Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konost: a new digital FF rangefinder?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Attila wrote:
still under development... 99,9% chance is will never go to production.

and 99,9% chance it will be (much) more expensive than A7 series. If I have budget, I will buy a Leica M 240 which is available now. Wink

it would make zero business sense to price this product anywhere near the M240. and it should be more expensive than the sony A series because its brand new tech and a totally different focusing system-- like comparing apples and cows.

Where is the new tech?

The digital rangefinder on this new camera works similar to a optical rangefinder. The only difference is it capture the secondary image through an secondary image sensor and overlay the image to the optical viewfinder. In a optical rangefinder, the image is projected from second window to the optical viewfinder via mirror and beam-splitter. Please correct me if I am wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first, i'm not certain we know exactly what the vf will technically incorporate. second, if it was a matter of 'only' this or that, and its so simple a child could do it, why has no one done it? it easy to be an 'arm-chair quarterback', especially without complete information. personally, never having built anything of significance myself, i have a healthy respect and admiration for those who do.

EDIT, from the link in the next post:

''One of the most interesting features of the Konost FF is the way in which it achieves digital rangefinder focusing. Rather than using a traditional rangefinder mechanism, the camera instead features a secondary image sensor, the round window next to the lens. The image this produces is calibrated to the lens position and then electronically displayed as the rangefinder focus patch in the optical viewfinder.

This approach cuts manufacturing and maintenance costs, while still allowing users to compose shots using the optical viewfinder, and manually focus the camera in typical rangefinder fashion by ensuring the images line up with each other. Rangefinder traditionalists will also be pleased to note that the Konost FF will use M-mount lenses and that the camera is being designed around the idea of simple manual controls.''

Last edited by rbelyell on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Some more info. Reply with quote

http://www.gizmag.com/konos-ff-digital-rangefinder-full-frame/36282/

Talking about having one working prototype and a release date sometime next year.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that they are working on APSC and 1" versions too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Some more info. Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/konos-ff-digital-rangefinder-full-frame/36282/

Talking about having one working prototype and a release date sometime next year.

their biggest problem is that they should have in now on the market and well cheaper than Leicas Confused

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Some more info. Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

their biggest problem is that they should have in now on the market and well cheaper than Leicas Confused

I agree but they have to start somewhere, kudos for trying. The idea that this could be done is encouraging to say the least. As long as the old wide angle lens issues were properly resolved. It will be done eventually,by someone, it's just a matter of time. Which is a precious commodity in the fast changing digital world. We may all be using holograms before this gets issued onto the market. Laughing
2k or under and it will sell,I'm sure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cute, but I'd think that it would look a bit less so with the lens mounted the photo seen on the LCD was taken with Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture is Phil Jones of Man Utd tackling Luis Suarez of Liverpool at Old Trafford. The other two players are Chris Smalling and Jordan Henderson. The picture was probably taken on a Canon or Nikon DSLR with a 2.8/80-200 or similar.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a 3D computer model not a real-world mock-up?

I think the viewfider looks most fake, that can't be lit like that in real world. The artist has put a little lamp inside to show the cute construction. In real world one couldn't see the internals.

How much of the picture is modelled and what part is real. Is the lens real or modelled?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linking to the Konost image on Facebook, I think they have machined at least one!

Note: I would have told this to display it smaller, but I can't get the width paramater for the img tag to work...