Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica UC Hexanon 4/80-200 on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I like the FT-1, very nice camera, I like using it with my ultrawides. Attila tells me the FC-1 and FS-1 are the best two.

I have a later version FS-1 which appears to be in excellent shape. It takes 4 AA batteries, which is great, but I'm not used to all electric cameras. I read that the film winder/ threads itself when loading...yikes, ok. Do you know of a on-line manual? I'm just familiar with this site. http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eFS-1Haupt.html
Great pictures, too, Ian!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspen wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I like the FT-1, very nice camera, I like using it with my ultrawides. Attila tells me the FC-1 and FS-1 are the best two.

I have a later version FS-1 which appears to be in excellent shape. It takes 4 AA batteries, which is great, but I'm not used to all electric cameras. I read that the film winder/ threads itself when loading...yikes, ok. Do you know of a on-line manual? I'm just familiar with this site. http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eFS-1Haupt.html
Great pictures, too, Ian!!!

http://butkus.org/chinon/konica/konica_fs-1/konica_fs-1.htm
Theres the manual

Or you can buy an original
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-KONICA-FS-1-INSTRUCTION-MANUAL-/360433965117?pt=UK_Photography_Manuals_Guides&hash=item53eb89d83d#ht_544wt_1165

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, really like this one, nice 'scape for the layers of light:

The UC coating was supposed to rival Zeiss' T* coating, whether it does, is arguable. Konica
did spend some money on the UC stable of lenses. I like that this zoom has a pull-out hood,
very handy. Gonna pollute your thread with a few more film pix:

Memories 200 (rebadged Konica Centuria)

the cat pic is KG200 (very expired) of my dearly departed Maine Coon that died Nov 30. The
BW is AP 400 pushed to 800 using HC-110E, 10 mins, 20C

looking forward to your film pix!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice film pics, thanks for sharing.

The only issue I have with this UC lens is the size and weight, it's just too wobbly mounted on the front of my NEX, I need to find a tripod ring for it. Other than that, I really like it, clearly in the upper strata of zoom lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the difference between this and Konica 80-200/3.5? I have found both on eBay and that got me wondering, does anyone have any experience on that?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubrig wrote:
What is the difference between this and Konica 80-200/3.5? I have found both on eBay and that got me wondering, does anyone have any experience on that?

Weight Laughing Laughing 3.5 EE is a giant lens

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Weight Laughing Laughing 3.5 EE is a giant lens

I thought the f/4 lens was already heavy, I gues the difference must be considerable Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F4 is a little boy vs f3.5 I have both.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UC 4/80-200 is very big and heavy, bigger and heavier than the Mamiya 3.5/80-200, Vivitar Series 1 3.5/70-210 and just about any other big zoom I've owned apart from the real monster ones like a Tokina-made Hoya 75-260 and a 1960's Yashinon zoom I forget the exact stats of now.

I'm guessing the 3.5/80-200 is a real beast, Konica zooms are in general, pretty big and heavy, it's because the engineering is superb and they use a lot of glass elements. I have the UC 45-100 and that is a stunning lens, very heavy and large for it's range and has exceptionally nice engineering and build quality. I also have the 28-135 which has 19 elements and it's very heavy and large for what it is.

But the image quality of them is excellent, by far the best zooms I've ever owned, probably the only step up from these Konica zooms is to T* Vario-Sonnars or some of the more exotic Leica zooms.