Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kyoei f3.5 180mm + Speedbooster in park
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Kyoei f3.5 180mm + Speedbooster in park Reply with quote

All shot wide open at the last hour...

Full set is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157680460057840

Last edited by kds315* on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:53 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow!
What a trip man. Far out!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Oh wow!
What a trip man. Far out!

Yep, finally after two years, it got some proper use and I'm quite blown away!

Had to get my head free, so what is better the grabbing a great lens and head out?!

PS: Thanks again Luis for letting me have it, what a treat this is my friend....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with the speedbooster you are showing us what else was in the frame.
With APS-C I wasn't making the best use of it.
And there you are, it is excellent for the creamy bokeh, a real Sonnar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats quite a world traveller, that lens.
From Japan to the US, Wisconsin I think, then to California, where it went to the banks of the Tuolumne, then back across the Pacific to Manila where I did not use it (fool that I was), then back to San Francisco and then to Germany.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 You have done it again....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Well, with the speedbooster you are showing us what else was in the frame.
With APS-C I wasn't making the best use of it.
And there you are, it is excellent for the creamy bokeh, a real Sonnar.

Yep, wonderful creamy bokeh it has indeed!!

luisalegria wrote:
Thats quite a world traveller, that lens.
From Japan to the US, Wisconsin I think, then to California, where it went to the banks of the Tuolumne, then back across the Pacific to Manila where I did not use it (fool that I was), then back to San Francisco and then to Germany.

Now that's quite a story!!! Wink Wink Wink

Last edited by kds315* on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 You have done it again....

I try my best Chris, thanks! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, those pics are beautiful Klaus!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice
The light is beautiful!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great eye for colour.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good indeed, Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, marvelous! The level of detail is extraordinary and the bokeh are just beautiful.

I own a Kyoei Super Acall 135mm f/3.5. After seeing your photos, I think I'd really love to own a 180mm f/3.5 as well. Is yours an LTM? I got a lens brochure with my current copy of the 135/3.5, and I'm pretty sure the 180 is listed in it. I'll have to dig it out and look it up.

I've owned the Siuper Acall 135mm since 1984. I bought it because it was attached to a Canon rangefinder IVsb that I wanted. I recall going to a camera show about a year later, asking the dealers about the lens -- I'd never heard of it, and wanted more information on it. I ended up having a brief conversation with an elderly fellow, who I later came to know very well when I became a camera dealer -- Gene Lester, of famous Hollywood photographer fame. He had done a lot of work with Marylin Monroe and other movie stars of the 1950s. Anyway, when Gene looked at my Kyoei Super Acall, he pinched his nose between two fingers to let me know what he thought of it. I'd used it some by then -- it was the only lens I had for that camera -- and I thought it did a decent job. More than likely, Gene thought it was junk because it was an LTM lens coming from Japan instead of Germany.

Fast forward several years and like a dolt, I sold that Canon rf and the lenses I'd accumulated for it. Didn't get much for the Kyoei. Now, fast forward a couple of decades and change and I had bought another Canon rangefinder, and I wanted that same Kyoei Super Acall back. Well, I found a few on eBay, but they were all surprisingly expensive. Apparently the Kyoei lenses had established something of a reputation while I'd been absent from the scene. I finally found one that was offered through an auction, and picked it up for a much lower price than all the BINs.

One of the first things I did after getting it sorted out was to shoot a roll of black & white with it, see how it was. The lens performed well. So these days I consider Kyoei optics to be worth paying attention to. And yours proves my conviction in spades. What a wonderful job it does!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is yours an LTM?"

This is M42

My writeup on it - the same lens thats done so well here -

http://forum.mflenses.com/kyoei-acall-180-3-5-m42-a-rare-lens-t14579,highlight,%2Bkyoei.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys and thanks Luis for the clarification Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautiful rending. Never own one of these.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw. here a few test images I took before, showing how sharp and flat field that lens really is (fully open) using my rather well known test targets

That gold ball usually shows massive CA (if it is there), not here tho

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you into slide (reversal) photography in a previous life kds? Your style is so reminiscent of it, to me at least. I feel like I could walk into the scene of pic #1 in your original post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Were you into slide (reversal) photography in a previous life kds? Your style is so reminiscent of it, to me at least. I feel like I could walk into the scene of pic #1 in your original post.

Yes, I have, many thousands of them, after my phase with bw film and darkroom came for many years Kodacolor slide film work!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

Yes, I have, many thousands of them, after my phase with bw film and darkroom came for many years Kodacolor slide film work!

Erm . . . I don't mean to pick nits, but Kodacolor has been a C-41 process for as long as I can remember. Maybe you meant Kodachrome?

I'm also a super big fan/user of slide film. I wish it weren't so expensive nowadays. And yes, I miss Kodachrome.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

Erm . . . I don't mean to pick nits, but Kodacolor has been a C-41 process for as long as I can remember. Maybe you meant Kodachrome?

I'm also a super big fan/user of slide film. I wish it weren't so expensive nowadays. And yes, I miss Kodachrome.

Yes, you're correct: Kodachrome, had amazing colors and was just a week turnaround to get the film back as slides

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Kodachrome, had amazing colors and was just a week turnaround to get the film back as slides

Thanks.

I never tried slides, but I do appreciate their qualities. You could actually get Kodacolor slides if I remember, and it was written as such on the holders. Perhaps that's what you were originally remembering.