunch, took my backpack and was ready to walk to the summit. And then it hit me.
Suddenly I was overwhelmed by a sudden fatigue, followed by headaches and dizzyness.
By the time I reached the spot where I took this photo, I was completely exhausted, my head felt like it was going to explode and I had fallen behind on the rest of the group. Accute High Altitude Sickness...due to the lower oxigen level, and the fact that we already had climbed over 1000m in one day...
I tried to keep up with the group, but they got further ahead every second.

Well, at that moment I stood still for a while. Took out my camera and took the photo. I looked around me and that's the moment I decided: "I can't give up, I'm too close. The summit is right there!"
I can honestly say that it was one of the hardest things I've ever pulled myself trough, and although that may sound like exagerration, I'm extremely proud that I didn't give up.

It took about 45 minutes to get to the top, at a very slow tempo, due to the sickness, but I eventually made it. After sitting on the top and admiring the view for a while, we signed the logbook and started our descent.

For a while every step was still a bang in my head, but once we passed the 3000m barrier and I took an aspirine, the sickness went away and by the time we got back to basecamp (2000m) I was healthy again Smile
Even more: my physical condition had never been better!

So really, if you ever have the oppurtunity to hike to the top of a mountain like that (with an experienced guide of course), it is more than worth it. Both mentally and physically.

for more pictures from this "adventure": click here: http://tdn9.be/series.php?seriesid=1&postid=41

I hope I didnt bore you too much with the whole story for 1 pic, I must sound like an old man :p

Tom

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In high mountains what happened with you I guess normal. My trip was much easier on Mount Teide I did with car Smile .I was on foot in Slovakia in high mountains around 2500m , it was great challenge.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wast water loooking up to Scarfell inthe centre Englands highest mountain and deepest lake.
click here for flash earth link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wast_Water
Tamron sp 90

sorry not MF, sigma 17-70 with tobacco grad on top and grey grad on bottom

sigma again

Last edited by hacksawbob on Mon May 14, 2007 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the last one, Bob. The lake seems like a pure mirror, everything is clear.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not only AF that one but I had it on landscape mode Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
not only AF that one but I had it on landscape mode Embarassed

It's always the result that counts.
The exposure here is perfect.
The only little thing that could be bettered is that perhaps the horizon very slightly tilts towards the right.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who care AF or MF important is the result.You made great shoots, next time if you have a chance to visit there please try you favourite MF lenses too and share your experience with us.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the tamron 90 and the pentacon 135 but the results were very poor, lacking contrast and exposures were not right even after braketing I will open a separate thread with them and maybe you can advise...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice summery weather here in UK at last. This is Swanage, a seaside town in the county of Dorset on the south coast of England.
Google Earth location: 50°36'33.39"N, 1°56'58.26"W
I only had the Canon Ixus 60 P&S with me, but it takes a nice picture.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice captures ! Good to see you have this nice sunny weather, we have cloudy and some times rainy days , this is quite strange in August.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borobudur - world's largest Buddhist monument. I really wish I had had the 5d for this Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time please bring a film camera with your self and you will have an 5D Smile Great picture!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, those are great shots, that Ixus did you proud!

Simon, it's a superb shot, nonetheless!

Thanks guys, for sharing these! Cool

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkennedy3000 wrote:
Borobudur - world's largest Buddhist monument. I really wish I had had the 5d for this Smile]

Well, 5D or not, this is a fantastic picture Simon, thankyou for adding to the thread. I'm beginning to think I'm a landscape freak! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked it guys!!!

Here is one from Nepal:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.. Nepal and pagoda (I think Borobudur is pagoda) just superb...

and I should stop coming to this thread.. Evil or Very Mad I live in so boring land... Embarassed just so typical US city ... MickyDs and sports franchise shops... world starts with burger and ends at bud (although I luv the later part).

But, I dont wanna mis the great pics.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little nine-year old niece shot these using my Minolta DiMage 7i for a school project:

Largo Law

Looking south

Some more 7i images:

She let me have a go too..... Laughing

Forth Bridge

Outer Hebrides from Skye

Looking back towards the mainland from Armadale, Skye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ! What a landscapes! Can you seek in Google map the coordinates and put here ? It would be a big help for people who want to visit these places.