Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Konica Hexanon Reply with quote

Are all Konica Hexanon prime lenses top notch or are there any to avoid? Which ones really stand out from the crowd for quality?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deal with Konica is pretty much the same as with Canon, Minolta, Nikon or Olympus. Frankly, I am not aware of any unquestionably bad prime from any of these companies. However, some people (notably buhla) throw words like "sharpest ever built by anyone" regarding budget lenses like Hexanon 40/1.8 and 50/1.7 and this is just fanboy speak. IMHO as long as you use common sense, it's hard to go wrong with any Hexanon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the best ones are:

15/2.8 UC Fish-eye
21/2.8
28/1.8 UC
57/1.2

Almost all Hexanon AR lenses are very good but the above four stand out in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgar ive had most of them and i thought the two best were the 57/1.4 and the 24/2.8. next on and still very good were the 28/3.5 and the 40/1.8, followed by pretty much any of the 50s. many love the 85, but i didnt like my copy, especially for the money as its pretty expensive. i much preferred the 100/2.8. for about the same price as the konica 85 you could get the much better pancolar in m42.

the only problem with AR lenses is i think you cant use them on any digicams with mirrors--the register distance i believe only works on mirrorless digicams.
tony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Konica Hexanon Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Are all Konica Hexanon prime lenses top notch or are there any to avoid? Which ones really stand out from the crowd for quality?

For what it's worth, the 57/1.2 ranked last in a 1980 Color Foto comparison of fast standard lenses.
http://www.kameradoktor.de/50er2.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all very good, there isn't a weak one in the whole line-up imho.

The lesser ones are the later ones with plastic barrels, but even those are very good.

1.8/40, 1.8/50, later 5 element 3.5/28, and the three Hexars - 3.5/28, 3.5/135 and 4/200 are the lesser ones, I have them all and am selling them all as I most of the other Hexanons and don't need them.

Personal favourites are the 4/21, 2.8/24, 3.5/28 7 element version, 2.8/35 early F mount, 1.7/50 (it is as sharp as buhla says), 1.4/50, 1.4/57, 3.2/135 and 3.5/200.

Don't overlook the Konica zooms either, they are all very good too, the UC 45-100 and UC 80-200 are must haves. The last version of the 35-70 with plastic barrel is the only one I've had that was disappointing, and it's still very good, just lacks that biting sharpness of the Konica primes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
The deal with Konica is pretty much the same as with Canon, Minolta, Nikon or Olympus. Frankly, I am not aware of any unquestionably bad prime from any of these companies. However, some people (notably buhla) throw words like "sharpest ever built by anyone" regarding budget lenses like Hexanon 40/1.8 and 50/1.7 and this is just fanboy speak. IMHO as long as you use common sense, it's hard to go wrong with any Hexanon.

+1 I say who hold almost all Konica Hexanons Wink

I found some of them stunning like all UC Hexanons , I also rate very high, old F mount lenses like 35mm, 100mm,
Konica 21mm f2.8 also outstanding. Konica 28mm f3.5 silver nose, 200mm silver nose , 135mm f2.5, 135mm f3.2 , Konica 24mmm come to my mind as remarkable in their focal length.
Rest of it usally good as than Nikon , Minolta , Olympus etc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/konica/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

+1 I say who hold almost all Konica Hexanons Wink

I found some of them stunning like all UC Hexanons , I also rate very high, old F mount lenses like 35mm, 100mm,
Konica 21mm f2.8 also outstanding. Konica 28mm f3.5 silver nose, 200mm silver nose , 135mm f2.5, 135mm f3.2 , Konica 24mmm come to my mind as remarkable in their focal length.
Rest of it usally good as than Nikon , Minolta , Olympus etc

+1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Konica Hexanon Reply with quote

Bille wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

For what it's worth, the 57/1.2 ranked last in a 1980 Color Foto comparison of fast standard lenses.
http://www.kameradoktor.de/50er2.jpg

As far as I can see it is ranked ahead of Noktilux Wink Btw, I wasn't aware that there was Yashica ML 55/1.2. This lens never shows up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Konica Hexanon Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:

the cheap hexanon 135 3.2 is pretty good. my 50 1.4 isn't that great but the 57 1.4 isn't bad at all. more importantly they're really cheap, but hard to get them now, the supply is draining fast.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Konica Hexanon Reply with quote

clockwork247 wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

the cheap hexanon 135 3.2 is pretty good. my 50 1.4 isn't that great but the 57 1.4 isn't bad at all. more importantly they're really cheap, but hard to get them now, the supply is draining fast.

H'mm strange as my Hexanon 50mm f1.4 is very sharp (dunno WO as I'm not interested), well on a film camera. But I might have "not the best" copy of a Hexanon 135mm f3.5 as it's not as sharp as my breechlock Canon 135mm f3.5 or Sonnar 135mm f2.8....but you would have to pixel peep to show the difference.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hexanon 135/3.5 is ok but it isn't as good as the 135/2.5 or the 135/3.2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hexanon 3.5/135 is usually better than okay, I have had four of them and they do vary, depending on age. The oldest one I have is an early AR mount with chrome band, this lens is razor sharp, the least good is the late one, but it's still very good.

The 3.2/135 is better, but not by all that much and sometimes I prefer to use the old 3.5, they render differently.

One good thing about Konica lenses - there doesn't seem to be as much copy variation as you tend to find with some other makers, for instance, the copy of the Canon FD 3.5/135 I had was not comparable to the Konica 135s, softer and with CA, but I suspect my copy of the Canon was a bit of a dog.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disliked the often recommended 40/1.8
My copy was rather soft wide open, it had annoying CAs and I disliked the colors
Somewhat worse than all the ~50-60mm and 28mm and 35mm Konicas I tried at every aperture.

All 50-60mm Konicas I tried are decent - comparable with their Zeiss, Rollei, Minolta, Nikon... counterparts - you can't go wrong with them imo.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
My copy was rather soft wide open, it had annoying CAs and I disliked the colors
Somewhat worse than all the ~50-60mm Konicas I tried at every aperture.

same here, it's fun for portrait though, the softness adds a touch to it. also it's a 40mm 1.8 FF for like 40 bucks, that's not there anywhere for any manufacture at the time, the closest one is the minolta 45 2...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clockwork247 wrote:
ForenSeil wrote:
Somewhat worse than all the ~50-60mm Konicas I tried at every aperture.

same here, it's fun for portrait though, the softness adds a touch to it. also it's a 40mm 1.8 FF for like 40 bucks, that's not there anywhere for any manufacture at the time, the closest one is the minolta 45 2...

I think the price a big point here. If you compare it with the prices of other fast 35-40mm lenses it's very very cheap.
For example Zeiss Planar and Zeiss Biogon 35/2, Leitz Summicron 35/2 and 40/2, Cosina Voigtländer Nokton 40/1.4, 35/1.4 Cosina Voigtländer Utron 35/1.7 and 40/2, Minolta MC/MD W. Rokkor 35/1.8, Canon FD 35/1.8 SSC are all better but also somewhat more expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so you say there are better lenses but the Hexanon 40mm f1.8 is still up amongst the "close 2nd" best and wont disappoint :-

Hexanon 40mm f1.8 on film

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, as now that i think about it, i liked the 40 much much better on film than on digital.
tony

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
interesting, as now that i think about it, i liked the 40 much much better on film than on digital.
tony

Well just to encourage film use and Hexanon lenses more Wink Hexanon lenses and Fuji Superia or Reala like each other and I'm quite sure in this snap it is the Hexanon 40mm as if it was the Hexanon 28mm it would be a wider view. Anyway if it was the 28mm it shows that is a VG lens as well:-

Hexanon 40mm f1.8 and it would be at f8 or f11 at 1/250 in this sunny country.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all your replies, very informative!

Since getting the MF bug 3 years ago I've accumulated a lot of lenses, nearly 100 at last count; none of them particularly valuable. But 100 lenses is crazy, with so many how often do I get to use them all? Not often. So now that I know what I like and what are good I am only investing in quality glass as and when I can afford it. For my purposes Konica Hexanon seems to be a good compromise. I already have the AR 3.5/28 and AR 1.8/50 with the AR 1.8/40 and AR 3.5/135 in transit. The 28mm hasn't been off my NEX since I got it. I think I've fallen in love with Konica Hexanon lenses! Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Last edited by DigiChromeEd on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:05 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Thanks everyone for all your replies, very informative!

Since getting the MF bug 3 years ago I've accumulated a lot of lenses, nearly 100 at last count; none of them particularly valuable. But 100 lenses is crazy, with so many how often do I get to use them all? Not often. So now that I know what I like and what are good I am only investing in quality glass as and when I can afford it. For my purposes Konica Hexanon seems to be a good compromise. I already have the AR 2.8/35 and AR 1.8/50 with the AR 1.8/40 and AR 3.5/135 in transit. The 35mm hasn't been off my NEX since I got it. I think I've fallen in love with Konica Hexanon lenses! Embarassed Rolling Eyes

I don't agree with you. 100 lenses is not at all crazy in 2013. Answer this question:

Can you take great photographs and have fun with gold bars or coins?

I cannot. Yet MF lenses are at least as fine a store of value provided you care properly for them. The paper money, regardless European, American, or whatever, we trade for our MF lenses is becoming more worthless with each passing day. The lenses endure. And in particular regarding your topic of Hexanons:

Hexanon AR MF lenses pack a double whammy. First, they are of generally good optical quality. But second and of equal importance, they are today experiencing a serious applicability expansion owing to m4/3. Both these things mitigate to maintain and enhance value.

Remember the Hexanon ARs, all of them, are designed to serve and are completely capable of serving a full size 35mm format. Thus, as m4/3 camera sensors increase in size going forward, the Hexanons will continue to serve well and will hold their value.

So buy lots of crystal cat litter, then treasure and enjoy your Hexanon AR lenses. They are daily becoming more valuable. They are better than cash . . . . . a lot better. And you cannot take great photos with cash. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
I don't agree with you. 100 lenses is not at all crazy in 2013.

I mean crazy in the sense that I don't have the time to enjoy all of them individually to the extent I want to or they deserve. Having said that, I don't intend selling any of them either! Wink Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
guardian wrote:
I don't agree with you. 100 lenses is not at all crazy in 2013.

I mean crazy in the sense that I don't have the time to enjoy all of them individually to the extent I want to or they deserve. Having said that, I don't intend selling any of them either! Wink Very Happy

Ah HA!!

So now I understand. You are crazy after all . . . . . . . . . . . . like a fox!! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another competitor for Hexagon AR...

hm, can't see anything wrong about 100+ lenses. You are completely normal.