Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kony-Omega camera 6x7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Kony-Omega camera 6x7 Reply with quote

The film was Ilford 400 BW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more sumple:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And one more

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Excellent result.

Which model/lens combination do you have?

I have some different Koni-Omegas and lenses. However, I didn't use them for a long time.
Actually I'm getting old and lazy. Wink

Ilford HP5? That was always my favorite one for middle format shooting. Great film.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots using a great old medium format classic!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own "Rapid" with the Hexanon 90/3.5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
I own "Rapid" with the Hexanon 90/3.5

Nice shots! I am glad to see them because I just took mine out recently (http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1449557.html#1449557) for the first time,
but I see your photos have a bigger variety of shades.

Plus more interesting focus.

I have the Rapid also, but with the Super Omegon 3.5/90mm lens.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my memory serves me right, the latest models have been produced by Mamiya (Omegon lenses). The older Konica produced models had the Hexanon lenses.
Though, I don't know any differences. Most probably there are none.
I'll check in my inventory if I have both versions. I don't know yet.
I think I have 3 different bodies of Rapid M, Omega 100 and 200 with all the lenses and different additional film holders. Maybe some doubles.
So could eventually be interesting if somebody want's to swap something.
I don't sell. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:

Ilford HP5 rocks! As I already stated before.....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
uddhava wrote:

Ilford HP5 rocks! As I already stated before.....

OK, but i was also thinking it was the subject with many different shades.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="uddhava"][quote="tb_a"]
uddhava wrote:

OK, but i was also thinking it was the subject with many different shades.

It was really at the quite gloomy weather.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you may believe whatever you like. Wink

My personal experience is that there is no better film than the HP5 when you are looking for the most variety of shades between deep black and snowy white.
And I've tried many different films also from different producers and developed all myself.
By using certain techniques basically developed by Anselm Adams you can push this even further.

BTW, until the invention of digital HDR multi exposure technique there was no other chance to reach a comparable tonal range on color.

If you get deeper into that subject you will certainly realize that this is not only my personal opinion. There are many books around about B&W photography that will tell you the same story. On digital only Leica has put some efforts into B&W photography as they even developed a specific camera for that. There have been valid reasons for that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Well, you may believe whatever you like. Wink

I have no knowledge of what films are the best or any opinion. If you say that is the best film
I have to agree. Thank you for the recommendation of that film.
Still is that the only consideration? I am curious about that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:

I have no knowledge of what films are the best or any opinion. If you say that is the best film
I have to agree. Thank you for the recommendation of that film.
Still is that the only consideration? I am curious about that.

I've mentioned that already some days ago in your thread about the Koni Omega:

Quote:
My favorite B&W film was always the Ilford HP5 because of its very broad contrast spectrum and its wide exposure latitude.
Certainly a yellow filter is nice to show more clouds, etc.
You may also optimize the exposure settings by using a more selective measuring method (spot metering).
The Anselm Adams method may further improve your results: http://goo.gl/JvEVZ2
However, you should at least consider to develop B&W film yourself as this offers additional possibilities.

My B&W photography improved considerably by reading a lot about and by adopting the spot metering method to set the focus on the most important details of the picture.
As a first step the use of a grey card may also help to avoid over- or under-exposed pictures which may wash-out the lighter areas or blacken the darker areas.
It took me some time and effort to learn all that. Wink
As a general guidance you should also know that the "sharper" films with lower ISO have less tonal varieties than the more sensitive ones like HP5.
You can even push the HP5 quite easily to sensitivities up to 3600: http://goo.gl/SW73DB

Anyway, it's a quite interesting subject and you learn also a lot for color photography and digital as well. Wink