Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Landscape photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Landscape photography Reply with quote

Today we went to a nice castle park I tried to make some good landscape shoot... no success Sad So I need to practice and practice...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This very topic was on my mind yesterday and today.

I browsed a used book store yesterday, and the book that most impressed me was one on landscape photography. The book is from film days and was all about techniques. I don't recall the name or authors now, and the wife agitated for us to leave so I didn't buy it either.

But what was in the book impressed on me yet again what the complete craft of photography entails. The book had a little bit on equipment, more on composition and exposure, but most of it had to do with darkroom manipulations - dodging, burning, cropping, selective blurring, toning and the washing out of unwanted detail.

It was interesting: they showed the un-retouched straight prints first, and on the facing page the fully manipulated result. Night and day!

Granted, sites like mflenses are about lenses and thus unvarnished photos are required. But we ought to keep in mind that from the start of photography great equipment was only a step towards the artistry of the final image.

Anyway, these are my thoughts about landscapes... I've seen it in my attempts recently, where in order to take the photo up a level I've had to do some post processing work.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so, no great landscape photo without post processions.
Is anybody can share his experience here ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you once posted some fantastic landscapes Atilla. Canary Islands was it?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, subject was fine. So I couldn't make big mistakes. I would like to make nice landscape photos from less exciting subjects like my homeland.
I would like to make well (over) saturated images with blue sky very green forests etc. Today sky was blue, park was nice green and my pictures was crap Sad I made shoots to cheap DM film with Olympus Om 18mm f3.5 I expect better result than my Olympus E-1 and E-300.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

I would like to make well (over) saturated images with blue sky very green forests etc.

Use Velvia.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you! Any other trick ? Filters ? Photoshop ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you care about the quality output of your glasses (and I know you do), use as less filters as possible.

In my experience, polarizers improve cheap lenses, but not great lenses.
I tried to mount polarizer on my Contax lenses and it was way too much - the T* coating alone was enough for me.
ON the contrary, on a cheap lens polarizer can improve.

But as a general rule the less glass you put in front of your front lens, the better.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I never use filters on my lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... if you have a spare 100 Euros, get yourself a MIR-20M
The saturation of that lens is incredible. It will take you closer to the type of landscape that you described.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one locally:)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I saw one locally:)

Make sure that it comes with the rear filters, especially important is the UV (blank) filter, because without filter, you might have problems with focusing distances

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
But what was in the book impressed on me yet again what the complete craft of photography entails. The book had a little bit on equipment, more on composition and exposure, but most of it had to do with darkroom manipulations - dodging, burning, cropping, selective blurring, toning and the washing out of unwanted detail.

It was interesting: they showed the un-retouched straight prints first, and on the facing page the fully manipulated result. Night and day!

Dedicated (with love) to the photoshop haters Laughing Razz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a more serious tone Attila I found out that Flickr really has some great lanscape shooters whom you can look upon to "steal" some compositional tricks.

Then there are the real problems like the high humidity and permanent haze of my region during summer that makes landscape shooting a futile exercise. Of course the rare clear windy days were always been when I was at work (grrrrrrrrr)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:

Then there are the real problems like the high humidity and permanent haze of my region during summer that makes landscape shooting a futile exercise. Of course the rare clear windy days were always been when I was at work (grrrrrrrrr)

Smile same here

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:

Then there are the real problems like the high humidity and permanent haze of my region during summer that makes landscape shooting a futile exercise.

Use the almighty Photoshop Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the process is more about the seeing, and breaking out of habits, recognizing your strengths and using them. I dont think my favorite naturephotographers use that much afterprocessing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:

Youre kidding? Clear days ar the worst nightmare for landscapes in my opinion! I pray for fog.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the best ones

Nikkor 35mm f1.4 AIS F5.6

#1 before post process

#2 after post process

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, I see I misunderstood about processing - this is what I normally do with my raw. Adjust contrast, scale (possibly rop) , sharpen, add my signature.

But to take a good landscape in the middle of a clear sunny day is almost impossible, dont you think? It's so harsh light.

I'm participating in a contest in sweden where you take one shot a day for a week. I do most photos at dawn and sundown! It was a haaard week. But the contest is going good though, and I'm really proud of the result. I can show you when the votings over next saturday.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps at early morning lights are better to take pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the white balanced that leans to yellow makes the picture a bit muddy. You can see the problem in Photoshop if you go to "selective colour" and change the values as in the screen grab, just rebalancing the yellow channel gives more depth and "air" to the picture, at least this is what I personally think:

I have this yellowing problem with several of my Nikkor lenses, they put a warm cast on my pictures, so when I use them I always set a cooler white balance in the camera to compensate.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep early morning and late afternoon are the best hours to take outdoor shots because of the more diffused light.

Btw, the almighty photoshop can recover some haze using curves Wink