Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon AR 3.5/28 7-element EE version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Konica Hexanon AR 3.5/28 7-element EE version Reply with quote

Hi folks

Picked up a mint copy of this lens in leather case for 26ukp. It's all metal, feels very well built, focus is silky smooth and the paerture snappy with half-stop detentes, quite compact too.

Just a quick test at f8, looks pretty sharp with good contrast:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks very sharp - even I can easily read the street sign for St Georges Terrace in the last image.

I'd say that its definitely a keeper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pix. congrats on finding out about mf's best kept secret, these fantastic konica ar lenses! i have only recently gotten into them myself and now have the 21/4, 24/2.8, 28/3.5, 40/1.8, 57/1.4 and just yesterday the 85/1.8. for fun, i picked up a konica tc-x film cam for $10 and ive been having a blast. the cam is the smallest/lightest 35mm interchangeable lens cam ive seen. on 'ar' or 'ee' lens setting cam meters wide open for easy focusing and stops down only when shutter is pressed. i'm really having tremendous fun with this setup and highly recommend it to those who love these lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Ian, great results. I can see these Konicas becoming the next Zeiss in price.
May i recomend that you perform the following on the NEX
Go to Brightness/ Colour
then choose Creative Style Vivid and set to -1 0 0
And shoot in vivid mode with those settings

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Very nice Ian, great results. I can see these Konicas becoming the next Zeiss in price.
Go to Brightness/ Colour

+1 I also use Vivid mode.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Go to Brightness/ Colour

As an Konica lenses user and enthousiast myself ,i fully agree

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try those settings, cheers.

This is my third Hexanon, I also have the 1.8/50 and 3.5/135, need to collect more before the prices get high, Rokkors and Canon FD lenses were peanuts a couple of years ago, not anymore.

Some closeups wide open, not as sharp, obviously as at f8, maybe there is a little camera shake going on, despite shooting at 1/200 sec?

I like the bokeh a lot - very smooth.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,speaking of Konica I have just received a Koni-Omega Rapid c/w 90mm f3.5 Hexanon there appears to be 2 other focal lengths for this camera but none on Ebay as you are very good with knowledge of many lenses do you have any pointers where some of these lenses may be unearthed or would I be better off selling the camera and buying some other 6x7?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have set the NEX as suggested, Vivid mode with contrast turned down to -1, is this correct? I'm a little confused as to why I should turn down the contrast, what effect will these settings have on the images?

It's dark here now but I'm going to go try some long exposures with the Hexanon 28.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Hi Ian,speaking of Konica I have just received a Koni-Omega Rapid c/w 90mm f3.5 Hexanon there appears to be 2 other focal lengths for this camera but none on Ebay as you are very good with knowledge of many lenses do you have any pointers where some of these lenses may be unearthed or would I be better off selling the camera and buying some other 6x7?

I have Koni Omega Rapid with 60mm lens, you can't buy any other camera which is produce better images. No matter how much you pay for ....

This camera produce outstanding images.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:

There is a 180mm for the Koni, there is a mint boxed one on ebay UK now, just under 50ukp with 13 hours left:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/konica-hexanon-180-mm-f-4-5-lens-koni-omega-/320759141188?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item4aaebc1344

I believe Attila knows more about the Omega lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to adapt the Koni Omega Hexanons to another camera? Something like a P6-EOS or NEX adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if youre thinking of more ar lenses, might i suggest the 40/1.8 which is the perfect street lens and still cheap. if its ok to pay a little more, the 85/1.8 is totally amazing, maybe the best of the bunch. i only wish i could put it on my 5d to compare it against my planar T 85/1.4, its that good. i also like the 24/2.8 better than the 28/3.5, but its close to $200. i also just love that all the ar lenses (except the 21/4.0) have the same 55mm filter thread--how 'bout that, thinking of the consumer! what a concept.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.8/40 is next on my shopping list, the size will make it a near ideal walkaround lens on my NEX. Thanks for the tip about the 85mm, I don't have any lenses in the 75-100 apart from zooms and enlarger lenses so that one is another I will eventually pick up. I'd love the 24 too as the only 24 I have is a Hoya which is very good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 24mm is just as good as the yashica ml, but smaller.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
the 24mm is just as good as the yashica ml, but smaller.

+1 it was my permanent lens on G1 and still with me all time for NEX and NX.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forwar to comparing my Yashicas to my Hexanons, I have 2.8/28, 2.8/35 and 1.8/50 Yashica MLs and 3.5/28, 1.8/50 and 3.5/135 Hexanons.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian you have it correct the 1st contrast i beleive set to -1 and all others at 0
The vivid setting produces great colours on the nex but as default from factory with most decent lenses the contrast is two much drop it 1 notch and its the perfect setting on the nex imho and several others also +1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ian and Attila,that is why I love this forum, so many experienced photographers who are willing to share their knowledge and experience because even though I have been at it for over 50years I still try to learn something new every day.So I will go get me some film and try out the koni-omega,thanks for the heads up on 180mm.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 years is about 45 years longer than me, I did 4-5 years in the 90s with BW film then bought a DSLR 6 months ago, been obsessed ever since.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward your shoots! read manual first , film transport , loading to avoid surprise.

Here is my latest roll
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/japanese/Konica/koni-omega-fomapan-100/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots Attila,love the one with wall and so many historical buildings,as an ex Brit living in Canada 43 yrs I miss Europe and the history but moving to Ecuador in November, no more snow and cold for this boy and cost of living 1/4 of what it cost me now to live very comfortable.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, speaking of Yashicas,among the truck load of stuff I received from deceased Photographers estate I find a Contax RTS + winder,Yashica FR+winder & following Yashica lenses dsb 28mm f2.8,dsb 50mm f1.9,ml 55mm f2.8 macro,ml 42-75mm f3.5-4.5,ml 80-200 f4 and Vivitar 2x ex. and a Contax infra red controller and Yashica data back NIB with price sticker $99.95(out of date of course only goes to 1993).Lot more stuff to go through and some will eventually go to Marketplace.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using this lens a lot recently for landscape work and it does a wonderful job imho.