Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon AR 28-135 f4-4.5 zoom - reaction and samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Konica Hexanon AR 28-135 f4-4.5 zoom - reaction and samples Reply with quote

I bought this with two other KH lenses in a lot. Based on favorable reviews I saw here, I thought this was worth a try. I was looking for a zoom that had a bit more reach than my Vivitar S1 28-90 as an all purpose lens to take out when I am with my impatient family. I get enough eye rolling without having to change lenses.

Anyhow, initial results are very pleasing. Contrast, color saturation, and focus seem quite good across the range and I did very little PP. Here are some samples, the first taken in bright sunlight between ISO 100-200 on my Fuji XE-1. The snow shots taken between 400-800 as the yard is both shady and the sky is overcast.

My only minor complaint thus far is that the bokeh is nothing extra and I wouldn't mind if it were a bit faster. But, hey, it's a zoom not a prime.

It is relatively heavy, but compact.

Thanks for looking!

Sun:

Snow:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made by Tokina to a Konica design so also seen as a Tokina ATX.

Big, heavy but wonderful, perhaps the best zoom I have tried.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be the same or similar lens as the Minolta AF 28-135 4-4,5? I'm asking since both share specs and formidable performance…

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llumiombres wrote:
Could it be the same or similar lens as the Minolta AF 28-135 4-4,5? I'm asking since both share specs and formidable performance…

Maybe similar, but I'm pretty sure the Minolta was made by Minolta. While looking at the pictures, I was wondering something very similar, whether the performance is as good as Minolta 35-105, only because I don't have the 28-135 secret handshake. Judy may be able to give a comparison soon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the light is better tomorrow, I can post a picture of the lens if you want to compare it to the Minolta.

Here are the specs from http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/eHexanonUebersicht.html

28-135 mm F4-4.6 Zoom-Hexanon AR
Angle of View: 75°-18°
18 elements in 12 groups
Aperture AE / 22-26
Closest focusing: 0.5-1.5 m (1ft 711/16"-4ft 11")
filter: 67 mm
Length: 114 mm (4 2/3")
Weight: 800 g 1 lb 121/4 oz)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was speaking more of images from it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I was speaking more of images from it.

Yes, of course; I was responding to the previous post by llumiombres.

When the Minolta arrives, I'll do a head-to-head comparison of the two! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a very decent lens.
Thank you for sharing these results.
How does it compare with the Vivitar S1 28-90 IQ wise, do you think?
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH, the only real quibble I have with the Vivitar S1 28-90 is that it seems to do poorly at the wide end, at least with the camera body I use. Particularly with landscapes, I see often see blown highlights and loss of definition in the far distance. I also wouldn't mind if it went to f22 instead of only f16. I have gotten many wonderful shots in the middle of its range. It seems to do especially well for portraits and for urban settings. I do like that it is faster than the KH for low light situations.

Color-wise, I really like how the Vivitar renders reds and yellows. Overall colors seem slightly more neutral and less contrasty that the KH. The KH lenses that I have tried deliver really bright, punchy blues and greens. Sometimes I like that cooler palette and sometimes I want something a bit more technicolor. I intend to keep both lenses as each renders differently and both deliver images that are very pleasing to my eye.

Hope this makes sense. When time permits, I'll put up some samples from the Vivitar. In the meantime, here's a couple that I took in NY which hopefully will convey what I am trying to put into words. The day was overcast and approaching evening.

Last edited by JJB on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:23 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your assessment.
Those images have wonderful colour and I can see what you mean.
I have the Vivitar and like it very much but I do not have the Hexanon.
So many good lenses out there
OH