Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Korsar 35mm 1:2.8 from Kiev 35A
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Korsar 35mm 1:2.8 from Kiev 35A Reply with quote

I was looking for a broken Minox 35 to remove the 3e/4g tessar type lens to reuse on digital MILC when I spotted a broken Kiev 35A for the price of a pint of beer and grabbed it. I knew it was a copy of the Minox and expected the lens to be a tessar type too, but apparently, it's not, it's a 5 element type:

Quote:
The Kiev 35A (Киев-35A) is a 35mm fixed-lens compact camera made in Ukraine by Arsenal between 1985 and 1991. An export version was also known as the Exxell Automatik. It is a close copy of the Minox 35 EL, with some slight differences (the Kiev has a multicoated 5-element Korsar 35mm 1:2.8 lens, versus the 4-element lens on the Minox, and lacks a battery check button). The front of the lens has a diameter of 31.5mm for push-on accessories.

I have the lens removed from the camera and will start mounting it for use tomorrow, it has a funky 2-bladed iris.

Anyone got any experience of using this lens, or a Kiev 35A?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounted it for Sony E-mount. Just a quick test on my NEX-3, wide open at f2.8. Light was abysmal but the lens does okay, looks quite sharp, but I'll reserve judgment for decent light and a proper test.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that the Korsar is sharper than the Color Minotar, which would be some going as my Minox lens is a gem!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a stitched shot BTW...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's one hell of a nice stitch!

The Minotar is a 4e/3g tessar type, single coated, later they had a multicoated version called the Minoxar.

The Korsar has 5 elements and is multicoated, so it has the potential to be sharper I suppose.

I never managed to find any info on the Korsar, not even a diagram of it's optical layout so I don't know what type of lens it is, I suspect it is a Biometar type, althought those are usually called a Vega in the Russian naming scheme.

Or, it may be a Sonnar type, perhaps they copied the Sonnar used by Rollei and Contax on their fixed lens cameras. The Rollei 35 with Sonnar 2.8/40 is famous for the excellence of it's lens, and that lens was refined to produce the Sonnar 2.8/38 used on the Contax T and T2. Nikon also produced very similar sonnar type for the L35AF, a camera renowned or the excellence of it's lens.

Here's some info from Marco Cavina:

http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/lenses_for_35mm_compact_cameras/00_pag.htm

Anyways, I'm just guessing, all I know is that it's a 5 element lens.

Looking forward to some sunshine to try it out more.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always smile when I see the lens, as it's so ridiculously small, yet so incredibly capable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work guys!

Is this lens a straightforward adaptation, or is there a lot of work involved in making it work on a mirrorless?

I'm all for small lenses, and also have a thing with Soviet-cams, so this is definitely interesting for me Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very easy job, not much more than glueing the lens assembly to a C mount adapter and hey presto!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots from both lenses! You provoke a desire to get one...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a brand new one cheap from Russia:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-KIEV-KORSAR-2-8-35-mm-Lens-for-KIEV-35-35A-Camera-by-Arsenal-Kiev/282724461005?hash=item41d3b0e9cd:g:LdgAAOSwrFtaAbhc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
You can get a brand new one cheap from Russia:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-KIEV-KORSAR-2-8-35-mm-Lens-for-KIEV-35-35A-Camera-by-Arsenal-Kiev/282724461005?hash=item41d3b0e9cd:g:LdgAAOSwrFtaAbhc

Thanks, I was already wondering whether that was the same lens, and wanted to ask about it. But you beat me to it Smile
At this price, I couldn't let it pass... shipping of a complete camera is already more expensive than this lens incl shipping.